Sign in to follow this  
Member X

IWC Portuguese 1939

Member X

Well, having put the Sterile BP on this morning (the movement really is a bitch to kickstart after it's run down lol), I had a text to say that I had a Post Office "Could not deliver" card through the door where I get parcels delivered to.

Ran over there and picked it up straight away and headed over to the Post Office to pick it up. I thought it was going to be the IWC Portuguese 1939 I'd been waiting for from Eurotimez for seemingly forever lol (first one had a subdial flaw, second one still did but he assured me they were all like that, then contact went a bit quiet while it was transferring across continents) but I couldn't be sure...

I'm pleased to say it was! Woo! :morebeer:

Excellent AR, smooth and firm winding action, half decent strap, feels solid as a brick :wub:

Will get some pics up tomorrow as I've not got a camera to hand at the moment, but as I posted over on the other RWG (is it RWG2?) first impressions are that it really is a good buy and worth the extra money over ebay cheapies!

greg_r

Cool - good as some cheapies are, there's no substitute for buying something a little more upmarket - especially when you're talking auto movements.

Looking forward to the pics :morebeer:

Member X

I'm aware that it's not necessarily a wear everywhere watch, though, mainly because of the fact that while a 3717 is something that I may be able to afford at my age, a £40k platinum watch probably isn't... LoL :morebeer:

Member X

Ok, wristies are here!

Apologies for the modem killer pics... lol

dscf1492y.jpg

dscf1489e.jpg

dscf1495g.jpg

dscf1500.jpg

dscf1496y.jpg

dscf1507.jpg

Really should have cleaned it properly lol

dscf1509c.jpg

dscf1510.jpg

I love it, I have to say :P It was an easy choice this morning between this and the Parnis and the BP!

It's not perfect though, as you can see here:

Can you see the subdial misprint?

dscf1515.jpg

Look a little closer:

dscf1515cr.jpg

It seems that all the pics that have been posted of the white faced model are like this, and the one I was sent photos of before this one was slightly worse, fading out completely round the bottom. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the black faced ones, if Lani's pics on .cc are an indication of what they're like.

Also, I only just noticed it when looking super close before bed but I have a couple of numerals not fully pressed into the dial, namely the 2 in 12 and the 0 in 10:

dscf1521l.jpg

dscf1522.jpg

dscf1524z.jpg

It's not noticeable at all on the wrist though, so it's not really a worry. Well, unless they fall out... lol

Overall I recommend them highly :D

dscf1519r.jpg

dscf1520l.jpg

Hope you like!

Edited by greg_r
Edited to embed photos in post

greg_r

I've fixed it for you this time, but for future reference: when you're posting pics, don't just paste the URL into the regular text box. Click the little icon that looks like a landscape in a frame (to the right of the icon with the arrow and + sign) and post the image URL into the resulting dialog. That will embed the photos in your post - makes it a lot easier for us to see them :D

IWC looks pretty good, though. Enjoy! :P

Member X

Duly noted :popcorn::D

Although I've already posted the same way in the wristies thread... LOL :P

greg_r

So I see - just wondering what happened here, in that case. Brain fart? :P

Member X

I meant I'd already posted the wrong way in the wristies thread, my brain is wrecked this week and I can't communicate very well lol

houndoggie

Looks great...

I like the subdial at 6... kinda a nice change of pace from the PAM 9 eaters.

So, the vaunted Eurotimez QC, that you pay extra for, is still not any good.

greg_r
I meant I'd already posted the wrong way in the wristies thread, my brain is wrecked this week and I can't communicate very well lol

hehe :thumbsup:

Member X
Looks great...

Well, to their credit, they were swift at responding to emails at the start, in June, and did provide the photos I wanted. This meant that I picked up the subdial issue and asked for another one. Took a little bit of time but they then sent pics of the second one, which I couldn't see the subdial very well on (I think their program compresses the pics badly) so I asked for a macro shot and raised the issue of the subdial. Chris said that they were all like that unfortunately so I could proceed or get another one, depending on if I was ok with it. My macro photo turned up about this time so I had a good look and decided that it was probably alright to live with, so sent a 'go ahead' email. Took a couple of days to get a confirmation email but they did send updates through when it was being shipped to europe and then shipped out. I got the wrong tracking code it seems as it said it was already delivered to some address miles away lol but it then turned up the next day in decent packaging and signed for delivery.

I'm not 100% sure I'll use them again as I might try Robert and Ruby on here next time to see how they compare. I guess all dealers are only as good as their latest delivery, but it was disappointing that ET communications tailed off once shipment was in progress. I don't know what's going on, perhaps Chris is still having staff troubles? The end result I was happy with but from what I've read on here it could have been better.

greg_r

ET were removed from our trusted dealer list some time ago for these sorts of issues and I personally wouldn't consider buying from him now. Chris always seems to have staff troubles or, well, just troubles. Lots of excuses too. His much vaunted QC and standard of service really doesn't measure up.

houndoggie
Looks great...

Well, to their credit, they were swift at responding to emails at the start, in June, and did provide the photos I wanted. This meant that I picked up the subdial issue and asked for another one. Took a little bit of time but they then sent pics of the second one, which I couldn't see the subdial very well on (I think their program compresses the pics badly) so I asked for a macro shot and raised the issue of the subdial. Chris said that they were all like that unfortunately so I could proceed or get another one, depending on if I was ok with it. My macro photo turned up about this time so I had a good look and decided that it was probably alright to live with, so sent a 'go ahead' email. Took a couple of days to get a confirmation email but they did send updates through when it was being shipped to europe and then shipped out. I got the wrong tracking code it seems as it said it was already delivered to some address miles away lol but it then turned up the next day in decent packaging and signed for delivery.

I'm not 100% sure I'll use them again as I might try Robert and Ruby on here next time to see how they compare. I guess all dealers are only as good as their latest delivery, but it was disappointing that ET communications tailed off once shipment was in progress. I don't know what's going on, perhaps Chris is still having staff troubles? The end result I was happy with but from what I've read on here it could have been better.

It is nice and all, and I agree that Chris has excellent aftersales service, but they DO NOT QC all the watches, if any, before they send them out. So you pay a premium for nothing. How did they miss the markers on your watch?

Member X

The pics make it look worse than it is as on the wrist it isn't that noticeable at all, definitely not something that you'd pick up if you were visiting a factory and stocking up without getting a loupe out on all of them, but given it was clearly in the pics it would have been good if it was noticed before sending the pics. I don't think there's a check of the pics before sending them though.

It was $20 more expensive than other places but I think I'm happy to have paid that just to have the ability to check the pictures and approve it before shipping. Saves a lot of time and hassle that way! At least it means that they actually handle the watches rather than dropshipping.

I'm itching to try out ruby and robert - must... resist... lol I need to pay for the other two I've got first!

Member X

Update with stingray strap pics :popcorn:

dscf1855l.jpg

dscf1851n.jpg

dscf1852.jpg

jameo210369

Great pics X, thanks for sharing. She is stunning.

mbjoer

Based on this thread I bought a Gold version from Mary @ Watchinternational. I specifically pointed out the subdial issue, and needless to say, the one I received is perfect.

It seems that the movement exists in various versions with none, some or quite a lot of decoration. Mine has none although I would have liked some.

But all in all this watch must qualify as one of the true bargains in the rep-world.

It will however need a strap at a higher cost than the watch itself. Somewhat rediculous, but it will not work as a package otherwise.

I do wonder when someone will provide quality alligator straps at reasonable prices....

Edited by mbjoer

Member X

Sweet, nice choice! Glad my ramblings were of use ;)

Hope you're going to post pics :irish_dance:

I think there are a few vesions of this, as you say - I've also seen wristies on RWG2 of a slightly different (incorrect, I think) dial.

I fully agree about the strap though - it looks alright from a distance but it's clearly plasticky and stiff and cheap when you get up close. Please post if you find a good one!

mbjoer

I received my RG version from Mary about a month ago and hanve now a new strap and have tried to get some pictures of it to post here.

The first thing to note is that this watch in contrast to my Portuguese Chrono does not need additional service or AR treatment. It has had a new strap (from The Watch Boys), but the total cost is a fraction of the other one. And I have no worries that it will actually work!

The second thing is that the colouring of the dial is not as shown on my pictures, where it seems rather white/silverish. Rather it is a somewhat yellowish cream, which was not what I expected, but which looks good and offers a nice change from the standard white dials.

Other than that , here are the pics:

103.jpg[/img]

136.jpg[/img]

120.jpg[/img]

131.jpg[/img]

118.jpg[/img]

127.jpg[/img]

dingle

nice pics Mb. :)

Member X

Nice!

How much was the WatchBoys strap in the pictures, if you don't mind me asking? :lmao2:

mbjoer
Nice!

How much was the WatchBoys strap in the pictures, if you don't mind me asking? :lmao2:

I think about $ 110 including shipping.

The funny thing is that it looked so much like a real version of the plastic strap the watch came with. They are clearly both very close copies of the OEM.

Member X

Ouch!

But that's not as bad as some (and not as bad as a gen, even a potentially dodgy gen off ebay lol) so I guess it's the best idea :lmao2:

It feels weird spending almost as much as the watch again on a strap, though :P lol but definitely is a massive improvement on the plasticky rep one!!

mbjoer

I agree. It seems strange that a bit of leather should cost the same as the watch head.

And I really don't understand why the rep-makers bother to send the plastic crap with their otherwise nice watches. There is no way I would wear this one with the strap it came with.

Somehow there shoud be an opportunity for a dealer to provide quality straps at reasonable prices with the dress watches.

dingle
I agree. It seems strange that a bit of leather should cost the same as the watch head.

And I really don't understand why the rep-makers bother to send the plastic crap with their otherwise nice watches. There is no way I would wear this one with the strap it came with.

Somehow there shoud be an opportunity for a dealer to provide quality straps at reasonable prices with the dress watches.

did you ever replace the strap on your Breguet?