Sign in to follow this  
duke

Seconds hand slows then speeds up every 10 sec. around the dial??

duke

What causes the Asian 21j cheapo movement in my vintage 1680 to sweep slowly for 8 or 10 seconds then speed back up to normal speed (21,600) for 8 or 10 seconds and repeat constantly all the way around the dial??

I know it's not worth even trying to fix but I'm curious what causes it? I've seen the same thing happen in one other cheapo Japanese movement also.

Is it the mainspring outta whack?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Duke

Jetpants
What causes the Asian 21j cheapo movement in my vintage 1680 to sweep slowly for 8 or 10 seconds then speed back up to normal speed (21,600) for 8 or 10 seconds and repeat constantly all the way around the dial??

I know it's not worth even trying to fix but I'm curious what causes it? I've seen the same thing happen in one other cheapo Japanese movement also.

Is it the mainspring outta whack?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Duke

Gravity. The 2813s have a hand stutter. I read something about a weak drivetrain (or something) being the nature of the movement.

There are some other 21js i've found that dont display this behavior. Some street reps i have and the ploprof v1 (silver movements) don't stutter.

It doesn't affect timekeeping btw.

Cynikal.Mindset

the silver or gold movements can stutter and a few things contribute to it like a dry (not properly oiled) movement, crappy gears in the gear train, a heavy seconds hand etc. You can try a new movement from cousins/offrei/esslinger etc and that should correct your problem

robznet

Fully agree - I got a dg2813 from cousins recently, went into my sea dweller easily and solved all the problems I was having.

Copy of order details and price below - hope it helps to some degree.

YOUR ORDER:

Your Order Reference Number:

Our Order Reference Number: 99649

Delivery Charge: £2.34

Order Total Cost (including VAT): £14.45

duke

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll order a replacement movement for it. Maybe I'll just upgrade to a ETA. If it will fit? Will I need a new movement holder or can the existing one be modified?

tanwill

If it got a date, the ETA will not fit.

If it got no date, it will fit if the dial-feet are cut and using tape/or relocate the dial feet to the ETA.

Direct swap will be the DG.