Sign in to follow this  
anthonyd

Can just the minute/hour hands loose time

anthonyd

Can anyone explain this? I have a recently bought DSSD with a 21J movement and it is loosing time on the minute hand only.

I did the following test:

This morning I synced the watch exactly to my mobile phone at 8:30am.

At exactly 11:00am the watch showed the minute hand between 59 and 00, but the second hand was still in sync with the mobile phone. I was checking the watch every 10 or 15 minutes so I woudl have noticed if the seconds had drifted.

It is now 13:11 and the DSSD is now exactly one minute behind the mobile phone. Seconds still in sync but the minute hand has lost a full minute.

I bought this watch off one of the most trusted dealers on this site and he did a pre delivery service which concluded that the watch is within 5s per day. This is confirmed by the second hand on the watch (it is maybe half a second behind the phone now) but somehow the miuntes still get lost.

It is almost as if the gear ratio driving the minute hands is out, is this possible and has anyone ever seen something like this before?

I have not tested long enough to verify if the hour hand suffers the same, but I suspect it would.

Dendo

Too many things could be happening here. Run the watch for a few days and see what it loses or not.

Could be a slipping second hand. Could be the hand jumping as you push the crown in. etc etc

Post some pics in a few days.

anthonyd
Could be a slipping second hand. Could be the hand jumping as you push the crown in. etc etc

I dont understand how the second hand could be slipping and still be on time? As I said the seconds are always in sync with my phone, it is the minutes that are falling behind at a rate of about a minute every 4 hours.

Regarding the minute hand moving when I press the crown in - I am sure I would notice that plus it does not explain why the minutes are perfect when I started this test and then gradually lost a full minute over the course of about 4 hours. It is just like the minute and hour hands that are slow but the second hand is not.

I am monioring it over the weekend and will see how it goes. I previously had a new 7750 movemen from mary that also did strange things for the first few days and then settled down and is now quiet acceptable.

Edited by anthonyd

anthonyd

Well it is now 11:10pm saterday night and the watch is showing 10:42 so it has nearly lost a full half hour in just over 36 hours. Interesting thing is that the seconds is still correct.

I guess I will need to return it to the dealer on monday, I doubt this is something that can be regulated out.

flottiglia

Your cannon pinion is slipping mate,basically not enough friction between the cannon pinion (minute wheel) and the shaft its pressed on to.It can be fixed its a dial off job,then remove the hour and minute wheels and nip the minute wheel up a little and will take a watchmaker about an hour.

Another symptom you often find with this problem is the hands are quite sloppy and light when you set the time.

I'd be looking to return it if you have only just bought it.

Cynikal.Mindset

just buy a new 21j movement and swap it out, it will be cheaper and faster to do. Sending it back to China and then back to you is gonna take about a month. Order a new movement and have it fixed in a week. This is a fairly common problem I have found in some 21J movements and I have no clue what the cause is but 25bux for a new movement and an hour of work (being generous) and you're back to business. I had the same kind of issue and I tried regulating the shit out of it over a week and no progress ordered a new movement from Mary (with some other things) and I had it fixed up right quick

anthonyd
just buy a new 21j movement and swap it out, it will be cheaper and faster to do. Sending it back to China and then back to you is gonna take about a month. Order a new movement and have it fixed in a week.

I'd do this if it were not for the fact that I already paid for a pre-delivery service. Replacing the movement kinda negates the whole service doesn't it?

I am trying ot get hold of the dealer in question but so far I have had no response to my email and PM even though I see he is being active in these forums.

Oh well patience is a virtue I guess.

Edited by anthonyd

MikeMcNair
just buy a new 21j movement and swap it out, it will be cheaper and faster to do. Sending it back to China and then back to you is gonna take about a month. Order a new movement and have it fixed in a week.

I'd do this if it were not for the fact that I already paid for a pre-delivery service. Replacing the movement kinda negates the whole service doesn't it?

I am trying ot get hold of the dealer in question but so far I have had no response to my email and PM even though I see he is being active in these forums.

Oh well patience is a virtue I guess.

robert is tough to get a hold of period. (im pretty sure thats yer dealer here)

you need the hands properly installed and the watch regulated. pre-sale service makes sure the movement is lubed properly, that's about it dude.

this is an easy fix if you need help. i'm sure i could walk you through it.