Sign in to follow this  
JVK

I can't believe my bad luck...

JVK

So, yesterday I received a "1:1" PP Nautilus from Mary, in RG. I didn't have the chance to actually try it on or mount the OEM strap until today, so I took it to work. ;)

Later on, a coworker tripped on a wire and fell to the ground. As the clumsy guy he is, he somehow managed to hit the table on his way, which made my Nautilus fell to the ground. Now, I wasn't around when this happened, but according to my Father, the watch ended up under the table, so when somebody tried to put things back in order, they scratched the shit out of the watch. :D

Needless to say, the plating's gone in various areas, leaving the PP with some sort of zebra patern.

The culprit's just put 500 USD on my table, so I guess it's time to mail Mary and but the same watch... again. :facepalm:

All this happened while I was getting my brand new set of Bergeon screwdrivers to swap straps.

Funny eh?

NFleischer

That's more than the watch cost, no? Nice guy- and maybe you can polish out

the scratches too.

crewldude

Now that really sucks...but at least you're able to laugh about it. I'd probably be more than a little pissed... :D

therockerz

500 bucks :D haha i am SURE thats more than the price of the watch ;) maybe he thought it was gen, in which case WTF was he thinking..

JVK

Yeh, the watch costed 438 USD shipped.

Polishing out the scratches might be possible, but the bezel has some horrible dents, and the crystal is scratched as well. Ironic... I bet I could've smashed the watch against the floor on purpose and it wouldn't have sustained such damage.

I feel sorry for the guy -- he's new, therefore he's extremely nervous and anxious.

Akira

$500?

Did he tell you to keep the change? :D

Luthier

Where's bad luck? You still have a watch, polish off the gold, or replate the case, and you got 500 bucks from the moron. More than the watch cost.

I'd say - it's your lucky day, mate!!!

:D

But I can imagine your mental condition, when you got the news... I wouldn't want to be you at that moment...

;)

onionbag

Sounds like it's been stood on....bummer. :D

Akira
Almost twice of the watch cost.

Doesn't the Nautilus cost about $380-400?

houndoggie

Hmmm, tripped on a wire huh? So you just have loose wires hanging out for people to trip on? Was there proper signage warning of the wire? Was the new employee warned that a wire exists in that area as a potential hazard?

nunu78
Where's bad luck? You still have a watch, polish off the gold, or replate the case, and you got 500 bucks from the moron. More than the watch cost.

:)

But I can imagine your mental condition, when you got the news... I wouldn't want to be you at that moment...

+1

Member X

How the hell do you do that much damage to something? He must be a special kind of clumsy, either that or he was trying it on serruptitiously, it slipped, and he managed to kick it across the floor while trying to stop it hitting the floor...

Either way, you gotta thank him for making good!

Del

Sounds like the guy has a claim against the work for the dangerous wire that caused him to trip up!

If that happened in my work there would be forms to fill in and interviews galore.....:)

We are Health and Safety crazy!

wolfwood

Just add a bit of touch up here and there and you've got yourself a "vintagized" PP!

JVK
Hmmm, tripped on a wire huh? So you just have loose wires hanging out for people to trip on? Was there proper signage warning of the wire? Was the new employee warned that a wire exists in that area as a potential hazard?

:) We're redecorating the offices. Today we moved the furniture around, leaving some wires exposed. Every single employee was forewarned a million times. But this guy's got a knack for doing silly things. Really smart lawyer, just REALLY absent-minded at times.

+1

True, I could get around to doing that. Besides, the movement's still ticking, so I got a spare SW200-1 with the new PP rotor :)

Yeh, I got pissed off when I got back... but they I saw the guy's face. He was really ashamed of himself.

After everything calmed down, we overheard my Dad yelling from his office... "Thank God it wasn't a gen, otherwise I'd have shoved the new coathanger up his ass!" :D

JVK
How the hell do you do that much damage to something? He must be a special kind of clumsy, either that or he was trying it on serruptitiously, it slipped, and he managed to kick it across the floor while trying to stop it hitting the floor...

Either way, you gotta thank him for making good!

He left his keys inside his car twice this week. 'Nuff said.

My Dad and his associates have considered firing him but he's such a talented guy that his clumsiness has been temporally overlooked.

Maybe we should tie him up or nail his feet to the floor every time he comes to the office. :)

houndoggie

It's just a thing. Things can be replaced and he made it right. No harm, no foul.

JVK

True HD. A true class act.

pollux1

Why not give him the rep? As a gesture perhaps? You could direct him here and someone could help him fix it.

dingle

Sell on RG as vintage. Set wire. Repeat as desired.

Member X

He sounds like one of these guys that is wired for uber-intelligence but little common sense - they are quite common! lol

JVK
Sell on RG as vintage. Set wire. Repeat as desired.

Okay, I'll need some help with the item's description...

"Patek Philippe Nautilus in rose gold, circa 1948! VINTAGE PIECE...! So Vintage that it was made before the original! Small scratches on bezel (I wore it to a Rugby game) Asking price, 4800 USD. Sauce not included."

AllergyDoc

HD called OSHA on you. Black choppers descending as I type.

JVK

I hope the choppers have enough fuel to make it all the way down here.

Ollifl

Why would you leave a watch laying on a table at, as far as I'm concerned, a construction site? That's just asking for trouble.

Like somebody said, be a gentleman and give the kid the watch since he paid a full+ price for it, and he might actually ask you to order him another one.