Sign in to follow this  
admiralsas

My Navitimer -- The Saddest Photo I Ever Took of It

admiralsas

Brace yourself before looking at this photo of my Navitimer :) Yesterday I was wanting to clean the inside of the crystal. I can't get into the details because it hurts so much, still. But I didn't have a case/crystal press. So I googled a little and came upon a tutorial on how to do it without one but rather with a rubber hammer. Yada yada yada. The instructions were fairly good and helpful but I blame my execution. I still remember the sound it made when the crystal smashed. OH WELL. I'll be looking into a new rep., I guess :rofl:

sadwatch.jpg

SeanusMaximus

Sinner!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

cvp3

Fuggin' ouch.

admiralsas

I can honestly say that I will never do that again and will, in the future, have the right tools to work with

:)

flottiglia

Ouch,if the dial isn't damaged which is a big "if" looking at it then you can get someone fit a plexi or another crystal for you.

If thr dials wrecked then it still has some value for the movement and case etc,i guess its a 7750?

sconehead

...sell it on as vintage perhaps?

...I shouldn't joke, maybe you can get a crystal from one of the dealers, or something suitable from Sternkreuz?

onionbag

Google is your friend?.....Seems not :)

admiralsas
Ouch,if the dial isn't damaged which is a big "if" looking at it then you can get someone fit a plexi or another crystal for you.

If thr dials wrecked then it still has some value for the movement and case etc,i guess its a 7750?

I contacted Andrew on TT and told him my story as tears came down my face LOL. He said he could replace the crystal at $48.oo which I guess is a deal. I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll keep it as a reminder of my epic fail and just focus on getting another navitimer or a pam. Yes you're right. It is a 7750.

SeanusMaximus

I was thinking the same thing! :)

flottiglia

I contacted Andrew on TT and told him my story as tears came down my face LOL. He said he could replace the crystal at $48.oo which I guess is a deal. I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll keep it as a reminder of my epic fail and just focus on getting another navitimer or a pam. Yes you're right. It is a 7750.

Post a pic of the dial with all the bits of glass off it,if the dials all marked up then its probably not worth having another crystal put in unless he wants to quote you for a new dial too...

The way the dials sat down at one side i'd be a bit worried that theres more damage where the mallet impacted and glass fragments might have got into the movement too.It might just be that you dislodged the movement ring though.

Like i say someone would want the bracelet and case and the movements are about £100 in the UK from Cousins. You might turn it into a deposit on another one that way..

gtwc

Sorry to see that pic.................BUT

How in the name of all thats holy are you supposed to use rubber hammer to clean the INSIDE of

the crystal?

I've given this a lot of thought and cannot figure it out.

H'ever, now you can clean both sides and then glue them back together carefully !!!!

Del
:D

honeybear
Sorry to see that pic.................BUT

How in the name of all thats holy are you supposed to use rubber hammer to clean the INSIDE of

the crystal?

I've given this a lot of thought and cannot figure it out.

H'ever, now you can clean both sides and then glue them back together carefully !!!!

Sorry to see this, but I have to agree, I don't quite understand what was supposed to have happened if things had gone according to plan. If it was simply an issue of cleaning the inside of the crystal, who would one need a crystal press? Wouldn't a ball of duct tape have done the trick in removing the case back?

Ollifl

Could you do all of us wondering minds a favor and post a link to those instructions, for some odd reason I neither can't figure how to use a rubber mallet to remove a crystal, especially when the movement is still in place.

Cynikal.Mindset

wait, you did what? why?!?!?

mulder
:wave:

admiralsas
Could you do all of us wondering minds a favor and post a link to those instructions, for some odd reason I neither can't figure how to use a rubber mallet to remove a crystal, especially when the movement is still in place.

That's a cute dragon on your fingers :wave:

Anyway, ya sure. Here you go Breitling Re-fitting

Just to clarify, I wasn't using a rubber hammer to pry it open, it was to re-fit the crystal. And I wasn't banging on it all ape-like. I placed a great deal of rubber and cloth on the crystal itself on top of a rubber matte and used a bottle of Avian mineral spray (empty) with bevelled edges that matched the circumference of the crystal itself. It was light but firm taps.

Edited by admiralsas

Luthier

From that "genius":

Now using a large plastic marker or a thin hard plastic cylinder of some sort which resembles the crystal in diameter if its too thin it will put too much shear stress on the glass and it will crack.

Firmly hold it a-top the crystal and tap on it with a hammer or heavy object, as you do this keep the glass aligned with the opening with your fingers.

after a few hard taps it will be back in and snug.

Why the hell you didn't ask Mike, HOW to do it???

Dendo

We all do silly things.....but this is a contender for the most silly.

I am amazed you got the crystal out in the first place without damaging the watch.

I mean you are meant to remove everything from the case first. Case back, crown, movement etc.

You probably did some damage even before you tried to replace the crystal.

Expensive lesson I guess.

ThinkBachs

I try to make light of things that don't go as planned, so I made this for you to cheer you up...

admiralsas-crystal-pressing-service-1.gif

KeNnY

go quickly pass the picture on gen forum, so gen owners can :wave:

sorry to hear what happened, hope it will get fixed soon :)

Luthier

Letter "A" should be before 2 "S".

greg_r

Next time make sure you use the correct tool for the job.

Pneumatic_drill.jpeg

Seriously, though - commiserations!

ThinkBachs
Letter "A" should be before 2 "S".

Correction made, thanks. :)

Caliper

holy shit! sorry to see this happen, hope you can salvage the watch, if not... dibs on the A7750! :dingleberry-nemesis: