Corv99

Real differences between watch for $88 and $220

Corv99

is it the

movement

and maybe quality of leather on the strap

Fact that subdials work

or is there more than this? accuracy of rep, materials of the case etc

for me, its the look, size, weight and it tells the time that are the important factors, so would I be wasting money getting more expensive options of the same watch? or to put it another way more money to spend on more reps

I have just got 3 cheapies which are OK , Tag Monaco is the best, and Omega I'm giving as a birthday present and a jacob, which again is OK.

I'm wondering if I paid for example $120 for the tag instead of $68 how much improved it woud be, or is it just the watch movement that would differ

if that makes sense? it htis is the case I'm quite happy with the $68 as it tells time fine!!

just curious really, difficult to pick up on this looking at images on the internet, I'm sure many of you have both in your collection

tyrantblade
is it the

movement

and maybe quality of leather on the strap

Fact that subdials work

or is there more than this? accuracy of rep, materials of the case etc

for me, its the look, size, weight and it tells the time that are the important factors, so would I be wasting money getting more expensive options of the same watch? or to put it another way more money to spend on more reps

I have just got 3 cheapies which are OK , Tag Monaco is the best, and Omega I'm giving as a birthday present and a jacob, which again is OK.

I'm wondering if I paid for example $120 for the tag instead of $68 how much improved it woud be, or is it just the watch movement that would differ

if that makes sense? it htis is the case I'm quite happy with the $68 as it tells time fine!!

just curious really, difficult to pick up on this looking at images on the internet, I'm sure many of you have both in your collection

Usually the difference in price is due to the movement, and attention to detail, most cheap reps out there aren't going to be as accurate to the gen as the more expensive ones

Corv99

I don't mind setting the time each day really, but more to do with the quality of materials, and if the more expensive ones are better

jdoe

$132 ?

Corv99
$132 ?

do you mean half way house?

mianos

Those plus the finish of the case. In my limited experience with reps and a lot more in genuine watches, the really cheap cases are dip plated or brush finished on large wheels whole with no further finishing. In addition the genuine watch manufacturers usually spend a lot more time on quality control. On the other hand, as the replica manufacturers produce more pieces of a higher standard the real difference is closing and the cost of the better replicas will probably go up due to demand for higher quality.

Silverspeed

It all depends on the rep in question....sometimes the case, dial, bracelet/band are identical

Often the ETA/clone or 7750 versions are a better made rep in general, especially if it's a chrono

since the 21j versions will have faux chrono's

Luthier

All cases/bracelets are made from the same 316 steel, usually L, sometimes F, and no any plating on it, just a polish. Last time I've seen plated case, it was 15 years ago.

There's factories, that make hi-class replicas, they are much closer to gens, and with ETA or ETA clones movements, rarely with 2813. And there's mid-level factories, that make quite good reps, but not too close to gens, and they use 21j movements only. You can buy their products on Watch Market, and sometimes from our TDs. And there's low level factories, that make Ufanta stuff, mostly fantasy crap. Low quality, zero QC, but from 10 meters looks like a watch.

:P

Corv99

thanks Luthier :P

mianos

So the way the too shiny metal seems to flake off on the corners on all those cheap-ass rolex clones I see all the time is not some sort of plating?

greg_r
So the way the too shiny metal seems to flake off on the corners on all those cheap-ass rolex clones I see all the time is not some sort of plating?

A lot of the really cheap street junk is just plated pot metal, yes.

bubbaa

I gave my friend a Rollie a few years back, plating started to come off and is turning into a cooking pot. Ask him why he still wears it, "it keeps time" he said. :D