Sign in to follow this  
tommylad

Problem with new Patek Philippe Nautilus

tommylad

Hi guys,

The photos really let the problem speak for itself. I won it from Robert's auction for $69 and am pleased with the watch apart from the loose dial marker. It also looks like the one at 12 may be very slightly crooked.

Bearing in mind I have never opened up a watch before, how easy would this be to fix? Can anyone give me a step by step of what to do?

If it will be too difficult for a total novice I don't know if I want to send it away to get repaired. Might put it up for sale if there are any takers to save me and Robert hassle.

But fingers crossed it is an easy fix. As usual, apologies for the poor quality photos.

Thanks in advance.

016.jpg

015.jpg

houndoggie

let me a side picture of the watch please.

houndoggie

some PP reps the bezel and crystal is screwed the case at the sides. Simply unscrew the screws and remove the bezel/crystal and reaffix the marker (no glue should be needed)

otherwise you'll have to decase the movement... relatively easy.

SeanusMaximus

Still not seeing the appeal of the nautilus.. hmm..

tommylad

Hope this helps

028.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

Luthier

Easy fix - unscrew caseback, remove the stem, remove mov't with dial, 1/10th of the drop of the glue on the back of the marker, preferrably in the center, and place it back, there should be dots to attach it in the right place. Wait til glue dry, assemble the watch.

SeanusMaximus
Easy fix - unscrew caseback, remove the stem, remove mov't with dial, 1/10th of the drop of the glue on the back of the marker, preferrably in the center, and place it back, there should be dots to attach it in the right place. Wait til glue dry, assemble the watch.

always on hand :rofl:

Luthier

I did it with a few of my old reps, always works well.

tommylad

Thanks Luth.

Couple of questions. What's the best way to remove a caseback? With something sticky like a rubber ball? And the stem connects to the crown right? WIll it be obvious how to remove it once the caseback is off?

Thanks.

Member X

Rubber ball is good! :I'm sure there must be a de-casing guide somewhere on here - have a quick check and if no luck I'll try to type out the method tomorrow :rofl: I'd do it now but I'm ruined and need my bed lol

tommylad
Rubber ball is good! :I'm sure there must be a de-casing guide somewhere on here - have a quick check and if no luck I'll try to type out the method tomorrow :rofl: I'd do it now but I'm ruined and need my bed lol

I'm pretty sure I've seen one so no need to post it. I was just being lazy.

I'll let everybody know how it goes tomorrow - could be amusing for you all.

Member X

Good luck! :)

Just make sure your hands are grease-free, you work over a non-fluffy light-coloured (tea)towel, and you take your time, and all should be fine! :yoda:

houndoggie
Hope this helps

028.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

Looks like u should be able to remove the bezel/crystal assembly on this one.

MikeMcNair

As said above, this is a VERY easy fix bro. If you need any help, let us know and we can walk you through anything.

tommylad

Hi guys,

I've successfully got the caseback off and the dial out. The real problem I'm having is glueing the dial marker into position into the two small holes. I'm using a really fine point to apply the super glue and a pair of tweezers to try and get the marker in position but it's proving very difficult.

Any tips or advice?

Luthier

Yes. Use superglue gel, not liquid one, it will five you about a minute to place marker properly.

And use magnified glass to place it in the right spot.

Also - don't apply gel all over the back of the marker, just a few touches, small ones, in the center, from top to bottom.

Member X

I thought we weren't supposed to use Superglue because the fumes from it setting damage the dials?? :)

Either way, I would leave it out of the case but under a large airtight object (a bowl, maybe?) so it can dry and not get dusty :Whistle: