Sign in to follow this  
RolexAddict

3 Rolex GMT Master revisited

RolexAddict

Hi guys,

When we start with reps we are like kids, traking the shipping, affraid by the "Handled by Customs" Spectre, waiting for the delivery... Then, we are contemplating "The Watch" we got... We are happy. :lolcina:

Then we surf on rep forums, collectors forums, we learn, we buy books and learn more and more. Then we start to observe, mesure, compare, learn more again about specs, and...

The Time Piece we bought 6 months ago, this one we are so proud to wear or to show... now looks like a Perfect Piece of Shit !!! :drunksing:

This is the premices of THE REP COLLECTOR ANAL SYNDROM.

The first alert is when you stand up tight in your bed the morning, :Drinking2: (with eyes going out from orbites like in Tex Avery cartoons :Drinking2: or like from the EMS shipping sorting from the GUANGZHOU SORTING CENTER) and ask your wife: "Who has the best Sub???" or "the perfect insert pearl ???"

you are ready for a psychiatric exam. :beer:

Welcome to the Club !!! :lol:

So, after one year buying serious ( :drunksing: ) reps, I start to rework on, and I think I am on a good way to show something approaching the real things at 75% or more, but not less.

Now, I work with a mini late, starting gently to modify rehauts, cristal base shoulder/plate, re-cutting bezel rail on cases and bezel rings. This to adapt Rlx gen/swiss aftermarket parts.

I recently modded 3 gmt. the first one, my "chocolate" dial, called also "Rot beer" or "Tiger Eye" dial by hard collectors. the 2 other was regular "vintage" from Josh.

Here, pics and techs. details. Pics are poor quality, not very professional, sorry.

1) the TT 16713 Chocolate:

If you are interested by this watch, dealers (Josh is #1 for this) sells 2 kinds. The most accurate is the one with the lug holes case.

The case has the same specs like the famous "Retro" GMT, probably the same. The other one is to avoid. Complete vrong. So, when you order, insist to get the "lug holes case" model.

The modifications on this watch are hard core mods. The cristal was poped of and changed for a plexi #116, a Rolex genuine specs. I also replaced the clasp by a "home made" with soft soldering gold leaf and little silver crown.

The bezel was hand reamed to accept a gen insert. Impossible to risk to ruin the gold plating in a lathe.

Everything is matching the bracelet gold platted links.

You have to pay attention, all these TT GMT's are coming with TT Sub bracelets. Vrong. So, the first mod is to polish the external link sides as they are brushed and replace the clasp. Also the bezel was manually reamed to accept the gen 4mm wide gold/brown insert

Read a more complete post from here :

My name is Tictac on RWI

http://www.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewt...f=5&t=45906

choco1.jpg

choco4.jpg

2) Peruvian, Italian and Emirates Air Force Rolex 1675 GMT Master Special Edition:

This is a rare version is the gen world. The blue bezel insert is hard to find. Here its a gen specs after market. The watch looks like the real thing. I replaced the oyster bracelet for a resistant shark skin strap as I swimm and practice snorkling with this watch.

A precision: all my gmt's are proofed for 100m like genuines

gmt01.jpg

gmt02.jpg

gmt06x.jpg

3)And the classic 1675

Pepsi bezel, same re-built with genuine specs aftermarket Swiss parts: a high plexi and a large bezel and insert

gmt05.jpg

gmt04.jpg

So these 2 watches have a modded case recut to accept gen bezel and insert. The only thing who sucks for me is the dial. Not enough sharp printed. Step by step I will update these watches. I have a source to get gen GMT Master dials, but is 260.00 us$ for one...

Now, look this pic, this is gen watches. A comparison between the 1675 GMT and the 16750.

This image comes from a French Rlx collectors forum

Left, the 1675/16713 with a high plexi cristal and the large 4mm insert. Right, the modern 16750 with the sapphire and the narrow (3.75mm) insert., so you can compare the difference. Normally the Retro model from Josh should have a plexi high cristal instead of the sapphire. Its difficult to clear this, as Rolex produced so much variation of this watch...

comparison.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this first little review to honor the rebuilt RWG ! :lol:

now, time to go to the bar,

:Drinking2::beerjump::Drinking2:

Edited by RolexAddict

onzenuub

Cheers mate, nice work. :lol:

oscarmadfish

great stuff well done :lol:

SliceMaster

This guy is GOOD :band::lol: :P :drool:

greg_r

Wow. GREAT post, RA.... Thanks! :lol:

rc42

Interesting post RA, its amazing just how much history and detail there is for each model of each brand if you dig deep enough. It just brings home how little we all actually know about watches compared to how much there is to learn.

Looking forward to your next review :)

AllergyDoc

Your homemade clasp looks fabulous and I love that blue shark strap!

(Wasn't your steel bracelet also water resistant? :))

Now, send both watches to my immediately! Post haste.

KBH

Great one RA. Post of the Month....