Sign in to follow this  
ThePayola

Need a crown and stem for a Rolex Explorer 39mm

ThePayola

A couple months ago, I purchased a Rolex Explorer (the 39mm model) with an ETA2836 movement. I was provided QC images, but unfortunately missed the fact that the watch was built with an incorrect crown - and accept responsibility for my oversight. The crown on my watch has incorrect markings and while it's hard to tell in the picture, it's smaller in diameter than the correct crown. Here are some pictures to illustrate my point...

Here is what the crown is supposed to look like:

BFrth.jpg

And here is what mine looks like:

X7Ljs.jpg

The watch runs fine, and I am able to adjust the time, but unfortunately I am unable to wind it. It feels like the crown & stem aren't "catching" when it is in the winding position.

Sending the watch back to the vendor for repair is going to take too long, so I would like to replace the crown & stem myself. Unfortunately I have been unable to convince the vendor to send me the correct parts even after exchanging repeated emails.

My question is this: Where I can get the correct replacement crown & stem for this model and movement? I'm relatively new to the replica world, and would appreciate some advice as to whom I could contact to get the part I need. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by ThePayola

Member X

I hear what you're saying...

... but I think you worry too much ;)

There are much bigger tells on the Explorer reps, and if someone has super-zoom eyes to the extent they can tell whether the crown has two dots or a line, or is a little bit small, they will already have spotted the lack of lume, the over-size and not quite perfect rehaut engraving, the slightly-too-white crystal gasket, and the glossiness of the dial that should actually be super-matte.

Don't sweat the details like this. If it really is important you don't get 'caught out' wearing a rep, I can only recommend not wearing a rep. There are always tells, and although 99.99% of the population have zero clue as to what to look for, on the very odd occasion you will meet a WIS and your cover will be blown.

You are of course free to spend whatever you want, however you want, but if you're constantly worried about getting called out and are spending $200 or something similar on something as small as a gen crown and tube plus fitting, I think you will lose the enjoyment of reps.

Relax, just enjoy them as fun toys! :lmao2:

With regards to the inability to handwind, you really shouldn't need to anyway - just place it face down in the palm of your hand, swirl it anticlockwise till it starts, then strap it on and away you go! Alternatively, purchase a cheap watch winder and run it while you sleep, then it will be fully charged for the day :)

ThePayola

I appreciate the thoughtful (albeit long) reply...but unfortunately it doesn't address my concern. You're right that most people would never notice the difference, and the cosmetic difference really isn't a chief concern. It was just the easiest way for me to visually demonstrate the difference.

I'm not going to spend $200 for a genuine part, but I have to believe that a replica vendor out there would be willing to sell a crown and stem for a reasonable price. I have a rotation of 4 watches with automatic movements, so being able to wind them comes in handy, especially when a few of them have been sitting for awhile. I have considered buying a winder, but

I was hoping someone would know of a vendor (perhaps a RWG Trusted Dealer) that sells replacement parts. Anyone?

offshore

Are you sure the movement is a gen ETA?

This can make a big difference on the stem required.

As to the "not catching", that is to do with the adjustment of the stem/crown length (unless the watch has other issues)

Once you qualify these things, give us a diameter of the crown, and maybe someone can dredge something up.

Or go back to your supplier and ask them for replacements.

Offshore

Member X
I appreciate the thoughtful (albeit long) reply...but unfortunately it doesn't address my concern. You're right that most people would never notice the difference, and the cosmetic difference really isn't a chief concern. It was just the easiest way for me to visually demonstrate the difference.

I'm not going to spend $200 for a genuine part, but I have to believe that a replica vendor out there would be willing to sell a crown and stem for a reasonable price. I have a rotation of 4 watches with automatic movements, so being able to wind them comes in handy, especially when a few of them have been sitting for awhile. I have considered buying a winder, but

I was hoping someone would know of a vendor (perhaps a RWG Trusted Dealer) that sells replacement parts. Anyone?

That's not a long response! :lmao2: lol

As per offshore, you will just have to keep asking around and putting WTB adverts up. I'm sure such a crown exists, but it will be a mission to change it because you may have to drill out the existing tube to fit the new one.

I still don't see why you need to wind them though :D Change the time/date, give it a swirl to start it up, strap it on and wear it. Unless it's in dire need of a service or you're sitting still in meetings all day, you shouldn't need to handwind it to keep it going!

IMHO, of course :D:)