Sign in to follow this  
tekilla

Paypal Fees when buying a Rep

tekilla

Evening,

So, my first 2 reps arrived this week - love them (thanks for the help with getting my 21j 'ticking' Luthier et al).

Just one to throw out to the board is about Paypal fees. I paid Mary 5% which I guess is the going rate, however, is it widely known that if you send money through Paypal and use the Send Money -> Gift option, there are no fees?

If so, and the TD's were happy, this potentially saves everyone a few quid/shekels/dollars on their purchases. I sell a fair bit of stuff on eBay and whenever anyone emails me and asks me to end an auction early, I'll always insist on the 'Gift' option to save a Paypal/eBay getting richer (or maybe I'm just tight).

Anyway, that's my (almost) drunk rambling for the night.

James.

flottiglia

Not every country has the gift option in Paypal and too many received gift payments will spark paypals interest in money laundering etc.

I have sent money as personal payment owed sometimes and the fees are less for the sender and there are no fees for the recipient.I would suspect that too many of these would again arouse suspicion with PP.

I usually pay by the "other goods" button.

Amit

The gift option enables person sending money to either deduct fess from money they are sending or as is the case send money including covering the fees.

There is a box that says accept fees.

tekilla
The gift option enables person sending money to either deduct fess from money they are sending or as is the case send money including covering the fees.

There is a box that says accept fees.

Correct. If I was buying something for $100 and was asked for 5% fees but used the 'Gift' option, I could actually just send $100 not $105 as the recipient would not get charged a handling fee.

Balad1

Also as a gift you have no recourse in the event you don't get what you ordered.

tekilla
Also as a gift you have no recourse in the event you don't get what you ordered.

You have no recourse anyway. The Paypal guarantee only applies to goods purchased through eBay and paid with Paypal. Trust me, been stung by that one before.

flottiglia

You have no recourse anyway. The Paypal guarantee only applies to goods purchased through eBay and paid with Paypal. Trust me, been stung by that one before.

Thats not true mate,your'e covered for any purchase of actual goods bought from anywhere online.The exemptions are only for custom made goods and electronically transferred purchases such as ebooks.

Otherwise you can start a claim within 45 days of payment made.

Direct quote from Paypal site

When you pay with PayPal on any website, we’re here to help if you have a problem. If an item doesn’t arrive or doesn’t match its description then we’ll help you get all of your money back.

Balad1

Plus if you pay via CC through PP (purchase) you have twice the recourse.

terma-nator

When you pay with PayPal on any website, we’re here to help if you have a problem. If an item doesn’t arrive or doesn’t match its description then we’ll help you get all of your money back.

Paypal is nearly useless with getting money back. I usually start a credit card charge-back when I have a problem with a payment made with Paypal.

They suck when it comes to customer service. They were a little helpful before eBay bought them, but now they completely suck.

flottiglia

Paypal is nearly useless with getting money back. I usually start a credit card charge-back when I have a problem with a payment made with Paypal.

They suck when it comes to customer service. They were a little helpful before eBay bought them, but now they completely suck.

I agree the service is bad but most sellers would tell you that Paypal is weighted very much in favour of the buyer,ask Gordon at Nightwatch and see if he agrees !

Balad,i agree mate pay with CC through PP and you have very few worries as a buyer.

tekilla

Thats not true mate,your'e covered for any purchase of actual goods bought from anywhere online.The exemptions are only for custom made goods and electronically transferred purchases such as ebooks.

Otherwise you can start a claim within 45 days of payment made.

Crazy, I never knew that. I bought some Snowboarding gear from a private seller on a forum once and it arrived not as pictured. After many emails being exchanged, I asked Paypal to intervene and they refused saying it was a private transaction (even though I used the 'Send Money -> Goods/Services option). They basically said unless it was a verified seller for an eBay transaction, my best course would be County (Small Claims) Court

JohnG

Not really true.

Ask Gordon (Nightwatch) about his experience with a gift payment, big bucks too.

In any event, you should ALWAYS use a CC to fund your PP payment, you have an extra layer of protection that way.

prestigewatchco

Can you actually use a CC to fund a gift payment ?

greg_r

Be aware that paypal tend to look more closely at gift payments if there are a lot of them on a particular account. That and the lack of recourse are the reasons why we don't allow gift payments on member sales ads here...

chum_2000_uk

With gift payments it doesn't quite work the way the OP said. I've bought and sold things a fair bit over on the AV forums and head-fi, where it was really popular to ask when paying via Paypal to use the gift option to avoid fees.

However, all too many times, the buyer would not tick the 'accept fees' box and the seller would end up getting slapped with them. This happened to me a number of times, even though I specifically asked the buyer to cover any fees if necessary.

Now obviously, there were times when the gift option was used, when neither the buyer or seller had to pay any fees. IIRC it depends on how the gift is funded (CC, debit card, paypal funds, bank acc.) and potentially how many 'gifts' you've sent or received in the past.

The point is this, if TD's started accepting PP gift as an option they'd a.) start getting stung with fees sometimes, where retards wouldn't select to accept fees when they need to, and b.) as Greg pointed out, paypal would quickly investigate why the seller is receiving so many 'gifts'. The gift option is meant to be just that - a gift or payment of money owed back to a family member or friend - not a way of circumventing fees.

Hope that helps answer the question.

JohnG
Can you actually use a CC to fund a gift payment ?

Actually, not sure, maybe not.

As to Gordon's case, the buyer claimed to PayPal that he had not authorized the payment, that his account had been hacked, and they decided in his favor, fucking Gordon. And it was a gift payment. So there IS recourse for a gift payment, if you are willing to go that far.

tekilla

Chum, understood, but in regards to the Fees, I use the 'Gift' a fair amount (rightly or wrongly) and never get an option for who pays the fees;

Screenshot2011-09-04at101806.png

This is either when funded by Paypal account balance, Debit or Credit card(s). My account is Personal, UK Verified if that makes any difference.

wolfwood

That's strange. Are you paying by credit card or bank transfer? I paid by cc and always get the option AFTER you click the Continue button from your screen shot. Not sure about bank transfers.

On a side note, what are you going to tell the credit card company when you do a chargeback? I purchased a fake rolex and the seller didn't send the watch?

Or I purchased a rolex for $200 but the seller didn't send the watch. Then you have to send them proof etc. What then?

Send them the email or replica forum PM details?

Will you get in trouble? I'm curious to know coz I didn't receive a watch and the seller just said it was sent but had no proof and not willing to refund.

Thanks.

flottiglia
That's strange. Are you paying by credit card or bank transfer? I paid by cc and always get the option AFTER you click the Continue button from your screen shot. Not sure about bank transfers.

On a side note, what are you going to tell the credit card company when you do a chargeback? I purchased a fake rolex and the seller didn't send the watch?

Or I purchased a rolex for $200 but the seller didn't send the watch. Then you have to send them proof etc. What then?

Send them the email or replica forum PM details?

Will you get in trouble? I'm curious to know coz I didn't receive a watch and the seller just said it was sent but had no proof and not willing to refund.

Thanks.

If its within 45 days from the date of payment made and you didn't use the gift option then just start an item not received claim,if you get no joy from the seller upgrade the claim to a dispute..The seller will then get a request from paypal for a tracking number.If he can't provide it Paypal will refund you.To my knowledge they don't request information on what you bought.

If its from a dealer on here then obviously pm a mod first otherwise you can screw up other people orders when the guys PP account gets frozen.

JohnG

If I had a nickel for every time I have seen this question.

If you have to talk to PP, or your CC issuer, how about "I purchased a watch, it never arrived?"

If you feel compelled to say it is a fake, by all means do so, but I never get why people ask this question, the answer is so obvious.

guitarbiker

Not 100% sure but reading latest ammendments to paypal t&c's i think it states you can't do cashback from cc anymore ? plus i've benn knocked on ebay by private seller and paypal said ( unfortunately defrauded but cannot get refund) from seller, cc co. then did cashback to which PP emailed me saying please use proper channels in future, PP TOTAL CRAP wish we had alternatives.

JohnG
Not 100% sure but reading latest ammendments to paypal t&c's i think it states you can't do cashback from cc anymore ? plus i've benn knocked on ebay by private seller and paypal said ( unfortunately defrauded but cannot get refund) from seller, cc co. then did cashback to which PP emailed me saying please use proper channels in future, PP TOTAL CRAP wish we had alternatives.

Whether you can do a chargeback on your CC is not up to PP, it is up to your card provider.

pamelo

Timeshop seems to have the lowest payment charges--no direct charge for Visa payment, but my credit card company charges 3% for the foreign transaction. That's better than the usual 5% I've seen with other dealers.They don't take paypal.

Their postage charges are also on the low side-- $20 for EMS (1-3 items). EMS in my experience is the quickest and best shipping method to the US. Takes about 7 days. The home delivery is by courier--personal.

flottiglia

Whether you can do a chargeback on your CC is not up to PP, it is up to your card provider.

+1 John is as always right :P

tekilla
Their postage charges are also on the low side-- $20 for EMS (1-3 items). EMS in my experience is the quickest and best shipping method to the US. Takes about 7 days. The home delivery is by courier--personal.

Are most TD's pretty fair with their EMS charges? Guessing EMS is the quickest, safest way to get your goods?