Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

Stunning pocket watch conversions.

trailboss99

These are done by a guy here in OZ. They are gen PP and A Lang & Sohne pocket watches converted into stunning wristwatches. Wow! I love the Lang.

Lang

PP

Col.

greg_r
These are done by a guy here in OZ. They are gen PP and A Lang & Sohne pocket watches converted into stunning wristwatches. Wow! I love the Lang.

Lang

PP

Col.

Beautiful watches - damn, but I'd be tempted to bid on the Lange...

trailboss99

You ain't the only one but Trailie too broke buying stock and tools to bid :)

I'd love a Lange and that's the only one I'm likely to be able to afford. I have NFI how much they go for in the end mind you.

Col.

greg_r

Looking at some of his previous sales, they seem to range from £160 up to around £700 - the Lange is likely to be the top end of that, I'd guess.

Can't afford it at the mo, to be honest - but I might snipe on one or other of 'em if they don't go too high ;)

trailboss99

700 pounds is still a damn cheap way into the top end. Waaaay at the top end!

Go on, you know you want it!

Col.

oscarmadfish

what a great idea and what gorgeous watches

offshore

This guy has been offering these for maybe 18 months - 2 years now.

Be aware that he also trades under a few different alias'. (And I have his "shop" direct contact)

I believe he is quite legit, (can't understand why the various names actually)

He is buying up pocket watches, (has actually contacted me for some)

I think he has an old tradesman who does his "upgrades" and advises him on what sells.(and can be easily converted), and understand that person is a watchmaker in Byron Bay Oz.

Obviously nice work is being done on the lugs, and turning the movement so the crown is at 3.

In the end, I don't know what REAL value there is in these....would hate to try and resell one that owed me say 1k!

Can assure you guys, I have followed his offers for 18 months, and still haven't had one fly under the radar, which I could snipe! He lists worldwide, so the bids come from allover, not just Oz.

Offshore

greg_r

Thanks for the tip, Offshore. Pretty much what I expected, to be honest. If I bought one, it would be something I'd buy to keep - not as an investment, but right now I'm trying not to get carried away (not to mention that a 50mm watch is a little large for me).

As far as actual value goes, well he's listing a VC that looks almost identical to a pocket watch I sold last year for around £800 (and it wasn't in the greatest condition), so if he's reaching that kinda money with his conversions, I don't think it's unreasonable.

AustinTech

That Lange is incredible.

trailboss99
That Lange is incredible.

Yep, me want, me can't afford ;)

Such is life.

Col.

omni

I agree, the Lang is a find.

KBH

I don't know if you guys have seen his other auctions. He's got about 6 different ones going. I'd like to know how he gets the winding stem turned around.

Here's one that I saw posted on another forum. Same thing but a little different idea.

pocketwatchconvb.jpg

greg_r

Gorgeous thing.

I'm definitely going to have to have something like that one of these days...

AustinTech

I was high bidder on that Lange for about 2 mins. Exciting two minutes.

I really like these old pocket watch style vintage watches. Been bidding on them for a long time. Almost got a nice Longines, but someone bid $3 more than my highest bid. Damn it all.

Still looking...

oscarmadfish

that looks great

thanx KBH

pollux1

That Lange is just so beautiful, thanks traillie

alw

Excellent. Although I cannot see how I could wear a 55mm monster on my wrist. Big watches are so yesterday (waiting for my 35mm Rollie).

alphakazi
Excellent. Although I cannot see how I could wear a 55mm monster on my wrist. Big watches are so yesterday (waiting for my 35mm Rollie).

:huh:

omni

The debate still continues, big watch fad, is it over like the recession or not? I wear on all my travels the 4 timezone Glycine Airman 7, ridiculously at 53mm in diameter, it doesn't seem so large to me since it sits low and flat at 6mm thick including crystal. I asked the seller of this 50mm cased Lange pocket/wrist watch the thickness, he answered it was 12.4mm tall case, with crystal 15.6mm tall. (Edit: Corrected) A case that thick, even if it was 44mm in diameter, commands quite a wrist presence and probably looks just huge on the wrist unless you are Richard Lawton over at RWGforum.com who showed a 65mm watch on his 8.5 inch wrist attached to his 6 ft. 4 inch frame. I'm not that big to carry this off so I may pass on the auction.

alw

I just measured: My wrist is about 50mm wide. :thumbsup:

trailboss99

Who cares if ya can't wear it, I just wanna look at it :thumbsup:

Soooooo lovely!

Col.

omni
Obviously nice work is being done on the lugs, and turning the movement so the crown is at 3.

Finally found out how he got the crown at 3. That's the way the original was made. See Here.

trailboss99

Both the Lange and Patak are up to near 300 pounds now with two days to go.

Col.

offshore

Finally found out how he got the crown at 3. That's the way the original was made. See Here.

Not to much work needed on that one Omni!

For the others, it is just a reposition of the dial, fit new dial feet or reattach with dial dots or other methods.

O/S

KBH

I had no idea how many of those sidewards pocket watches there were. I just picked

up a high quality vintage Eta 6498 for $26. I think it will drop right in my FA Jones case.

In fact the face and hands are very similar to the FA Jones.

252_e-vi.jpg

252_a-vi.jpg

Here's the case for it:

DSCN2277.jpg