Sign in to follow this  
diggs

Looking to purchase my first Pam .... questions???

diggs

I'm looking to purchase my first pam shortly and have some questions for the experts out there ... I originally had intended on purchasing a SOHC but the version 1, 1.5 and 3 became confusing and which dealer had what (although I think I would prefer to purchased it used) or my other option was Robert's ultimate santos ... I tried the gen and love it but may be more dressy than my style of dress call for on a regular basis.

Although I knew I wanted an ultimate version of something between a tool watch and dressy/casual pams were not even a consideration as the different versions were too overwhelming as well as most gens seemed to be $7,000+ .... This is until I saw PWC's Pam 177M boxset offer including servicing.

My questions are around the quality of the case and long term reliability of the movement. I have been searching the forum for a few days now and have come across many great pics and strap options and a couple of reviews of the pam 177m but being a newb to pam's I was hoping to get your feedback ...

Fire away please and thanks in advance and suggestions of other "ultimate" watches out there is welcomed as well

CHeers

greg_r

It's a great watch and has the newer higher-quality movement fitted. Frankly, don't hesitate - I have the equivalent 111m (same watch but in a SS case rather than Ti) and it's superb - very high-quality indeed. Feels like the gen.

vonGluberschmidt

not to cockblock the fine authorized dealers on here....

but over on RG, there are literally SCORES of lightly to heavily modded Pam's.

I bought a grail 036 that I wear and beat to hell daily.

do some looking.

and be patient.... s-o-m-e-o-n-e over there will have what you want....

I prefer the banter and friendliness here over RG...

but the for sale forums on RG is pretty massive.

good luck to you

d.

greg_r

Gotta disagree with VonGluberschmidt there. There's a lot of overpriced stuff on RG - it's a good source if you're after something rare or older (such as the aforementioned 036), but for mainstream current models such as the 177m, you're best buying new - there's not a lot around on the used market yet

vonGluberschmidt

true Greg... I got carried away... was trying to encourage to look for something modified that someone's boredom can be one's gain.

we are all guilty of impulse purchasing/modding.... then it sits.....

as I said...

you just have to be patient.

some good deals come up from time to time... you just have to be vigilant and know what's a ripoff, and what's a good deal.

:P

Mills

The 176 and 177 latest version are really nice watches. The case is solid and looks very gen like. Seeing the offer on PWC I noticed that he is installing the high beat 6497 and, assuming it is the H factory version of the case, is an amazing watch. You should buy with confidence.

Others to consider are the 288K, 253I and the other base pams (000,005,111)

houndoggie

no need for modded pams anymore.

don't feed those sharks.

diggs

Thanks gents, I appreciate both of your expert comments ... I have to agree I think some of the stuff over on RG is a bit overpriced for me. What draws me to Robert's offering is it already has some of the mods eg. superlume and decent AR. Any idea if it's waterproofed?

houndoggie
Thanks gents, I appreciate both of your expert comments ... I have to agree I think some of the stuff over on RG is a bit overpriced for me. What draws me to Robert's offering is it already has some of the mods eg. superlume and decent AR. Any idea if it's waterproofed?

the robert 177m deal is a good one if you like the box thing. you shouldn't have any problems getting it waterproof if it isn't already.

diggs
It's a great watch and has the newer higher-quality movement fitted. Frankly, don't hesitate - I have the equivalent 111m (same watch but in a SS case rather than Ti) and it's superb - very high-quality indeed. Feels like the gen.

Is this the one you are referring to Greg?

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=11457

diggs

the robert 177m deal is a good one if you like the box thing. you shouldn't have any problems getting it waterproof if it isn't already.

Thanks for the feedback HD ...

greg_r

Is this the one you are referring to Greg?

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=11457

Nope - that's an earlier 177L which is nice but isn't quite as good as the one you're looking at (the newer version has a superior movement). This was the 111 I bought: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=18959 Like I said before, it's a very similar watch but is a SS case rather than Ti (and, of course, it's a bit cheaper because it didn't come with the box).

true Greg... I got carried away... was trying to encourage to look for something modified that someone's boredom can be one's gain.

we are all guilty of impulse purchasing/modding.... then it sits.....

as I said...

you just have to be patient.

some good deals come up from time to time... you just have to be vigilant and know what's a ripoff, and what's a good deal.

:P

Yeppers - I agree with all of that, although the need for modding PAMs is much reduced these days (unless you're into the scarcer models, of course). :P