Sign in to follow this  
Farminho

Help please? Minor scratch to glass :(

Farminho

Morning all,

I've just strapped on Today's PAM and there's a minor scratch on the glass, probably slightly less than 1cm long. Not the end of the world, but it's right in the middle of the face.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks guys!

F

gottahaverolex

You can try a cape cod lightly on the crystal. Ive had some success this way in the past. Be very light though because of its mineral and not real sapphire it will scratch even more. What model and maker?

Farminho
You can try a cape cod lightly on the crystal. Ive had some success this way in the past. Be very light though because of its mineral and not real sapphire it will scratch even more. What model and maker?

Cheers mate, it's a 312 from Robert...only a $99 model though so as I say, not the end of the world but if there's an easy fix I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks for the reply!

greg_r

First thing is to work out whether it's mineral crystal, plexi or sapphire, as best methods vary dependent on the material involved.

Balad1

Recently I had a Pam with a mineral glass crystal and 3/4" scratch on it. It was a pretty deep scratch that I could feel while running my finger nail over.

I tried the Cape Cod cloth and it didn't help at all. After that I used my bench grinder/buffer with 8" felt wheel and red rouge compound on it. I buffed the shit out of it and was able to remove most of the scratch.

The scratch is now barely noticeable and I'm satisfied.

PS: I think the Cap Cod cloth would work on scuffs but not scratches.

andygt

toothpaste and a cotton bud

fe22ari

I've got a tiny scuff/scratch on my Milgauss too. It has green AR. Any suggestions?

Farminho

Greg - thanks will have to try and find the original listing :thumbsup2: I'd guess it's mineral?

Balad - that's helpful thanks, gives me hope that cape cod might work, can't feel this one when I run my fingernail across it!

Many thanks all, much appreciated!

Nisv
toothpaste and a cotton bud

Thank you, duly noted :thumbsup2:

WebWind

I tried to remover deep scratch on my Chopard mineral crystal with diamond paste. Almost impossible to remove it by hand.

Takken

I think if you go for the bench grinder solution it's important to cool down the glass, or it will crack in two.

MikeMcNair

GLASS HEADLIGHT repair kit from auto store will do it if sapphire, ive done it many times.

also, if mineral or acrylic, the PLASTIC HEADLIGHT repair kit from auto stores will work SUPER easily.

and a dremmel is good too. i have used it on gen Rolex crystals, works perfect.

Tempus

Novus polish grade #3, #2 and #1 works too - #3 for heavy scratches (and if not too deep can work on glass too) Novus polish is also excellent for polishing a ton of other stuff too and its brilliant for repairing DVD's CD's as well

greg_r

Toothpaste is good for plexi, but I'm guessing your watch is mineral glass. If the scratch is very minor, toothpaste + cotton bud as suggested by andy might improve things a bit, but don't expect too much. Mike McNair and Tempus's suggestions are good too - especially if the scratch is more serious.