Sign in to follow this  
chinabee

What's so special about Patek Philippe?

chinabee

Could somebody explain to me why PP is so special that its watch would cost $20K as a start? I can't seem to grasp that. :-( I understand the gold value but besides that?

Edited by chinabee

twall
Could somebody explain to me why PP is so special that its watch would cost $20K as a start? I can't seem to grasp that. :-(

Why does a Rolex, a PAM, an AP, or an Invicta cost so much?

....BECAUSE THERE ARE SUCKERS WHO WILL PAY THAT MUCH.

:dingleberry-nemesis:

RS9
Could somebody explain to me why PP is so special that its watch would cost $20K as a start? I can't seem to grasp that. :-(

Why are high end hookers as expensive as they are?

They're exclusive, beautiful, and work like they're supposed to :dingleberry-nemesis:

Luthier

Toyota will bring you from Point A to Point B same way Ferrari will do.

Toyota cost $20,000, Ferrari cost $200,000.

You pay for name, prestige, image and perfection.

PP is the brand of super luxury.

chinabee

Well, Ferrari at least has the style and some design there although it spends more time in the garage than on the road. What does PP have?

jeffw69

Patek Philippe employs over 200 craftsmen, including jewelers, goldsmiths, enamellers, and engravers, to assemble the myriad components of each watch by hand – it can take between 1200 to 1500 individual steps to assemble a single movement’s components. No step is outsourced. Each watch undergoes at least 600 hours of quality control checks, and 30 days of observation and rigorous examination. A self-winding watch will run as many as 1,200 hours before leaving the workshop. The company does not skimp on research and development either. It can take three to five years to develop a new model, depending on the number of complications. The Caliber 89, with its 33 complications, was in development for nine years!

Google baby!!!

twall

Why are high end hookers as expensive as they are?

They're exclusive, beautiful, and work like they're supposed to :dingleberry-nemesis:

....and some sucker will give them whatever they ask for payment, with the illusion that the lay is any better. :dingleberry-nemesis:

Nevermind that it all is warm, wet, and smells like the lake Erie shoreline on a hot August day.

Luth is right - it's all about the image, and exclucivity. PP? It's just the icon of choice for some. Rolex is for others, AP for others still, then there is PAM.......No explaination needed. Up to the buyer's tastes (or, lack thereof - possibly).

JohnG

Meh, they are overrated. They cost as much as they do because there are people who want to purchase at that price point - it is called "conspicuous consumption." They are not one bit better than watches costing half as much.

It is a fact of marketing that with luxury goods, if you place your price too low you will sell LESS volume. The psychological association between price and quality is very strong with luxury goods and with many items, marking your price up will actually increase your volume as well.

The crazy thing is that most of them are rather ugly and/or unoriginal. For what you pay for a PP there are truly groundbreaking watches out there.

chinabee

Getting laid? If I wear a PP, 99% of people I meet would have no freaking clue what that is. Even when they see a Rolex, they would think it may cost ... $800? :-)

JohnG
Getting laid? If I wear a PP, 99% of people I meet would have no freaking clue what that is. Even when they see a Rolex, they would think it may cost ... $800? :-)

Yeah, the power of watches to get you laid is highly overrated, especially on watch forums.

If getting laid is your objective, better just to spend the cash on some blow and a VIP table at some club where Russian chicks hang out.

Luthier

Depend, where do you live. Try to wear PP in Hollywood.

:dingleberry-nemesis:

Luthier

Well, Ferrari at least has the style and some design there although it spends more time in the garage than on the road. What does PP have?

Patek Philippe employs over 200 craftsmen, including jewelers, goldsmiths, enamellers, and engravers, to assemble the myriad components of each watch by hand – it can take between 1200 to 1500 individual steps to assemble a single movement’s components. No step is outsourced. Each watch undergoes at least 600 hours of quality control checks, and 30 days of observation and rigorous examination. A self-winding watch will run as many as 1,200 hours before leaving the workshop. The company does not skimp on research and development either. It can take three to five years to develop a new model, depending on the number of complications. The Caliber 89, with its 33 complications, was in development for nine years!

That's what they have.

Everything!

vonlimmel

Funny thing is that a $20K PP is actually a bargain if you truly want that brand. Some models are listed over $1M and I believe classic PPs have sold for over $5M at auctions.

myaz

Google baby!!!

and they keep time nearly as good as a Casio F-91W.

watch.aholic

I too always wondered what the fuss was all about Patek Philippe....Well, it seems they are just an aspirational brand.....I don't quite like any of their watches nor do I understand the technical superiority of their movements....I'd say PP is for people who are heavily loaded and want to flaunt.

wat44

they make fantastic bloody watches - end of

prestigewatchco

Always amazes me how the silly people who are clever enough to get enough money to buy a Patek are stupid to buy one

And it takes a replica watch forum to dictate the true value of them

Is it possible do you think that the 1000's of rich people that buy them know as much or more than the rep community?

watch.aholic
Always amazes me how the silly people who are clever enough to get enough money to buy a Patek are stupid to buy one

Robert that is such a well articulated statement.

narikaa

Same equation different strata

Entry level wannabees on the fiscal ladder clamour for a Rolex to impress their subordinates

A couple of rungs up the same mentality requires a Patek

(In either case knowledge of any aspect of the product other than image and cost is superfluous)

Member X

Entry level wannabees on the fiscal ladder clamour for a Rolex to impress their subordinates

(In either case knowledge of any aspect of the product other than image and cost is superfluous)

I bow to Reg's ability to cut to the chase! lol

myaz

I bow to Reg's ability to cut to the chase! lol

+1. So well put in just a few words......And I just got a Patek.....rep.

jdoe
Could somebody explain to me why PP is so special that its watch ...

Not much, now Breguet on the other hand ....

(PS. There's also the VCs, Langes and the JLCs)

Edited by jdoe

Wiz

What's so special about Rolls Royce...? :picard:

Baldrick

If you have to ask, you can't ( and never will) afford one :)

Tempus
If you have to ask, you can't ( and never will) afford one :lol:

+ 1