Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

Interesting Ti-SS mod

JohnG
Sooo, I decided to do a little experiment with my Ti/SS 192 rep. I had read about how mixing oxiclean and hot water and throwing a Ti watch in will oxidize the TI and give it a dark grey with blue look.

I wasn't sure about the water resistance of the 192, and how it would handle being submerged in a chemical bath, so I opened it up, and removed the Venus movement and dial from the case.

I put some oxiclean in one of my pots, stirred in some water, heated it on my stove on low heat, and tossed in the case and bracelet from the 192.

When it came out I really didn't like the blue-ish tint on the Ti parts of the watch, so very lightly wiped it down with a cape cod polishing cloth (barely touching it up), and the blue went away.

Lucky for me the Ti stayed a much darker grey than it originally was, creating a very strong contrast between the Ti and the SS parts of the watch, VERY COOL. Oh yeah, there's one other thing that happened, see if you can spot it. Here's the watch as it is now, re-assembled:

87454-29105.jpg

Yes, as you can see the tachymetre markings around the inner bezel came off. I didn't realize they were part of the case and not part of the dial, so when I put it in the chemical bath, the oxiclean stripped it right off. Now it's less accurate to the original, but the funny thing is that I like the new look much better, cleaner and less busy. I think the new overall look is pretty badass.

trailboss99

Ya I saw that. Neat trick hey? Looks great.

Col.

houndoggie

I like it.

alphakazi
;)

greg_r

Looks pretty good.

JohnG

So I was thinking....

Is it hard to pull the bezel on a Pam case? Probably has to be pressed off from inside?

Because it would be neat to get a Ti case + SS bezel + SS fiddy CG from Jackson Tse, do a two-toner like this.... maybe he could sell me the parts separately to do this?

Hmmm........

houndoggie
So I was thinking....

Is it hard to pull the bezel on a Pam case? Probably has to be pressed off from inside?

Because it would be neat to get a Ti case + SS bezel + SS fiddy CG from Jackson Tse, do a two-toner like this.... maybe he could sell me the parts separately to do this?

Hmmm........

My thoughts exactly...except the I would use a ti cg... Hmmm I already have a blank 44mm SS case doing nothing. Maybe I'll order up a Ti case from JT.

oscarmadfish

that looks cool john

Dr.Manhatten

thats amazing. is that a gen bracelet? i didnt think the rep bracelets came with titanium in em? i heard they used to though...

Drhulee
thats amazing. is that a gen bracelet? i didnt think the rep bracelets came with titanium in em? i heard they used to though...

As I did some research about this very subject yesterday, the answer is a year or two ago some dealers (KING for one) did sell a rep ti/ss bracelet - but only for a short period of time, and they are extremely rare now.

Why, you may ask was I researching this very subject? Because I bought a 192 from a member yesterday, and just got back from picking it up, as he's a local Toronto native. So I'm just going over my new PAM 192, titanium cased (and ti pushers), SS bezel and Seagull/Lemania manual wind movement. Yes I popped the case back to make sure it wasn't the later model 192 that they put out with an A7750 inside. This is the real deal :thud:

Only drawback, he hadn't bought it with the ti/SS bracelet, but I can live with that. Naturally I'll be taking pictures tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned :thud:

OH, pretty good rep lume too, more like a DSN lume.

;)

Drhulee
So I was thinking....

Hmmm........

Sorry, missed this.

I've actually replaced two bezels on ti cases. Both bezels where the new lower profile ti bezel that DSN is putting on his auto cases now. One case was a DSN 240, the other a cartel 089. They both turned out great, but the first time around I though I'd probably end up destroying something as I had to hammer the bezel back into place with a jewelers' hammer and piece of wood ;) - not for the faint of heart. Oh, and don't forget to take out the movement first :thud:

Regarding Jackson's cases, and I am a big JTSE ti fan, I know his ti cases have a special bezel as his crystals are thinner than most. Perhaps it is some sort of plastic insert, I forget.

By the way, why a fiddy CG?

houndoggie

As I did some research about this very subject yesterday, the answer is a year or two ago some dealers (KING for one) did sell a rep ti/ss bracelet - but only for a short period of time, and they are extremely rare now.

Why, you may ask was I researching this very subject? Because I bought a 192 from a member yesterday, and just got back from picking it up, as he's a local Toronto native. So I'm just going over my new PAM 192, titanium cased (and ti pushers), SS bezel and Seagull/Lemania manual wind movement. Yes I popped the case back to make sure it wasn't the later model 192 that they put out with an A7750 inside. This is the real deal :D

Only drawback, he hadn't bought it with the ti/SS bracelet, but I can live with that. Naturally I'll be taking pictures tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned :)

OH, pretty good rep lume too, more like a DSN lume.

:nana:

Bastard!!! How much did you pay??

Drhulee

Holy sh#t! I just realized I paid his asking price in Canadian dollars. Damn, I've got to get ahold of him and correct that. Oh, I paid $300 (CDN so far) for the head and an almost brand new Heroic18 strap.

What is happening to me lately. The same day, I bought an Arktos GMT from another sales thread for $120. Then shortly after I found out that it included two TWB croc straps that I had actually been asking for in my "signature". I completely missed them in the sales posting.

But to add to mu ADD experience, I had beat M (a member on RG) by 20mins for the sale. Hours later I got a PM from him ribbing me and letting me know that if I didn't want the Ferrari to send it down to him. Ferrari??? I wondered what he was talking about and sent him a PM telling him he had made a mistake. He replied with "read the sales post again". I did, and wouldn't you know, the seller mentioned he had a Panerai Ferrari that was about a year and a half old, but since he had given up on wearing PAMs he'd throw it in with the sale.

Sure caught me off guard :nana: He didn't have time to add pictures of the Ferrari yet, since I'd PM'd my intent to buy 15 mins after he posted the Arktos sales thread.

Yup, I'm feeling pretty happy now. But I'v got to correct that currency mistake...

houndoggie

Holy sh#t! I just realized I paid his asking price in Canadian dollars. Damn, I've got to get ahold of him and correct that. Oh, I paid $300 (CDN so far) for the head and an almost brand new Heroic18 strap.

What is happening to me lately. The same day, I bought an Arktos GMT from another sales thread for $120. Then shortly after I found out that it included two TWB croc straps that I had actually been asking for in my "signature". I completely missed them in the sales posting.

But to add to mu ADD experience, I had beat M (a member on RG) by 20mins for the sale. Hours later I got a PM from him ribbing me and letting me know that if I didn't want the Ferrari to send it down to him. Ferrari??? I wondered what he was talking about and sent him a PM telling him he had made a mistake. He replied with "read the sales post again". I did, and wouldn't you know, the seller mentioned he had a Panerai Ferrari that was about a year and a half old, but since he had given up on wearing PAMs he'd throw it in with the sale.

Sure caught me off guard :nana: He didn't have time to add pictures of the Ferrari yet, since I'd PM'd my intent to buy 15 mins after he posted the Arktos sales thread.

Yup, I'm feeling pretty happy now. But I'v got to correct that currency mistake...

$280 is a very good price on the 192... I will buy it from you lest you decide not to keep it. I will pay what you paid, no strap.

Good pick ups for you the past day or so.

Drhulee

Sure caught me off guard :) He didn't have time to add pictures of the Ferrari yet, since I'd PM'd my intent to buy 15 mins after he posted the Arktos sales thread.

$280 is a very good price on the 192... I will buy it from you lest you decide not to keep it. I will pay what you paid, no strap.

I'm sure you would :nana:

I don't think it's going anywhere though, I like the ti case/polished ss bezel combo very much, and as it's a manual wind it is not as thick as my 250 :D

houndoggie

Sure caught me off guard :) He didn't have time to add pictures of the Ferrari yet, since I'd PM'd my intent to buy 15 mins after he posted the Arktos sales thread.

I'm sure you would :nana:

I don't think it's going anywhere though, I like the ti case/polished ss bezel combo very much, and as it's a manual wind it is not as thick as my 250 :D

Well if you don't keep it, I'll take it. That is if Robert can't find me one under his couch cushions.

Drhulee

So has anyone here tried this? What would happen if one just used a toothbrush to apply the solution onto the case?

I'm going to have to hunt down some of this stuff. I remember if from the late night commercials, but haven't noticed it on any supermarket shelves.

Frankt8242

Surprise!!!.....I OWN that same watch.....I bought it from Subzero not long after he posted this!!

IMG_5416-2-1-1.jpg

I still wear it often....

jeffw69

2 year old thread.

:(

powderfreak

nice necropost... :)

Frankt8242
nice necropost... :facepalm:

Just trying to let the new guys know about the process!!...Sorry if I bored you!! ;) ;) :dingleberry-nemesis:

BigBuys

I love old movies!. . . :lol: