Sign in to follow this  
Dspolaris

Hey guys - advice needed

Dspolaris

Hello everyone,

new on the forum, lurking for a while before I decided to post here. I have learned a LOT from this place, I came in knowing absolutely nothing about replicas, or watches in general for that matter. I must say, I have been converted...and am now in love with watches.

In order to get my feet wet before going for a gen, I've done quite a lot of research and found the watch for me. I would appreciate any advice or help on this... Since I have extremely small wrists for a guy, looks like midsize is the only route for me. I have fallen in love with the clean looks and size of the Omega Railmaster (the 38mm one, not the XXL version). I know that a rep is never the real thing, but until I save up for a gen, I've decided a rep will be a great way to fill the void. I have a few questions on that:

1. Does anyone know offhand which dealer makes the best quality, and most "true to gen" one?

2. When a dealer (from the trusted list) mentions "Swiss ETA-2824-2 movement", is the movement actually swiss made, or a clone of the ETA-2824?

3. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a 38mm watch, specifically a really well made rep :) other Omega Aqua Terra series look nice, but I'm having a hard time finding a rep in 38mm

Thank you very much in advance!

Distinct
1. Does anyone know offhand which dealer makes the best quality, and most "true to gen" one?

2. When a dealer (from the trusted list) mentions "Swiss ETA-2824-2 movement", is the movement actually swiss made, or a clone of the ETA-2824?

3. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a 38mm watch, specifically a really well made rep :) other Omega Aqua Terra series look nice, but I'm having a hard time finding a rep in 38mm

1. This varies depending on which model watch you want.

2. The movement should be Swiss made and if it is a clone of that movement, it will say Asian or clone. Not always clearly stated but most often it is with the Trusted Dealers here. Also know that there are examples of Swiss made but the movement is refurbished and/or not brand new.

3. 38 mm is pretty damn small. Are you a Woman? Not being insulting, but asking for real.

SeanusMaximus

How about the Rolex Explorer 1? 39mm I think....I happen to love the smaller railmaster too :)

Sean

pollux1

The smaller railmaster is known to be a "super rep" and well worth getting, you won't be disappointed and quite possibly because it's an older model it may well contain a gen ETA, although I wouldn't necessarily worry about it as long as it ticks the same: IE it beats the same as gen, 28800 beats per hour which equate to 8 beats per second and makes for a smoother sweep of the second hand compared to a 21 jewel movement.

If it were me I'd shoot Robert (PWC) or Mary (watchinternational) a PM to see if they can get one for you. :)

Dspolaris

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll check out the rolex

1. This varies depending on which model watch you want.

2. The movement should be Swiss made and if it is a clone of that movement, it will say Asian or clone. Not always clearly stated but most often it is with the Trusted Dealers here. Also know that there are examples of Swiss made but the movement is refurbished and/or not brand new.

3. 38 mm is pretty damn small. Are you a Woman? Not being insulting, but asking for real.

1 - Specifically for the Omega Railmaster (the 38mm or 39mm, not the XXL)

2 - Thanks!

3 - Yeah I know 38mm is pretty small, but seriously - i have really tiny wrists, anything larger than 40mm and I might as well go around town with a clock taped to my wrist, flavor flave style

Dspolaris
The smaller railmaster is known to be a "super rep" and well worth getting, you won't be disappointed and quite possibly because it's an older model it may well contain a gen ETA, although I wouldn't necessarily worry about it as long as it ticks the same: IE it beats the same as gen, 28800 beats per hour which equate to 8 beats per second and makes for a smoother sweep of the second hand compared to a 21 jewel movement.

If it were me I'd shoot Robert (PWC) or Mary (watchinternational) a PM to see if they can get one for you. :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I noticed one for sale on Silix's site... Any thoughts on this one? I'll try PMing the other dealers like you said too

therockerz

If it were me I'd shoot Robert (PWC) or Mary (watchinternational) a PM to see if they can get one for you. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion! I noticed one for sale on Silix's site... Any thoughts on this one? I'll try PMing the other dealers like you said too

The caseback is seamaster aqua terra..

Nisv

Hi Dspolaris, welcome :lol:

Good luck in your quest :brightlight:

greg_r
Hello everyone,

new on the forum, lurking for a while before I decided to post here. I have learned a LOT from this place, I came in knowing absolutely nothing about replicas, or watches in general for that matter. I must say, I have been converted...and am now in love with watches.

In order to get my feet wet before going for a gen, I've done quite a lot of research and found the watch for me. I would appreciate any advice or help on this... Since I have extremely small wrists for a guy, looks like midsize is the only route for me. I have fallen in love with the clean looks and size of the Omega Railmaster (the 38mm one, not the XXL version). I know that a rep is never the real thing, but until I save up for a gen, I've decided a rep will be a great way to fill the void. I have a few questions on that:

3. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a 38mm watch, specifically a really well made rep :banhamster: other Omega Aqua Terra series look nice, but I'm having a hard time finding a rep in 38mm

Please bear in mind that the dealers are "Dealers". They do not make watches. All the dealers purchase from the various factories that make these things, so you will often see the same watch listed by several dealers.

Where it gets tricky is that there is often more than one rep available of some of the more popular models, so you're doing the right thing by asking advice as to which is the best available.

It's kinda difficult to tell between the gen ETA movement and the clone, so with most dealers I would assume that it's going to come with the clone (which is a perfectly good movement) and not pay extra for 'Swiss', which may be clone or possibly used or refurbished. Currently the only two dealers I would rely upon to supply a gen Swiss movement would be PrestigeWatchCo (Robert) and WatchInternational (Mary). Stick with the clone and save some money - it accepts gen parts and generally works well.

Dspolaris

Thank you...That was some really good advice.

So far, the "best" rep of the smaller version railmaster I have found is still with Silix...still looking though.

However, the more I look around and come across gen pictures of the Aqua Terra Mid Size Chrono (link) the more i fall in love. GORGEOUS! I think nobody reps it in midsize though, can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there a "go-to" Omega guy on the forum? Either someone who owns a bunch of omegas or a dealer who specializes in high quality omega reps?

The 38mm TAG carrerra automatic is also really nice :)

czmilosz

Here's the Aqua Terra Mid Size Chrono (white face), I bought from Mary a couple of months ago.

I love it.

img_20110708_103925.jpg

QC picture Mary sent before shipping:

img_4145.jpg

Dspolaris

That is a beautiful rep!