Sign in to follow this  
gmchris

"working chrono" definition

gmchris

Being a bit of a noob, and looking for a budget >$100 rep, i'm a bit confused by the movement descriptions in ads. Ive had a look through the stickys and search but i'm stuck.

I'm after a omega speedmaster, so that has 3 subdials, so i wanna know what will do what on my rep. I really want a working chrono, because although i wont pass it off as gen, anyone looking at the watch will wanna play with the buttons, as i will. I've seen it advertised with "japanese quartz" or "asian automatic". I have no preference for either.

I suppose my main questions are :

1, How do the gen dials work? (so i can compare the rep. i guess the "sweep hand" is the stopwatch second hand - resetting at 12 oclock- dunno about the other 3 subdials?)

2, Does the "working chrono" quartz work the same (except for tick instead of sweep)

3, How do the "working subdials" on asian automatics work? (I've seen some on youtube where the subdials seem to move a tenth on each button press (dont know why?)

All advice appreciated (or direction to other threads on this)

Ta.

NFleischer

A rep with quartz will have working chrono- tally min & hours.

A 21 J rep wont- faux chrono, usually days and military time.

A A 7750 also will have a real chron- like the gen. OK?

gmchris
A rep with quartz will have working chrono- tally min & hours.

A 21 J rep wont- faux chrono, usually days and military time.

A A 7750 also will have a real chron- like the gen. OK?

Cheers- will stick to a quartz then- probably more reliable for thw money.

Dunno what military time is anyway (and not likely to join the army at my age :Whistle: )

SeanusMaximus

Speedy is a good choice chris! Best bet is get an email to mary for a quartz one! Most common version (albeit twice your stated budget and with its own flaws) is the lemania/seagull hand wind version with fully functional chronograph (aside from frozen dial at 6, dial at 9 is running seconds, dial at 3 is the chronograph minutes, large second is then for chronograph seconds ;) ) Hope my post and Nfleischers clear things up, if you want to learn a lil about the movements in reps, take a read of this mate.

PS - make sure you post pics when you get one ;)

Foursnow

Late to this thread - but thanks for the advice! I just purchased a quartz Speedy, after initially looking at the 21J and reading the forums. Next up - trying to wait patiently near the mailbox!

cannon_fodder1010

Is a frozen dial one that doesn't move at all or one that only moves through a pusher and thus, for all intents and purposes, is non functional? And if a movement has Chrono functions will it also be possible to support sub dials which don't measure minutes and hours but days and months?

flyr

The dial at 6 on the hand wind model tracks the hours like the main hands. People modify this by disconnecting the gear internally and then fixing the hand to 12. This makes it look more like gen. If you don't time any thing longer than 59 min. the 6 o'clock register wouldn't move anyway.