Sign in to follow this  
inkech

General questions about dealers' lingo

inkech

Hi everybody. Noob here.

There are a couple of dealers' definitions that I don't understand

1- Is "Asia automatic" a quartz or a mechanical movement?

2- Do mechanical rep chronometers exist?

3- How can you tell from a picture if the subdials of a rep chronometer function?

4- Some rep chronometers replace the seconds subdials by day/date subdials. Why? Is it for display only?

As you might have guessed, I am looking for a fully working rep chronometer and I'm afraid to goof.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Chris

gtwc

Actually 'chronograph' is what you are looking for, with working sub-dials measuring seconds / 1/10ths os secs,

hours, minutes etc.

A chronometer is a watch that has been tested (normally at COSH) to maintain a degree of accuracy that is

superb for a mechanical watch (ie: not quartz), somewhere in the region of between -4 to +8 secs a day, in a variety of positions and at a range of temperatures.

Even the cheapest quartz watch will more often or not out-perform the most expensive mechanical in terms of pure time-keeping, but cannot hold a candle to it when it comes to the essence of beauty !!!!!

houndoggie

1. 21j asian miyota clone, automatic

2. yes

3. takes a little knowledge.

4. those would be faux chrono movements.. base on the 21j asian movment. Pushers manual advance each subdial hand one click per push.

5. fully functional chrono movement in reps are quartz, asian 7750, asian 7753, and st-19 venus clone.