Sign in to follow this  
olly593

A good entry level Digital SLR

olly593

Hi guys i know this is a watch forum but i know that a lot of you are into photography, i've been looking a decent entry level SLR for a while now but i am just more confused.

I was originally settled on the Nikon D3100 but after going into the camera shop yesterday and looking at the Canon 1100D in not sure anymore. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or could anyone recommend something else?

Thanks

KinCaidk

I just got the Canon 600D... MY first DSLR.

I am very happy with it

Del

I'm not a camera buff but my Olympus E420 has been great for me. Very compact too for a DSLR.

olly593

Thanks guys yeah after talking to the guy in the shop and trying them out ive been leaning more towards the Canon's, 600D is a bit more than i wanted to spend at the moment though. The main advantage of the Nikon though is full 1080p video

Cynikal.Mindset

don't buy the camera, buy the glass

in the grand scheme of things they all do the same thing but its the lenses that make the difference. If you don't care about lenses and all the good stuff then really it comes down to price and what feels best in hand. I personally like Nikon as I have invested in their lens system but sometimes I wish I had a Canon for some of their lenses.

Whatever you do though, buy a camera that has the autofocus motor built in to the camera body and doesn't rely on the actual lens to have a motor.

happy shooting!

terma-nator
Whatever you do though, buy a camera that has the autofocus motor built in to the camera body and doesn't rely on the actual lens to have a motor.

happy shooting!

Which camera lenses don't have the focusing motors in them. I thought they all did....I know canon and Nikon all do.

Rav747

happy shooting!

Which camera lenses don't have the focusing motors in them. I thought they all did....I know canon and Nikon all do.

I thought so too. I know the d40,3000, and 90 have them, for sure. Hmm...

Distinct
don't buy the camera, buy the glass

in the grand scheme of things they all do the same thing but its the lenses that make the difference. If you don't care about lenses and all the good stuff then really it comes down to price and what feels best in hand. I personally like Nikon as I have invested in their lens system but sometimes I wish I had a Canon for some of their lenses.

happy shooting!

The best entry level DSLR is a used one. No two ways about it. Go and find an older Nikon D40/50/70, etc. or a Canon Rebel for a a couple hundred dollars. Learn to use the the controls and experiment. I see a lot of people who get a DSLR and it sits on Full Auto with a pop-up flash. You might as well get a point and shoot. You can always keep the cheaper used camera and use it on vacation or in rough environments, even after you've upgraded to a newer more feature rich model later.

Cynikal.Mindset is completely right about everything. I have an old Canon and 4 different lenses. The investment is the glass and maybe the external flash (I absolutely hate on board flashes and you should never use them).

Distinct

Nikon models with no-focus motor and relies on the lenses D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000, and D5100.

olly593

Thanks for the input, just got off the phone with a friend of mine who has just set up a photography business and he swears by Canon, seems like it may have to be the 600D after all more money but seems well worth it as a base. I didnt realsie the Nikon D3100 didn't have a auto focus motor built in.

fe22ari

Olympus Pen

Baldrick

Why is it some members on this forum seem Rolex / Panerai / Nikon / Canon- centric...those same members never tire of telling others what's the 'best buy'.....despite very rarely if ever posting wunnerful examples from their Canikon.

IMO, which is considerable, given that I've been in a few different SLR / DSLR camps over many years, the best advice is to invest in optics, the rest is just a light tight box with features, there's no need to go out and invest in a Canon 600D because your buddy has, especially when he has set up a business, he'll be looking for a return on his investment and will almost certainly have done a CBA with regard to his investment.

If you're a casual shooter, looking for a versatile DSLR, with in-built anti-shake, access to a wide range of cheap AND expensive glass, look at Sony Alpha, they all use the Minolta mount of which there are hundreds of inexpensive lenses available and newer Carl Zeiss optics if you want top notch glass, most average DSLR shooters will never out-perform the capabilities of their lenses, unless they're doing commercial work.

Sony are on their way towards outselling Canikon in the amateur and semi-pro markets, simply because they're offering so much more and being innovative at the same time, with new translucent mirror technology and HD video capture, all with anti-shake built into each body, Minolta pioneered it, Sony perfected it.

I have Sony A700 / Sony A500 and Sony A200 bodies, plus a mix of lenses, they offer more than Canikon at better value with less expensive accessories and performance that equals and in many cases betters the usual suspects.

The Sony A500 is great value for money, with the facility to magnify your subject on Live View and focus pin sharp, also with a X2 converter built in which effectively doubles the range of any lens you attach to it, e:g a Sony / Minolta 70-210 becomes a 140-420 zoom lens.

In fact my Sony A200 complete with battery grip and 18-70mm lens will be coming up for sale, imminently at a very reasonable 235 GBP.

SONY A200

6806-SonyA200back.jpg

6806-SonyA200front.jpg

6806-SonyA200hatches.jpg

6806-SonyA200kit.jpg

6806-SonyA200left.jpg

6806-SonyA200mount.jpg

6806-SonyA200right.jpg

6806-SonyA200top.jpg

SONY A500

e295183dd7970395.jpg

ZBATTGRIP.jpg

ZBEAUTY-LG.jpg

ZLCDANIM.gif

ZURBACK-LG.jpg

ZURTOP-LG.jpg

SONY A700

ZPREBACK.jpg

ZPREBATTGRIP-LG.jpg

ZPREBGBACK.jpg

ZPREFRONT-LG.jpg

ZPRETOP.jpg

dingle
Why is it some members on this forum seem Rolex / Panerai / Nikon / Canon- centric....especially when those same members never tire of telling others what's the 'best buy'.

iCanon :D

greg_r

Agree with much of what Baldrick says - albeit when I was in the retail trade I learned to hate Sony's consumer products support division with a passion (because they're a bunch of merchant bankers), which is why I would NEVER buy a Sony product under any circumstances whatsoever. YMMV :D

However, having said that, Baldrick is right on the money. Ultimately, whether you buy Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax - you're going to get a decent camera. The thing to be picky about is the glass you put on it. The camera itself is very much down to personal preference - go to a photo store, handle the alternatives and buy the one that feels most comfortable in your hands - it will pay dividends in terms of usability in the long term.

AustinTech

It's all about the glass.

Camera is irrelavant, they are all good. I have a Canon. How to use the thing, I don't know. Nikon probably would have been a better choice, but it is what it is.

powderfreak

Pentax :D

amuthon

cheap and older samsung/pentax with kit lense,

works for noobs like me and for pics like this:

SG1L2720.jpg

pollux1

Why not buy a second user dslr from a good seller? ffordes has a good selection and are always on the money for quality? As others have stated glass is where the money will go.

fe22ari
Olympus Pen

Forgot to add... get the lumix pancake lens to go with, it has Leica optics