Sign in to follow this  
wat44

Rolex 6 O 2 M 6 G 3

wat44

6263.jpg

Roger Federer beat some Croation guy at the US Open today. That's great and all, but the most exciting thing we saw in the world of Federer today came with the watch we spotted on him. As you know, Roger is a Rolex ambassador, so it's totally expected to see him wearing the crown before and after the match. Usually, the watch he wears is a modern Submariner, GMT, or Daytona, but today he was wearing something special.

Today he was wearing a stainless steel Daytona with a black dial, white registers, and a black bezel. The thing is, Rolex doesn't make a steel Daytona with black bezel (they do, however make a gold Daytona with black bezel). To us, it looks like a Reference 6263 Daytona, an iconic vintage chronograph that was produced from 1971 through 1988. But, it is unusual for an ambassador to wear a model that hasn't been made in 23 years so the question has to be asked, "Did we just catch a glimpse of a future Rolex model?"

Realistically, probably not. If you check out the picture above, the watch on Roger's wrist really does look like a vintage 6263. But, with Rolex releasing the gold Daytona with black bezel this year at Basel, it isn't totally out of the question to see a pre-production model on Roger's wrist. After all, we already know that brands like AP are in the habit of giving prototypes to ambassadors.

So what do you think: is Federer wearing an old 6263 or a prototype modern steel Daytona with Cerachrom bezel?

Luthier

He's wearing a rep.

wat44

its obviously not a rep - but how exciting would it be for that to be a new model?

doesnt look like hes wearing a 36mm watch does it?

Luthier

How do you know, it's not a rep? I can tell you the names of much bigger stars, who wear reps.

prestigewatchco
How do you know, it's not a rep? I can tell you the names of much bigger stars, who wear reps.

Not when they are sponsored by Rolex what risk millions of $ to wear a rep

Come on

Not even members here would do that

Tits McGee

Looks like a super rep. Wonder who his dealer is?

wat44

plus Rolex puts it on his wrist about 30 seconds before he appears on camera

Akira

custom 6263 is my guess....there are many collector's out there changing bezels, inserts and stuff.

Since Rolex makes mostly money with their never issues, I might believe this could be Rogers own?

Maybe they let him choose as long as it's a Rolex :rofl:

wat44

its almost certain rolex put this on him - and put it there for a reason

they pay quite a bit for sponsorship and a few people do watch federer...

Silverspeed

Coulde be some sort of prototype of the new Daytona with ceramic bezel in SS.....?

powderfreak

Rolex giving Prototypes to Federer doesn't sound convincing to me. I'd rather go with custom made or his own vintage.

wat44

do you think it looks to big to be vintage?

I do...

Silverspeed

I do...

Yep...I agree

I'm betting this is one of the new versions with ceramic bezel in SS

powderfreak

I do...

Hm, at second glance... could be true.

bbkk
He's wearing a rep.

Thats what i think too :lol:

LHOOQ

When I first read the article and saw the picture, I thought it was definitely a standard 6263. Now, having watched the interview like the Zapruder film, I'm starting to think it might be a new model.

i-spRfXHp-X3.jpg

Does that look like Valjoux 72 subdial spacing to you?

A customized watch for a brand ambassador seems less likely, but it's a possibility.

Member X

Interesting...

The only thing I wasn't too sure about the Daytonas was the size, so if there's a new, larger version coming out that means a new, larger rep coming out... :thumbsup::D

pollux1

Certainly if Rolex wanted to plug a new watch Federer's arm is the place to do it.

NFleischer

My dealer makes that watch

wat44

genius!

P4GTR

It jumps off of his wrist, very eye catching. Of course, we're programmed to notice a vintage daytona by WIS nature.

The question is whether Rolex is known for putting pre-production models on their ambassadors or not?

tesmith2112

For what it's worth, I met Roger a couple years ago at tournament in Cincinnati. Roger was wearing a GV Milgauss when I met him. I've followed his career since 2003. He and his wife (Mirka) are wearing a different Rolex pretty much every match. He wears his watch to the court, takes it off and puts it in his bag prior to playing, then immediately following the match (when he wins), he gets into his bag, puts the watch back on, then puts on a Nike hat. He makes it a point to touch his face and hair when he being interviewed on court, most likely to show his watch. He also wears his watch prominently in the press conferences. Also, he always practices with his watch on, this does not surprise me because even when he practices, he always has numerous cameras on him as well as larges crowds. Normally he wears a DateJust, Day-Date, Milgauss, and Daytona. I dont think I've ever seen him wear a Sub or GMT. He seems to enjoy the Day-Dates, so does his wife.

LHOOQ
Could be one of these:

2mzb51x.jpg

Possibly, but I really don't think Rolex would let Roger wear something with a Kirk Rich dial and a bezel by Phong! ;)

i-MjXrVQR-X3.jpg

It all makes sense now...

Edited by LHOOQ

Member X
:facepalm: