Sign in to follow this  
exec123

Do you guys know of a great pen for writing thats comfortable and writes smoothly?

exec123

I've kind of been picky about what I write with for a long time, and I always go out and just buy random pens to try them out.. Haven't exactly found one that I loved enough to keep using for an extended period of time..

Do you guys have anything you would recommend?

Thanks!

Edited by exec123

dingle

Graman. Period.

Upgrade to VIP and you will have a chance to win one.

See his section....:D

exec123

I've been looking at 15+ of them.

What makes them so special besides the wooden shaft of the pen? I'm assuming he gets the pen tip and metal clip parts pre-assembled and then just inserts a pen refill.

I like this one

CarbonR1.jpg

Edited by exec123

Luthier

ex... buy the watch first.

:fuelfire:

powderfreak
What makes them so special...

The wood :fuelfire: seriously mate, I have one, too, they are great!

Mazz
What makes them so special besides the wooden shaft of the pen?

That is exactly what makes them so special, each piece of timber is hand selected by him and then spends many hours with him in his shop until it reaches perfection.

Trust me you will not find a better writing balanced pen than his slimline.

jdoe
I like this one

CarbonR1.jpg

Graman's best-selling item. I got one, so have everybody else. Go for it while supplies last!!!! Get a few for your pals too.

:fuelfire:

exec123

Does he get the wood himself? Ive looekd at all of them, none of the wood he uses is rare or anything, especially not in australia...

Obviously, his time and craftsmanship is accounted into the price.. but where does he get the wood?

exec123

Nevermind i found his source while trying to find out how to make my own

Mazz

Trees

exec123

edit: nvm.

Edited by exec123

jdoe
Does he get the wood himself? Ive looekd at all of them, none of the wood he uses is rare or anything, especially not in australia...

Obviously, his time and craftsmanship is accounted into the price.. but where does he get the wood?

Mostly from trees (except the one above)

exec123

I had meant where he sourced the actual piece of wood. Or did he go lumberjack and cut them himself?

Buttt i got it.

jdoe
Nevermind i found his source while trying to find out how to make my own

If you want to try your hand on the craft there's plenty of info out there. Google Pen kits, turning, blanks should get you started.

Myself, I prefer to get someone better than me to do the job. Graman will help you put together one specially for you if you want to: Special order

Edited by jdoe

jdoe
I had meant where he sourced the actual piece of wood. Or did he go lumberjack and cut them himself?

Buttt i got it.

Depends on what specific wood you're looking for. Search "pen blank wood X" might give you some hits. On the other hand I went to SouthAmerica and chopped down a couple of trees for him (but that's not for everyone). No pens yet from those logs.

Edited by jdoe

SevenSevenFifty

A smooth ballpoint would be the fisher space pen (any model). In fact, just go for the ink cartridge ;)

SeanusMaximus

I have yet to try one of G's pens, but having got a waterman fountain something or other for my 21st.. im in love with it!

jdoe

Seems to me the Graman post went AWOL

mspangl

Graman DOT

graman

Hey there mate...I did reply to this, but it's been lost.

This is kinda the gist.

In short, most kits on the market take a cross, parker or schmidt F series ceramic roller.

You might be lucky, if montblanc or lamy make a standard refill in the same size, to swap them around.

These three refills have been chosen very well by the manufacturers, as they're quite bullet proof.

As for fountains, I recommend only using iridium tipped nibs (can't source gold atm...too costly to replace...a nib change can double the cost of the pen).

Steel is rubbish, and not worth the sawdust.

Parkers come in a regular biro ink, or a gel...goes very well.

schmidt are lovely.....

Me? I use an iridium fountain as my beater, in Wenge.

As for timbers, I love timber....that's it.

I source exotics from anywhere I can...some members here have sent me some great stuff (thankyou Jdoe, seclark & Aren)

Others, are from Australian timbers that my Dad and I have harvested from trees in the local area being cut down, which we slab and air dry for a couple of years before we dress and use them.

So...no secrets here.... Kits are bought in from manufacturers and suppliers, along with some different timbers...as many as I can source so that I can feel and enjoy the different properties of the timber.

I don't make a living out of this...it's a hobby..something constructive to do when I've had a shit day at work.

Pricing is about the same as you'd see at a market, and is reflective of the AUD exchange rate, the quality of the mech (you'd be surprised how much they vary in quality) and the amount of time I spend on them.

If something seems a little higher, it's either owing me a lot of time, or is rare.

Excess funds go to furthering the hobby.

The forum and the mods generously allow me to run a shop here, and it allows me to cover the cost of my hobby, and buy some equipment occasionally to push the envelope a bit further.

I don't sell everything I make...I also give some of it away to people I know, or on the forum.

If you want something in the shop, or a combination, just pm me.

If you want to make something yourself, no drama...feel free to discuss if you want to compare notes ;)

If you want a carbon fibre...:P well.....you know where to get the gear from, or if you ask, I'll make you one of the vile things.

Not the statement I put up originally, but ok....most of it ;)

SeanusMaximus

;) your carbon fibre vendetta always makes me chuckle G! :P

Though I myself find it silly - wood all the way just like my architecture ;)

graman

:P Cheers Sean,

It is a bit silly, but I must admit...timber is so much more challenging and rewarding ;)

SeanusMaximus
;) Cheers Sean,

It is a bit silly, but I must admit...timber is so much more challenging and rewarding ;)

Oh I agree mate, i meant CB is silly for daily accessories IMO, :P Its just nice to know that each piece is slightly different in character and patina, it is for that reason i loved restoring the art nouveau chairs with my dad! ;)

Keep up the good work ;)

graman

Ooo!..pics?

Must see pics!

:P

SeanusMaximus
Ooo!..pics?

Must see pics!

:P

Thought you saw them mate? finished end of july, mahogany table from 1906 and chairs from a tad later in walnut, shall dig up the pics, did all the upholstery myself too.... ;)