Sign in to follow this  
tekilla

Tag weirdness

tekilla

Evening,

Strange one here...

My first 2 reps arrived this week from Mary (pics to follow shortly), yet the Aquaracer seems to keep stopping after as little as 3hrs.

To start it again, I pull the crown out then push it back in.

Any idea what this might be about?

Thanks,

James

pollux1

Shoot one of the modders a Pm mate, or hopefully someone will come along and give advice. :seclark:

dingle

what type of movement?

tsomers
Evening,

Strange one here...

My first 2 reps arrived this week from Mary (pics to follow shortly), yet the Aquaracer seems to keep stopping after as little as 3hrs.

To start it again, I pull the crown out then push it back in.

Any idea what this might be about?

Thanks,

James

Is it an automatic? Have you been wearing it? If its an auto and you haven't been wearing it, you will need to shake it up to wind it. You can wind it with the crown, but I think its better to shake and wear it.

If it's not an auto and you have been wearing it, message Mary, she will help you.

tekilla

Mary didn't confirm the movement in it but the hand does 'sweep' slightly more than my quartz which has that distinct 'tick' to it.

I guess it's possibly an Auto but just seemed a bit too cheap. I've emailed Mary but she's away until 5th Sept.

Cheers.

dingle
Mary didn't confirm the movement in it but the hand does 'sweep' slightly more than my quartz which has that distinct 'tick' to it.

I guess it's possibly an Auto but just seemed a bit too cheap. I've emailed Mary but she's away until 5th Sept.

Cheers.

If it is an auto, it has not had a chance to wind itself. You will need to put it on and wear it for a day or so. Do not try to wind an auto via the crown. You could damage the workings...

............what did you pay for the watch? The price should tell us something about the movement.

pollux1

If you're new to autos try giving it a GENTLE swirl for a couple of minutes to "charge" the movement, this a builds a power reserve which should last all day and more whilst wearing the watch.

If you imagine the watch movement as an engine the movement of you wearing it winds/charges the movement/engine via a half moon shaped rotor which charges a spring thereby winding and running the watch, this is vastly over simplified but you get the gist. :seclark:

onionbag

I don't really understand the received wisdom with regard to not handwinding auto-watches. Do they not have a sliding coupling (in effect a clutch) to prevent overwinding?

tekilla

I've manually wound it slightly but can't really wear it yet as it needs 4+ links removing. Price wise, I have a feeling it was $115, possibly less.

dingle
I've manually wound it slightly but can't really wear it yet as it needs 4+ links removing. Price wise, I have a feeling it was $115, possibly less.

at $115, you more than likely have a 21J movement. It is an auto. Turn is facedown in your palm and give it a few swirls. Once you have it fitted and wear it, you should not have any issues

:seclark:

tekilla

Thanks to all for the advice. Great forum

Luthier

You have 21j movement, wind it via crown about 50 turns with no any worries.