Sign in to follow this  
Dendo

Fixing watch hands

Dendo

Maybe I am missing an epic tutorial somewhere but would one of you experts do a pic heavy tutorial on removing and replacing hands.

Also tell me if we are able to just physically move minute or second hands on chronos that do not reset. I know you can adjust reset positions on quartz watches but can you just nudge automatics' hands??

Dendo

Bump

admiralsas

Glad you asked this, for I need to fix my Breitling Navitimer :)

10:10 Watch Repair
Maybe I am missing an epic tutorial somewhere but would one of you experts do a pic heavy tutorial on removing and replacing hands.

Also tell me if we are able to just physically move minute or second hands on chronos that do not reset. I know you can adjust reset positions on quartz watches but can you just nudge automatics' hands??

Don't know that I have seen a tutorial.

Pretty simple with a couple of tips:

Set the watch to 12 before removing hands

Use 5x mag

Get a hand setting tool with the right size openings for your watch, i.e. a pocket watch movement like Panerai needs a different tool than a Rolex does.

Use rodico on the end of pegwood to place the hands. Tweezers tend to scratch them or the dial.

Place the hands lightly and before pressing down too much, adjust the hands to perfect 12 with the hand setting tool. Could also be called nudging.

Look at the hands from all angles and rotate the hands while viewing 5x for a full 24hr rotation before re-casing

Make sure the DW clicks over at 12 before re-casing.

It's easy to press the hands parallel to the dial with the hand setting tool. Make sure the hour hand is set and parallel and as low as possible without touching the dial or a marker before moving on to the minute hand.

If you're really fancy get a good hand setting press.

If you're really really fancy (and have money to burn) get an automatic hand setting press like some of the factories use. They do three hands at a time.

If you're ghetto use a bic pen cap

trailboss99
can you just nudge automatics' hands??

No Dendo, don't just shove them around, you need to remove them and reseat at the correct place. Just shoving on them puts a lot of force on the MVT.

Dendo

Thanks for the replies cls and TB

MikeMcNair

Don't know that I have seen a tutorial.

Pretty simple with a couple of tips:

Set the watch to 12 before removing hands

Use 5x mag

Get a hand setting tool with the right size openings for your watch, i.e. a pocket watch movement like Panerai needs a different tool than a Rolex does.

Use rodico on the end of pegwood to place the hands. Tweezers tend to scratch them or the dial.

Place the hands lightly and before pressing down too much, adjust the hands to perfect 12 with the hand setting tool. Could also be called nudging.

Look at the hands from all angles and rotate the hands while viewing 5x for a full 24hr rotation before re-casing

Make sure the DW clicks over at 12 before re-casing.

It's easy to press the hands parallel to the dial with the hand setting tool. Make sure the hour hand is set and parallel and as low as possible without touching the dial or a marker before moving on to the minute hand.

If you're really fancy get a good hand setting press.

If you're really really fancy (and have money to burn) get an automatic hand setting press like some of the factories use. They do three hands at a time.

If you're ghetto use a bic pen cap

VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!! but according to you i am "really REALLY ghetto" lol, whil i do have the tools, i find a pen very handy since its soft plastic.

VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!! but according to you i am "really REALLY ghetto" lol, whil i do have the tools, i find a pen very handy since its soft plastic.

If you have never spent the $10 on a hand setting tool,

I think there is no avoiding the really ghetto tag.

but then, I work at the kitchen table, have a $15 ultrasonic cleaner (with tea baskets for parts,) and keep my watch tools in a cardboard box.

MikeMcNair

dude, i have 4 hand setting tools lol.

but i still like my BIC. :yoda:

i've spent as much on tools in the last 6 months as you have likely spent on watches in the past yer :woo:

i've spent as much on tools in the last 6 months as you have likely spent on watches in the past yer :)

I would take that bet.

turnipz

I've been using tape to get the hands in place, very little touch is needed and comes off easy when in place.

MikeMcNair
I've been using tape to get the hands in place, very little touch is needed and comes off easy when in place.

POST-IT notes work well too :)

and CIS, yer betting in the wrong arena my friend. :(

and CIS, yer betting in the wrong arena my friend. :(

You have no idea... :)

MikeMcNair
and CIS, yer betting in the wrong arena my friend. ;)

You have no idea... :)

Apparently we both have no idea ;)