Sign in to follow this  
houndoggie

5 PAMs Back from Speedy...

houndoggie

0050a12a.jpg

here is the teaser pic.... I still have to fine tune some of the watches, especially the CGs that I have not modded yet.

greg_r

how many times did you have to change your underwear while unpacking that lot? :Whistle:

They look great - I can see that I still have some catching up to do (after all, I only have 7 PAMs... :lol:)

houndoggie
how many times did you have to change your underwear while unpacking that lot? :Whistle:

They look great - I can see that I still have some catching up to do (after all, I only have 7 PAMs... :lol:)

Greg, it was like Christmas when you were a kid... except instead of wrapping paper, it was bubble wrap strewn all over the place.

greg_r

I bet. I kinda felt that way when Robert sent my fiddy and 183 in the same package, but FIVE watches all at once...

:lol:

houndoggie

A couple of highlights:

243 with new datewheel (DSN $15) and bezel dots polished (I think I may repolish them because I figured out a good way to do it after I sent this off to Speedy)

And I still need to redo the CG.

c42f4b3d.jpg

127 with AR finally removed and CP pin finally flush and polished:

473bd7a2.jpg

111h with DSN dial and hands, Sapphire crystal w/o AR, T48 crown, LH CG (which I will refinish as well):

5b23221a.jpg

AustinTech

Ummmm, nice 243....

What is this polishing technique and crown guard mod you speak of?

How is the lume on the 243?

houndoggie

AT. The CG mod is the remove the pin, fill the hole in the lever with hot glue, reinsert pin just shy of flush, and sand everything smooth and rebrush. Easy stuff, I will do a tutorial soon or later. The lume is pretty good. The polish technique is to cover the entire face and bezel with some tape (I use are barrier tape from the office) and burnish really well around the bezel markers. Them a take some sandpaper and light sand away the tap over the markers to expose them (this is actually pretty easy to do). Once the markers are exposed and nothing else, I start sanding lightly with progressive finer sandpaper until up to 1500 grit. Then I switch to my dremel and polishing compounds. The tape protects everything very well from the sandpaper and dremel. It is the technique I used on the 225 bezel.

sconehead

Re-the 111h, what does the DSN dial/handset cost, how good /close to the real thing are they and are they readily available?

This post sounds noobish but I don't care...I want to know... :blush:

houndoggie

Scone--- The best dial is the LH dial but that runs $250+. The DSN is the second best rep dial, far better looking than the standard rep dial. The main thing for me is that the L swiss made L looks pretty good with these. The second advantage is that they come superlumed from DSN and the lume is very good and matches the color well. The DSN dial handset is $90 shipped, but if you are a repeat DSN customer, he sells the set for $70.

houndoggie

DSN 111h dial and hands:

75f846c7.jpg

Sead Superlumed dial and hands:

IMG_1224.jpg

PWC $99 dial and hands:

IMG_1433.jpg

Gen 111h from the net:

925bf090.jpg

Notice the 2 is best on the DSN. The color of the lume is correct with DSN and gets more yellow on the others. Of course, the LSML is better on the DSN than the other 2.

AustinTech

Stop it HD. I am learning too much about PAMs. UGHHHHHH

sconehead
Scone--- The best dial is the LH dial but that runs $250+. The DSN is the second best rep dial, far better looking than the standard rep dial. The main thing for me is that the L swiss made L looks pretty good with these. The second advantage is that they come superlumed from DSN and the lume is very good and matches the color well. The DSN dial handset is $90 shipped, but if you are a repeat DSN customer, he sells the set for $70.

Thanks for the info HD...Greg, you live in the U.K. have you ever used DSN? If you have let me know and I'll pm you a cunning plan that no-one will deduce that could save me some money... :blush:

onzenuub

For a Panerai the 243 with new datewheel looks nice. Sorry Doggie, I am not a Panerai fan.

JohnG

I will pray for your soul.

greg_r

Thanks for the info HD...Greg, you live in the U.K. have you ever used DSN? If you have let me know and I'll pm you a cunning plan that no-one will deduce that could save me some money... :blush:

Sorry, mate - no I haven't used DSN. Yet.

pollux1

In your opinion HD, is it worth paying for the LH dial? Or is the DSN up to speed? I'm asking because I'm going to replace a 005 I gave to a friend, I still miss that damn watch.

alphakazi

they look great HD, I'm also not a huge PAM fan, but these are beauts - especially the 243 - even onze appreciates that one

houndoggie
In your opinion HD, is it worth paying for the LH dial? Or is the DSN up to speed? I'm asking because I'm going to replace a 005 I gave to a friend, I still miss that damn watch.

the 005 is a sausage dial, so I can't comment on the DSN sausage dial (don't know if he does the logo sausage dial). Anyway, I wouldn't spend the money on a LH dial, or CG for the matter (my 111h has one, but it was gifted to me, so why not use it?)

JohnG

These look great HD - sharp, well finished all!

houndoggie

Before DW:

IMG_0791.jpg

After DW upgrade:

309890c4.jpg

the $15 DSN makes a nice improvement. It isn't a lello or a leo, but those are 10x more expensive.

alphakazi

nice - the heavier font makes a good difference

10x more?! I can't imagine...

pollux1

Thanks for the heads up HD.