Sign in to follow this  
twall

My "new" watchmaker's bench

twall

This is an old J.H.Rosberg watchmaker's bench I got off my Amish watchamker buddy for $50. The plywood sides are in bad shape, so I will replace them. Already have the LH side off. The top was covered in leather. It was used as a lathe bench. Under the leather, was a gorgeous blonde solid oak top. I've already plugged the holes, and sanded it down.

The slide out "catch-all" has a loose cloth bottom to catch any teeny tiny parts you may drop (once I patch the hole it will, anyway).

Any idea how old this thing is? The stain was sprayed on, and like I said, it used plywood for the sides, along with solid oak drawers and bits.

DSCF1199.jpg

DSCF1204.jpg

DSCF1200.jpg

DeLaForce

50$ mate that's a steal !!!! Awesome !!!

twall

This thing is OLD.

I'm pretty sure that cloth was a leftover piece from when they made the Shroud of Turin.......:D

WebWind

jawdrop.jpg

WOW!

trailboss99

Nice pickup mate!

KeNnY
:huh: nice

twall

After doing some searching, come to find out this company is one of the most famous benchmakers (shows you what I knew about them!). All the pics I have seen have different drawer pulls, and a slightly different layout. Turns out they are highly sought after. :huh:

I never usually get lucky like this!

I'm thinking of leaving the drawer fronts like they are - for the worn look. I will refinish the top, since that is the working surface, and I had to dowel so many screw holes. :huh:

Hopefully, I can match the original finish. I'll keep ya posted on how this project is coming.

DeLaForce

Yes mate its a cracking piece..... V-lucky!!!!

Yeah I would leave the front too it looks great as it is !!

GL with the renovation :)

SeanusMaximus

Oooooh I wanna restore something again now! Thanksssss! :)

dingle
:)

Dr Yan

That is a sweet piece of furniture man!

now all you need is a watchmaker! :)

twall

I'm working with above mentioned Amish watchmaker buddy, so that'll be remedied soon enuff. :rofl:

Aren

What a great find.

I think it is incredible. Congratulations! It's a lovely piece.

I am sure you will get lots of use from it.

:rofl:

twall

Thanks, Aren. :rofl:

I know I will. The work I have to put into it will guarantee it.

P4GTR

very cool. Make sure it's not worth a bajillion dollars before you restore it. That 'ol leather top good for any vintage strap projects? :(

twall
very cool. Make sure it's not worth a bajillion dollars before you restore it. That 'ol leather top good for any vintage strap projects? :Whistle:

Sadly, no. :D I considered it. It's inflexible as hell. Maybe if I put something on it to soften it......

There's enough leather for about 100+ straps, if I can figure that out........ :D That WOULD be cool - watch straps made from a watchmaker's benchtop. :(

P4GTR
very cool. Make sure it's not worth a bajillion dollars before you restore it. That 'ol leather top good for any vintage strap projects? :Whistle:

Sadly, no. :D I considered it. It's inflexible as hell. Maybe if I put something on it to soften it......

There's enough leather for about 100+ straps, if I can figure that out........ :D That WOULD be cool - watch straps made from a watchmaker's benchtop. :(

Very cool indeed! It may be too thick as it stands. A tool called a skiver would help you shave it down to a workable thickness, but I digress. I don't want to murk up your thread. I'll peek back to see any progress you update with. :D

twall

Very cool indeed! It may be too thick as it stands. A tool called a skiver would help you shave it down to a workable thickness, but I digress. I don't want to murk up your thread. I'll peek back to see any progress you update with. :D

Not a problem.

The thickness is actually absolutely perfect for a solid strap. Would have to be thinner if layered. The flex is what I would have problems with. This shit has to be 80 years old........

twall

Here's the results of playing this weekend. Used a 2' X 4' "handi-panel" of birch plywood. Did the fancy stuff at the bottom with a jigsaw and a scrolling blade. :)

Before stain (I made an endcap out of walnut):

DSCF1207.jpg

After stain:

DSCF1212.jpg

Luthier

Oh, my...

Great job, Todd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twall
Oh, my...

Great job, Todd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Luth! That's quite a compliment coming from you! ;) The routing for the back panel and the cross pieces was a bit of a pain - I made the noob mistake of forgetting about the damned endcap (I routed BEFORE I put the endcap on), but it was a fixable oops. :)

Aren

Had to look...lovely job and beautiful bench.

Congratulations!

Please be sure to share all of the finished photos.

:)

twall

Thanks for looking, even though you were pooped, Aren. :)

powderfreak

I usually don't like old furniture so much, but that looks pretty cool! Great job!

Wiz

Nice work :thumbsup: