Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Does powdered alum really work?

KBH

I'm happy to report that it does work fine. It just takes quite a while. This is about 10 days to 2 weeks of soaking.

DSCN3427.jpg

And no Luthier, the white powder is actually alum.

DSCN3428.jpg

DSCN3429.jpg

DSCN3430.jpg

greg_r

Yup - it sure does :)

omni

It does work, but, word of warning. After my jeweler did that to the stem that broke off in the crown of my watch, the crown kept unscrewing loose from the new stem months later and wouldn't stay tightly fitted. He found out that the alum had probably dissolved micron layers of the crown threads so although it appeared tight on the stem, it eventually would work loose. The fix was clear Loctite, seems to be okay now.

KBH
It does work, but, word of warning. After my jeweler did that to the stem that broke off in the crown of my watch, the crown kept unscrewing loose from the new stem months later and wouldn't stay tightly fitted. He found out that the alum had probably dissolved micron layers of the crown threads so although it appeared tight on the stem, it eventually would work loose. The fix was clear Loctite, seems to be okay now.

I thought about that. The possibility of alum still in the hole corroding the new stem. I washed it out real good and dried it. Right now, after putting the new stem in, it's very tight.

RolexAddict

sorry for my ignorance :morebeer:

but if I understand:

you have a broken stem with a bit in the crown. No way to extract the little part in the crown. Exact ?

now you use this alum to "weld" in place the brocken stem. Exact ?

What is exactly this alum powder ? I know alum stone used to stop the blud when you cut your skin when shawing, same product ?

omni
sorry for my ignorance :)

but if I understand:

you have a broken stem with a bit in the crown. No way to extract the little part in the crown. Exact ?

now you use this alum to "weld" in place the brocken stem. Exact ?

What is exactly this alum powder ? I know alum stone used to stop the blud when you cut your skin when shawing, same product ?

J.,

Its not to "weld" in place but to "dissolve" the broken stem. You can soak in vinegar for the same result but it takes twice as long, maybe weeks. Alum is a spice often used in the kitchen when pickling.

The possibility of alum still in the hole corroding the new stem. I washed it out real good and dried it. Right now, after putting the new stem in, it's very tight.
No, the jeweler thinks that although the Alum is not supposed to dissolve any of the crown, it probably did a minute amount of the crown threads.

RolexAddict

Hello omni !

sorry, but I don't understand full:

you say alum disolves the stem -the glue holding the little bit stayed in the crown ?-, so you can extract the little brocken bit from the crown ?

or: it disolve the metal and you can "rebuilt like weld" the stem with his brocken part in the crown ???

again, sorry, I am french and my english is limited to OACI/FAA/JAA-JAR aviation international standard radio communications who is something like 300 words maximum :)

omni

RA:

Alum powder will "fonte" or "dissolvez" all bits & stem pieces, glue, but does not "dissolvez" crown because it is a "type d'alliage en métal".

RolexAddict

so, after that, you can re-screw a new stem in the crown ? because the little brocken part inside the crown is dissolved ?

If I am right (not sure) I would clean very well, check the threats and the spring inside the crown before to Loctite in a new stem

May be I am vrong one more time ...

omni
so, after that, you can re-screw a new stem in the crown ? because the little brocken part inside the crown is dissolved ?

If I am right (not sure) I would clean very well, check the threats and the spring inside the crown before to Loctite in a new stem

May be I am vrong one more time ...

Vous êtes correct!

RolexAddict

Merci omni !!!!

I learn something new, today !!!

Enjoy your stay in Europe,

DON'T EAT TO MUTCH SPAGHETTI,

ALLEGRO VIVACE WITH CHIANTI,

omni

Prego RA!

Chianti for sure will make me a lively drunk! Salve!

graman

:lol:

Great communication!

Overcoming all obstacles!...Broken French & Broken English!

phaedo

I thought it was powdered rhino horn that was supposed to really work.

omni
I thought it was powdered rhino horn that was supposed to really work.

I guess to make a stiff stem...........certainly not to dissolve it.

Drhulee

Great tip, but one question. What effect will it have on titanium crowns or the PVD finish on a crown?

omni
Great tip, but one question. What effect will it have on titanium crowns or the PVD finish on a crown?

If you can't get the stem out any other way, you have nothing to lose since you'd have to toss them in the trash anyway and buy new crowns. Not a metallurgist, don't know the electrolytic effects it would have on pvd coatings or titanium alloy.

Drhulee

If you can't get the stem out any other way, you have nothing to lose since you'd have to toss them in the trash anyway and buy new crowns. Not a metallurgist, don't know the electrolytic effects it would have on pvd coatings or titanium alloy.

Makes sense ;)

Hey, I resemble that tagline.

omni

I talked to my jeweler and he said the dissolve (corrode) time for the stem can greatly be reduced to just days if you low-heat the solution from time to time.