Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

RWG1: Straps - post up pics and links

houndoggie
just bought a strap from a member at RG - TWICE I missed this strap by minutes, literally, in TWO sale threads - latest buyer says he didn't realize it was too big for his wrist until after it was on the way...

Redsoxman sold it - I JUST missed it - to CPD C63. Then CPD needed funds urgently, sold a few straps, I saw the listing an hour after it went up, was the first to post, but seems it was already spoken for! Arrrggghhhhh!

So then I just get a pm - seems the buyer, Dante98, didn't look at the strap size when he bought it. He hasn't received it yet, but discovered after it was already on the way that it is too big (6" wrist). So he happened to be talking to RSM (original seller) who said I was interested in it. He pm'd me and I just pp'd funds, IT'S MINE BABY ALL MINE. GOING ON THE STERILE STEALH DIAL MINI FIDDY WITH PVD MOVEMENT:

DSC_0025-3.jpg

DSC_0107-4.jpg

Nice pick up... RSM has some good stuff. He is who I got the 225 from.

greg_r

Gorgeous strap. Congrats, John!

JohnG

He was asking what he paid which is what CPD paid which is what RSM was asking - $54 shipped w/o buckle - add in about $20 for a pre-V buckle.... This is about $15 off of GS's price, PLUS I don't have to wait 2+ months for this one!

chriszammett
IMG_1293.jpg

0c7208aa.jpg

e6ee3d04.jpg

2 straps custom made to order from my favorite lesser known strap maker, Paolo18.

http://picasaweb.google.com/paolo18straps?feat=email

The Nolan Ryan strap was from a glove I purchased on ebay for less than $20

The blue one is called stonewashed leather, it looks like denim but is super soft leather.

The quality of these straps is far superior to anything else I have seen being made by a hobbyist.

That blue one is a really nice strap. I'm addicted to straps at the moment. Got two on the way to me at the moment and itching for more! Need some more watches for them to go on though. Feel the need for a blue strap, narrowly missed out on a heroic 18 one on paneristi the other day. Seriously contemplating trying to make one... how hard can it be?!

JohnG

Not that hard, but not that easy either. Read the tutorials (at other forums, none here yet I think), perhaps buy a book on leather working. For less than what a strap costs, you can get the tools.... give it a try, I am going to!

chriszammett

yeah, I've been having a look around for tips, on ebay for some leather items I can cut up as well. Any suggestions?

for the price of glue and leather could begin with a stitchless version!

JohnG
yeah, I've been having a look around for tips, on ebay for some leather items I can cut up as well. Any suggestions?

for the price of glue and leather could begin with a stitchless version!

belts, old leather bags, etc... some people find a lot of cool belts at thrift / second hand shops... yard sales might be a good source of old leather too....

If you want new leather, I heard you can buy bags of scraps on eBay but haven't checked myself....

Here in Spain I am sure there must be leather factories that sell scraps - will have to check that out....

chriszammett

pretty cheap - although a bit more than is needed to begin with!!

JohnG

Straps on ebay - interesting looking, gotta check feedback - $84 shipped w/ pre-V style buckle.... hmmmm.... who will be the guinea pig?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOR-PANERAI-Pre-V-styl...0#ht_4317wt_893

tzvint_dkbrn_ital_wht.JPG

tzvint_dkbrn_weather_brn.JPG

tzvint_lightbrn_ital_brn.JPG

houndoggie

Not me. $84 is too much for an unknown, although TWB makes a decent strap.

JohnG
Not me. $84 is too much for an unknown, although TWB makes a decent strap.

That's why we need a guinea pig - how about some stupid noob - we convince him it is a good deal - then make him post LOTS of macro pics of the strap.....

JohnG

$8 opening bid, $9.99 BIN, free shipping, SS Pre-V screw Pre-V buckles.... Ordered two, will post pics later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/24mm-316L-Steel-Brushe...30#ht_936wt_736

starp-24mm.jpg

chriszammett

this is the strap I have on the way for my PVD Pam 111h

3749862942_d23a34e0fa_o.jpg

greg_r

Very nice, Chris.

I still have to decide what's going to go on my new Fiddy (and the 183 for that matter). Decisions, decisions...

JohnG
this is the strap I have on the way for my PVD Pam 111h

3749862942_d23a34e0fa_o.jpg

HOT, I like this one too.... didn't know this strap dealer:

3325530981_efd9f3f287_o.jpg

chriszammett

he's been great. Long lead time although he was exceptionally busy. He has a good rep on RWG.cc

JohnG

So what are this guy's prices like?

chriszammett

about the norm for a custom strap - I paid $142

JohnG

That's what I love about Gorilla Straps - he averages about $70+ buckle ($20) but the problem is that at that price (and he does nice work too) he always has at least a two month backlog...

greg_r

Straps are a helluva price - I certainly appreciate the amount of work that goes into them, but personally I can't justify paying more than about $100 - and even then only if the watch is exceptional. Maybe I'm just cheap... lol

JohnG
Straps are a helluva price - I certainly appreciate the amount of work that goes into them, but personally I can't justify paying more than about $100 - and even then only if the watch is exceptional. Maybe I'm just cheap... lol

That's why I am going to create a strap making thread right about..... NOW!

chriszammett

To be honest, I have since bought a similar strap for around $75 but at the time this was the only dealer I could find which did this exact strap. I bought my last heroic 18 strap off paneristi.

JohnG
To be honest, I have since bought a similar strap for around $75 but at the time this was the only dealer I could find which did this exact strap. I bought my last heroic 18 strap off paneristi.

Heroic has a deal right now if you place an order with a value of greater than $100, you get a free strap - I have been going back and forth over whether to do it....

Just popped off an email to see if it is still available....