Sign in to follow this  
seoulbrova

Asian Clone or SWISS ETA

seoulbrova

When buying a rep, I've read threads where the SWISS movement is dirty, old, and/or a franken that isn't quite authentic.

When choosing the Asian clone...am I to assume that they are "new" movements, and as such will not need to be serviced for a while?

Or are these movements also 'recycled' and perhaps in need of a clean and oiling?

Thanks

nunu78
When buying a rep, I've read threads where the SWISS movement is dirty, old, and/or a franken that isn't quite authentic.

When choosing the Asian clone...am I to assume that they are "new" movements, and as such will not need to be serviced for a while?

Or are these movements also 'recycled' and perhaps in need of a clean and oiling?

Thanks

Asian clone of ETA is the good choice n offer extremely good value to your money,simple clone movements usually don't need service but if they come with GMT or anything else then it makes sense otherwise used them till they need TLC.

greg_r

The thing you have to bear in mind is that QC isn't the rep industry's strongest point :lol:

However, the asian clone movement is good quality and readily serviceable with parts from the gen, so they're a good long-term bet. If you want to go for Swiss, there are currently only a few dealers that I would feel comfortable buying from - notably PrestigeWatchCo, WatchInternational and BK - as with those guys you can be confident of getting what you paid for - i.e. a new Swiss movement in good order.

seoulbrova
The thing you have to bear in mind is that QC isn't the rep industry's strongest point ;)

However, the asian clone movement is good quality and readily serviceable with parts from the gen, so they're a good long-term bet. If you want to go for Swiss, there are currently only a few dealers that I would feel comfortable buying from - notably PrestigeWatchCo, WatchInternational and BK - as with those guys you can be confident of getting what you paid for - i.e. a new Swiss movement in good order.

That's why I asked the question. I purchased a watch from Robert but paid for the servicing on a clone movement. I'm wondering if it needed servicing if they are brand new. I assumed it may have been am older movement or possibly worse which is why I preferred to have the peace of mind

therockerz

Robert once told on SB that it was the 7750 that needed all the help they could get.. and that it would be "okay" to have the asian clone without servicing.