Sign in to follow this  
diggs

Servicing reps

diggs

Just wondering how important is it to have reps serviced and how often?

Ollifl

Just enjoy them while they last, buy a new one or replace the movement....

greg_r

Depends on the quality of the rep. Cheaper stuff isn't worth servicing. High end watches use the same kinda movements as the gen so in theory, service 'em every 5 years or so and they should last as long as the real thing.

Personally I get 'em fixed when they break (or just buy a new one) :lol:

onzenuub

Just buy a rep and throw it away immediate after buying it, no servicing will be needed. :P

diggs
Depends on the quality of the rep. Cheaper stuff isn't worth servicing. High end watches use the same kinda movements as the gen so in theory, service 'em every 5 years or so and they should last as long as the real thing.

Personally I get 'em fixed when they break (or just buy a new one) :P

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Most of what I've bought has been good quality just wondering if it's worth paying for service depending on the movement ie. 7750 or 6497.

A big part of me is a price buyer and sometimes not sure if its worth spending the extra $40-50. Probably by the time its breaks i'd be bored of it or a better version will be out anyway ;)

g.man
Just buy a rep and throw it away immediate after buying it, no servicing will be needed. :popcorn:

Ahahaha!

Caliper

A6497 movement is cheap movement, but you can have it serviced since they tend to fail from time to time. A7750 must be serviced or it will eventually fail.

greg_r

Personally I get 'em fixed when they break (or just buy a new one) :P

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Most of what I've bought has been good quality just wondering if it's worth paying for service depending on the movement ie. 7750 or 6497.

A big part of me is a price buyer and sometimes not sure if its worth spending the extra $40-50. Probably by the time its breaks i'd be bored of it or a better version will be out anyway :)

Pre-service on a 7750 is worth doing as they're hard to find parts for - I wouldn't hesitate there. I wouldn't personally bother on a 6497 - they're pretty much bombproof and easy to fix if they do go wrong. Other movements depend on how well your paranoia meds are working ( :D ) but clone ETA's in more expensive watches are probably worth the investment (although personally, I like to live dangerously! ;) )

LeandroBR
Pre-service on a 7750 is worth doing as they're hard to find parts for - I wouldn't hesitate there.

Even if you don't play with the chronos ? Most of my collection are A7750 chronos...

twall
[...] Probably by the time its breaks i'd be bored of it or a better version will be out anyway :thumbsup2:

I think you hit the nail on the head, far as I'm concerned. It's my theory, anyhow! ;)

However, as far as Rolex is concerned, I don't see how a lot of them can really get much better........