Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Manhatten

other homage watches

Dr.Manhatten

ok we all know where to get parts for our panerai homages. does anybody know where to get parts for other watches, say someone wanted to build a submariner homage? where would he go for a case? i know ebay has tons of inserts and crystals and crowns for sale. how about a case?

another watch id like to build would be a homage to a fifty fathoms blancpain. i know MK2 and DSN has stuff for these but soo spendy and id prefer to build it myself!

sconehead

Try shooting Militarytime or Getat a pm, I'm sure they'd know where...

greg_r

I don't know whether they sell case sets, but Alpha do quite a few Rollie homages...

http://www.alpha-watch.com/

trailboss99

Since there is no engraving on the case back of most subs any case set would do. Ask Mary, she'll supply whatever you need. A sterile dial may be a bit harder but no harm in asking.

Col.

PatronSaintofChainsaws
ok we all know where to get parts for our panerai homages. does anybody know where to get parts for other watches, say someone wanted to build a submariner homage? where would he go for a case? i know ebay has tons of inserts and crystals and crowns for sale. how about a case?

Cases are a hard one to source by themselves. Your best bet might be to buy a whole cheap Sub and harvest the case and parts, or source rep cases from Eurotimez, Yukiwatch, etc. and just sand off or fill in all the Rolex references. The 1680 case from Eurotimez is a good choice since the outside of the caseback is sterile...the only other branding is inside the lugs and on the inside of the caseback.

There's whole subs with cheapy movements from Manbushijie, as well as all over eBay. For higher-end pieces, check with Exclusive Watches on eBay (the same people that have the $449 Millionsmart tourbillons)...they aren't allowed to list them anymore, but they still carry sterile Submariners and GMT Master IIs with Swiss ETA 2836 movements inside.

Other individual parts are available all over. Seiko-pro on eBay has some sterile parts (bracelets, crowns), MKII carries sterile dials, datewheels, hands, etc.

Hands sets and other things that are usually sterile to begin with are available all over the places, from Yukiwatch to Ofrei to random sellers on eBay.

another watch id like to build would be a homage to a fifty fathoms blancpain. i know MK2 and DSN has stuff for these but soo spendy and id prefer to build it myself!

Precista and International Watchman both have FF homages available, but I don't think that there's enough parts availability to go the self-built route. Either way, DSNs FFs are still cheaper than any sterile FF you can find. DSN could probably sell you individual parts too, but you'd have to debrand them yourself.

I've emailed DSN asking about him making sterile FFs available...try emailing him to suggest this. If he knows that enough of us are interested, he might do something about it.

Member X

Great post ^^^ thanks :(

JohnG
Since there is no engraving on the case back of most subs any case set would do. Ask Mary, she'll supply whatever you need. A sterile dial may be a bit harder but no harm in asking.

Col.

+1

And you can sterilize a dial yourself - I think we are going to have to get used to the idea of having to sterilize dials for custom homages. A hobby airbrush and compressor is all you need.

Dr.Manhatten

realy what ive been looking for is a case that will accept a ETA 2824, and fit after market parts like bezel insert, crown, dial, sapphire crystal. any ideas?

PatronSaintofChainsaws
realy what ive been looking for is a case that will accept a ETA 2824, and fit after market parts like bezel insert, crown, dial, sapphire crystal. any ideas?

You wont find one specifically set up for a 2824...the only Sub cases I know of designed with the 2824 specifically in mind are the OWC MilSubs, and he had to have them made custom.

Just find one that takes a 2836 and be done with it. The MBK 1680 previously mentioned is a good candidate (I myself am using an MBW/MBK 1680 case for a sterile build currently).

AustinTech

Col.

+1

And you can sterilize a dial yourself - I think we are going to have to get used to the idea of having to sterilize dials for custom homages. A hobby airbrush and compressor is all you need.

I think the difficulty is going to be getting the color of the paint to match the color of the dial. Not so easy!

PatronSaintofChainsaws

Col.

+1

I think the difficulty is going to be getting the color of the paint to match the color of the dial. Not so easy!

Rebasing and having the dials reprinted could happen.

I've experimented with using rubbing alcohol to remove text off of dials. For glossy-based dials, you can remove almost every trace of the original lettering (depending on the dial of course). For matte dials, you'll end up eating into the basecoat a bit, changing the texture. I picked up some spray gloss clear-coating and matte clear-coating last night, and I'm going to be experimenting with "fixing" the visible damage to the basecoast by giving the whole dial a clear-coasting on top this weekend.

Here's I dial I sterilized a couple of days ago, using 91% rubbing alcohol to remove the lettering.

Picture-1.jpg

AustinTech

Good stuff, PSOC!

I'm sure you will let us know how your experiments go.

JohnG

Col.

+1

No, you just paint the whole dial - TOTAL STERILITY BABY! NO NAME, NO NUMERALS, NO INDICIES, NO NOTHING!!!

PURE STERILITY BABY!!!!!!!!

pinkdolphin
I don't know whether they sell case sets, but Alpha do quite a few Rollie homages...

http://www.alpha-watch.com/

I wish I'd known about that site before - would have got a homage daytona or explorer.

Are they actually water resistant, or are they "rep water resistant" (ie don't bet on it)? Also descriptions don't specify if they're mineral or sapphire...

greg_r

My guess is that they're standard repfactory fare with customised dials, so don't bank on 'em being water resistant. Crystals are likely to be mineral glass in most instances.

For what it's worth, Alpha have been around for quite a while and have a reasonable reputation on the gen boards, but don't expect the earth - they're no better than the average rep at the same kinda price