Sign in to follow this  
Crimsongost

Whitch lume is whitch and where to buy

Crimsongost

Hello all, i would like to relume a watch. I have been doing some research and i think i have it narrowed down to a couple of possibilities.

First is epoxy+lume or Waterbase +lume I think i want to use a waterbase because the dial dots and hands i am working on are very thin and i do not want to add any height to the dots.

2nd which lume to use and where to get it from I think i have seen several people using W@tchlume but if anyone out there has a better product i am all ears.

Lastly i have used the internal search engine and have found several links where people have relumed a "sandwich" style face however i have not seen any where any one has described how to relume a face like on a DSSD.

Thanks for all the help

Mitchell

vexorg

check out kinney's section i think he does go into great detail now to lume a DSSD.

I'm thinking of luming a few of mine but need a little practice of tearing down a movement first.

greg_r

Talk to trailboss99 about lump supplies - the RWGshop stocks a range.

WebWind
Hello all, i would like to relume a watch. I have been doing some research and i think i have it narrowed down to a couple of possibilities.

First is epoxy+lume or Waterbase +lume I think i want to use a waterbase because the dial dots and hands i am working on are very thin and i do not want to add any height to the dots.

2nd which lume to use and where to get it from I think i have seen several people using W@tchlume but if anyone out there has a better product i am all ears.

Lastly i have used the internal search engine and have found several links where people have relumed a "sandwich" style face however i have not seen any where any one has described how to relume a face like on a DSSD.

Thanks for all the help

Mitchell

Kenny has several threads about DSSD luming and Ska also.

Ska

You don't want to be using epoxy OR water.

You need to use nitrocellulose binder. Most lume suppliers will also provide this. W@tchlume's starter kit is great for beginners as it comes with everything you'll need to mix, test and apply your Lume

If you're thinking about doing a DSSD then you will need to order w@tchlume's new brightest blue. (not the deep blue)

Your method should be as follows.

1.remove the movement and separate dial/hands. Store the hands on cocktail sticks. Store the movement on a holder/vice under a dust cover.

2. Flip the dial over and place on something soft which will not mark it. A Microfibre lint-free cloth for example.

3. Use a pin to push out the removable hour markers.

4. Remove the markers with tweezers and place in a sealed jar with some acetone (nail varnish remover) for 2-3 hours.

5. Meanwhile, take your hands and place face-up on a flat disc of rodico.

6. Using a scalpel or xacto blade carefully press out the lume from the hands by slowly moving around the inner edge with the blade applying very light pressure. Then flip the hands Over and using the edge of the blade scrape any remaining lume off. Place the hands on a dry polishing cloth and buff up the top face. Store hands, face up, back on cocktail sticks.

7. Use a 1.2mm drill bit to bore out the Lume from the pearl. Use an xacto or similar to clean it up completely.

8. Mix a small bead (about 6mm dia) of clear jewellers epoxy and then add 1:1 with Lume powder. Use a cocktail stick to drop this mixture back into the pearl holder. Add the mixture slowly until you have a suitable dome shape. Set aside to dry for 3-5 hours.

9. Once the Lume has dissolved or detached from the markers, use tweezers to remove them from the acetone and dry thoroughly by placing on lint-free watch tissue before transferring to your disc of rodico.

10. In your mixing palette combine 1 part lume powder to 1.5 parts binder/lacquer (or 1 part binder and 0.5 parts thinner if your kit contains thinner) mix thoroughly with a glass mixing wand.

11. Use a medium Sized oiler (usually red) to apply the Lume mixture to the markers. Do this in 2-3 thin layers, rather than trying to fill up the markers in 1 go. Allow 1 hour drying time in between each layer. you will have to make a new batch of lume for each layer.

12. After the final layer has been applied your mixture will have thickened slightly, use a large (green) oiler or a cocktail stick and pick up a large bead of Lume (about 1.5mm dia)

13. With the first hand still on the cocktail stick run the Lume under the hand dragging it from one end of the lume recess to the other in one smooth motion. Surface tension will cause the lume to self-level once you have applied it.

14. Repeat for the hour and seconds hands being careful not to get lume on the top face.

15. Leave everything to dry for 5-6 hours minimum.

16. Reassemble the dial by inserting each Market back into their holes and securing from behind using GS hypo cement.

17. Once dry attach the dial to the movement and set the hands making sure the date changes at 12:00.

18. Make sure the case and crystal are clean and lint-free before reassembling.

mspangl

You need to use nitrocellulose binder. Most lume suppliers will also provide this. W@tchlume's starter kit is great for beginners as it comes with everything you'll need to mix, test and apply your Lume

If you're thinking about doing a DSSD then you will need to order w@tchlume's new brightest blue. (not the deep blue)

1.remove the movement and separate dial/hands. Store the hands on cocktail sticks. Store the movement on a holder/vice under a dust cover.

2. Flip the dial over and place on something soft which will not mark it. A Microfibre lint-free cloth for example.

4. Remove the markers with tweezers and place in a sealed jar with some acetone (nail varnish remover) for 2-3 hours.

6. Using a scalpel or xacto blade carefully press out the lume from the hands by slowly moving around the inner edge with the blade applying very light pressure. Then flip the hands Over and using the edge of the blade scrape any remaining lume off. Place the hands on a dry polishing cloth and buff up the top face. Store hands, face up, back on cocktail sticks.

7. Use a 1.2mm drill bit to bore out the Lume from the pearl. Use an xacto or similar to clean it up completely.

8. Mix a small bead (about 6mm dia) of clear jewellers epoxy and then add 1:1 with Lume powder. Use a cocktail stick to drop this mixture back into the pearl holder. Add the mixture slowly until you have a suitable dome shape. Set aside to dry for 3-5 hours.

9. Once the Lume has dissolved or detached from the markers, use tweezers to remove them from the acetone and dry thoroughly by placing on lint-free watch tissue before transferring to your disc of rodico.

10. In your mixing palette combine 1 part lume powder to 1.5 parts binder/lacquer (or 1 part binder and 0.5 parts thinner if your kit contains thinner) mix thoroughly with a glass mixing wand.

11. Use a medium Sized oiler (usually red) to apply the Lume mixture to the markers. Do this in 2-3 thin layers, rather than trying to fill up the markers in 1 go. Allow 1 hour drying time in between each layer. you will have to make a new batch of lume for each layer.

12. After the final layer has been applied your mixture will have thickened slightly, use a large (green) oiler or a cocktail stick and pick up a large bead of Lume (about 1.5mm dia)

13. With the first hand still on the cocktail stick run the Lume under the hand dragging it from one end of the lume recess to the other in one smooth motion. Surface tension will cause the lume to self-level once you have applied it.

14. Repeat for the hour and seconds hands being careful not to get lume on the top face.

16. Reassemble the dial by inserting each Market back into their holes and securing from behind using GS hypo cement.

17. Once dry attach the dial to the movement and set the hands making sure the date changes at 12:00.

Great write-up Chris !

WebWind

Sticky for sure!

Crimsongost

Thanks so much! Was actually going to do this to another watch but with directions like this i might actually try my dssd if i do not mess the first one up.....

Thanks again for all the help !

Mitchell