Sign in to follow this  
KeNnY

Grades of Chinese watches

KeNnY

hey all,

I found interesting information about the grades of chinese watches, relatively cheap, and you can have your "gen" or homage for cheap,like I had my Obris Morgan.

A common misconception is to group all Chinese watches/movements into one category. This is incorrect and a distinction needs to be made between the different grades of Chinese watches. Common groupings are eBay brands, Mushroom brands, Chinese brands, and Internationally recognized brands that are either entirely made in China or only use Chinese movements.

Lower Tier eBay brands: Orkina, Olipai, Wilon, Fineat, Flent, Goer, etc.

Common prices: ~$10-$20

These are very inexpensive watches and may or may not work very well. They are made with low quality materials and low grade / culled movements. However, it is not uncommon to occasionally find decent working model.

Top Tier eBay brands: Tao International, Parnis, Minorva, Samson, Ouyi, etc.

Common prices: up to ~$100

From customer reviews, these watches appear to be made with better materials and components and are made to higher specifications with better quality control than the Lower Tier eBay brands. While the occasional problem may arise, the customer service at this level tends to be adequate. With quality product, paying close attention to their customers needs, and promptly responding to problems, some of these brands may even overlap into the higher Mushroom Brand category.

Mushroom Brands: Rousseau, Auguste Galan, Aeromatic, Deporte, SUG, Trias, Alpha, AlphaUSA, Tauchmeister, Theorema, Javelle, Swisstar, Obris Morgan, Louis Bolle, Eberle, Chevenard 1928, Lindburg & Sons, Sorna, etc.

Common prices: $50-$300; ~$1,200 for tourbillons

This is a very broad category of Chinese watches. These watches are outsourced from one the high-volume Chinese manufacturers and are made in limited quantities. They are generally made from quality materials with adequate quality control but this will vary from brand to brand. The customer service at this level varies. If purchased directly from one of the larger brand owners (e.g. Always at Market, Contempo Group, etc.) through one of their partners or selling outlets (uBid, ShopNBC, Property Room, eBay, etc.) then the customer service is generally good and defective watches are repaired or replaced. If purchased from a smaller brand owner or third party retailer, then customer service may or may not be adequate or even exist.

Chinese brands: Sea-Gull, Beijing, Shanghai, Dixmont, etc.

Common prices: $100-$500; up to $5,000 for tourbillons, up to $60,000 for ultra complicated models

These are the manufacturers that supply the world with their mechanical movements. The lower quality movements that are culled or do not make quality control specs are sold locally and find their way into eBay & other brands. Sea-Gull, Shanghai, & Beijing are their own brand and are a step above the competition. These watches can have superb fit, finish, and quality and the higher end models may even rival the Swiss. These companies each have over 50 years of experience and have developed many in-house movements including tourbillons, double tourbillons, minute repeaters, perpetual calendars, and Beijing has even developed a Tourbillon & Minute repeater!!! Sea-Gull is a true manufacture which means that not only do they make their own movements, but they make all of the individual components inside the movement. Sea-Gull now has a presence on the internet http://www.usseagull.com and offer 2 year warranties on most of their watches and lifetime warranties on the tourbillons & minute repeaters.

Internationally recognized brands: Invicta, Croton, Edouard Lauzieres, Zodiac, Jacques Leman, Stuhrling Original, Android, Rotary, Adee Kaye, Swiss Legend, Gevril, etc.

Common prices: $50-$500; ~$1,200 for tourbillons

These watches are also outsourced and are generally of equal or higher quality than the average Mushroom brand. Some of these brands claim to hand pick and test the movements before being cased and and others also claim to own their assembling facilities. While it may be uncommon to experience a problem with one of these watches, the customer service of these brands are generally excellent and should be able to keep most customers satisfied. Trying to determine the actual movement caliber used in these watches can be troublesome. Some of the brands are upfront concerning the origins of the movements being used while others rename the movement to an in-house caliber. In my opinion this only adds to the deflection of the true origin of the movement. Renaming a caliber is a well established practice in the watch manufacturing business if a movement is built up from an ebauche and has parts refinished or have complications added. Some Internationally recognized brands may go as far as refinish part of the movement or add a branded rotor but most just use an untouched, off-the-shelf movement. Note: Do not believe any markings you see on the rotor, case, or dial. Examples have been found to have the words "Swiss", "Japan", "France", and other markings that may lead the buyer into thinking the watch and/or movement is anything but Chinese. Examples of Chinese movements legally labeled as Swiss Made calibers are the Claro-Semag CL888 and the Edouard Lauzieres EL-18.

Hope this helps someone :lol:

nuker

Nice one bratku :)but you forgot to mention CJIABA!

twall

I have several watches of varying brands with (and I do believe my current rep has) Sea-Gull movements in them.

They are a helluva movement. Very reliable indeed.

KeNnY

Who knows more brands and price can add here, I just copied the information from wiki site lol

twall
Who knows more brands and price can add here, I just copied the information from wiki site lol

Isn't that what john g (if not him, my apologies - but somebody rides jdoe all the time about it when stuff gets heated) flames jdoe for doing? LOL

Stauer is my favorite mushroom brand.....:rofl: Lots of Sea -Gull movements in them. I have 10 Stauers.........:popcorn:

Their only real flaw (other than their hideous ad copy) is they are overpriced. I never had a problem with their CS.

nuker

copy/paste whore :rofl:

KeNnY
:rofl:

flamagic

Great info - Thanks!

powderfreak

The post contains indeed some information on movements and manufacturers, but it doesn't help much. There are not just the ones mentioned but more likely about 10.000 different brand names on the bay and elswhere. How will you be able to find out which movement/factory/company is behind them?

twall

Swiss movements, particularly older ones, are just as hard to identify as Chinese movements of today. There are like a BUNCH of Sea-Gull variants. They rival the swiss at their use of numbers to 'identify' them.........

It's a bitch to memorize them all, and what they mean (for either)

Take this movement, it isn't named, but it does say 'swiss made' on it, and I do believe it has a patent number. This is a one jewel version of the 17 jewel that is in my Andre Rivalle jump-hour watch. But, I have no idea what brand movement it is.

CC9WI7gWkKGrHqVjUE0C-OW8koBNM7OWMNw_12.jpg

The Andre is from 1976.

KeNnY
The post contains indeed some information on movements and manufacturers, but it doesn't help much. There are not just the ones mentioned but more likely about 10.000 different brand names on the bay and elswhere. How will you be able to find out which movement/factory/company is behind them?

I bet 98% of movements behind mushroom brands, and other brands are PRC :rofl: that means CHINA ! Mostly copies of Miyota movements.

pamelo

I thought Invicta, Jacques Lemans and Stuhrling were Swiss made watches. they are advertised as such.

And can be pricey.

seclark007

Kenny,

Great cut and paste job...and here I was going to comment on how good your english grammar was............... B)

dave47

Helpful quick reference guide. thanks!

dave

hey all,

I found interesting information about the grades of chinese watches, relatively cheap, and you can have your "gen" or homage for cheap,like I had my Obris Morgan.

A common misconception is to group all Chinese watches/movements into one category. This is incorrect and a distinction needs to be made between the different grades of Chinese watches. Common groupings are eBay brands, Mushroom brands, Chinese brands, and Internationally recognized brands that are either entirely made in China or only use Chinese movements.

Lower Tier eBay brands: Orkina, Olipai, Wilon, Fineat, Flent, Goer, etc.

Common prices: ~$10-$20

These are very inexpensive watches and may or may not work very well. They are made with low quality materials and low grade / culled movements. However, it is not uncommon to occasionally find decent working model.

Top Tier eBay brands: Tao International, Parnis, Minorva, Samson, Ouyi, etc.

Common prices: up to ~$100

From customer reviews, these watches appear to be made with better materials and components and are made to higher specifications with better quality control than the Lower Tier eBay brands. While the occasional problem may arise, the customer service at this level tends to be adequate. With quality product, paying close attention to their customers needs, and promptly responding to problems, some of these brands may even overlap into the higher Mushroom Brand category.

Mushroom Brands: Rousseau, Auguste Galan, Aeromatic, Deporte, SUG, Trias, Alpha, AlphaUSA, Tauchmeister, Theorema, Javelle, Swisstar, Obris Morgan, Louis Bolle, Eberle, Chevenard 1928, Lindburg & Sons, Sorna, etc.

Common prices: $50-$300; ~$1,200 for tourbillons

This is a very broad category of Chinese watches. These watches are outsourced from one the high-volume Chinese manufacturers and are made in limited quantities. They are generally made from quality materials with adequate quality control but this will vary from brand to brand. The customer service at this level varies. If purchased directly from one of the larger brand owners (e.g. Always at Market, Contempo Group, etc.) through one of their partners or selling outlets (uBid, ShopNBC, Property Room, eBay, etc.) then the customer service is generally good and defective watches are repaired or replaced. If purchased from a smaller brand owner or third party retailer, then customer service may or may not be adequate or even exist.

Chinese brands: Sea-Gull, Beijing, Shanghai, Dixmont, etc.

Common prices: $100-$500; up to $5,000 for tourbillons, up to $60,000 for ultra complicated models

These are the manufacturers that supply the world with their mechanical movements. The lower quality movements that are culled or do not make quality control specs are sold locally and find their way into eBay & other brands. Sea-Gull, Shanghai, & Beijing are their own brand and are a step above the competition. These watches can have superb fit, finish, and quality and the higher end models may even rival the Swiss. These companies each have over 50 years of experience and have developed many in-house movements including tourbillons, double tourbillons, minute repeaters, perpetual calendars, and Beijing has even developed a Tourbillon & Minute repeater!!! Sea-Gull is a true manufacture which means that not only do they make their own movements, but they make all of the individual components inside the movement. Sea-Gull now has a presence on the internet http://www.usseagull.com and offer 2 year warranties on most of their watches and lifetime warranties on the tourbillons & minute repeaters.

Internationally recognized brands: Invicta, Croton, Edouard Lauzieres, Zodiac, Jacques Leman, Stuhrling Original, Android, Rotary, Adee Kaye, Swiss Legend, Gevril, etc.

Common prices: $50-$500; ~$1,200 for tourbillons

These watches are also outsourced and are generally of equal or higher quality than the average Mushroom brand. Some of these brands claim to hand pick and test the movements before being cased and and others also claim to own their assembling facilities. While it may be uncommon to experience a problem with one of these watches, the customer service of these brands are generally excellent and should be able to keep most customers satisfied. Trying to determine the actual movement caliber used in these watches can be troublesome. Some of the brands are upfront concerning the origins of the movements being used while others rename the movement to an in-house caliber. In my opinion this only adds to the deflection of the true origin of the movement. Renaming a caliber is a well established practice in the watch manufacturing business if a movement is built up from an ebauche and has parts refinished or have complications added. Some Internationally recognized brands may go as far as refinish part of the movement or add a branded rotor but most just use an untouched, off-the-shelf movement. Note: Do not believe any markings you see on the rotor, case, or dial. Examples have been found to have the words "Swiss", "Japan", "France", and other markings that may lead the buyer into thinking the watch and/or movement is anything but Chinese. Examples of Chinese movements legally labeled as Swiss Made calibers are the Claro-Semag CL888 and the Edouard Lauzieres EL-18.

Hope this helps someone :boobies:

KeNnY
Kenny,

Great cut and paste job...and here I was going to comment on how good your english grammar was............... :boobies2:

:DDDD Thanks Seclark, you can say always, that my grammar is good, you will make me feel happier :boobies3:

How come Tauchmeister is labelled as being a mushroom brand?

They have been around since 2005, http://www.tauchmeisterwatches.com/aboutus

I'm just curious as I've just recently ordered a T0104 diving watch myself, http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=16269 :rofl:

:boobies3: Hisv they say they have been here almost for century, what is not true :boobies:

But they can say now they make watches for 5 Years.. but Mushroom brand normally means, that they say, their watches are PURE GERMAN, but they are CHina :D

seoulbrova

What do you suspect is in Super Rep watches?

The ones that go for $200+

Seagull quality?

Caliper

LOL, I thought this was going to be a A, AAA, AAAAAA++++ thread, haha

Interesting and very thorough

this should be a stickied.