Movement.jpg

agntkerr

swiss 2836-2 the stamp below the fly wheel

Luthier

This is gen. Compare.

010-12.jpg

tah
swiss 2836-2 the stamp below the fly wheel

My concern is this: the engraving/stamping of the movement number isn't as crisp as usually seen on gens.

Also the rotor says Rolex 25 Jewel. I don't think you usualy see that on a real ETA, but what do I know?

tah

Here's the complete movement if it helps anybody give me a definate answer.

Dont know if it makes a difference or not but the spacer is plastic....

Movement2.jpg

10:10 Watch Repair

It's asian.

Novodiac.

Also the rotor says Rolex 25 Jewel. I don't think you usualy see that on a real ETA, but what do I know?

Peel off the Rolex stamped overlay.

prestigewatchco

Dismantle it and maybe we can tell you otherwise it will only be people guessing and quoting wives tales about tells

Dismantle it and maybe we can tell you otherwise it will only be people guessing and quoting wives tales about tells

seriously?

prestigewatchco

Yes current Asian clones are so good you need to get them apart to tell. All this about incabloc and holes is gears is nonsense

Yes current Asian clones are so good you need to get them apart to tell. All this about incabloc and holes is gears is nonsense

Yes, but this sure doesn't look like a "so good" clone. As far as I have ever seen ETA Novodiac spring goes in an assembly with three notches.

prestigewatchco

Ok you obviously know more than me so I will finish now

tah

The general opinion seems to be this is a clone.

I took the back off two other watches to compare.

My BK Ceramic Sub sure makes this movement look like $h17, Gen 2836-2.

I have a Trusty Time DJII with Asian Clone and they did a whole lot better job of stamping the numbers but the balance wheel jewel keeper is almost a perfect triangle. No attempt at making it look like three little u's or v's at all.

Edited by tah

NFleischer

Probably clone, but Robert's right too. The clones are SAID to have only 1 cut out in the jewel seat vs.

3 for the gens.

tah

Here's the dealer's response,

I have confirm with my factory ,my factory said that is a real swiss ETA movement ,but it is a modified swiss ETA movement .

If you have any question ,you can take it to watch repairer to test it .

And if you still unsatisfied ,can reture back to us ,i will offer the movement which let you satisfied

FWIW: This is in a $250+ watch. NOT a cheapie!

Edited by tah

Here's the dealer's response,

I have confirm with my factory ,my factory said that is a real swiss ETA movement ,but it is a modified swiss ETA movement .

If you have any question ,you can take it to watch repairer to test it .

And if you still unsatisfied ,can reture back to us ,i will offer the movement which let you satisfied

FWIW: This is in a $250+ watch. NOT a cheapie!

A Swiss ETA 2836 is more than $150 at a supply house right now, and going up. Hard to imagine that's what's in your watch.

tah

Well the dealer is being more than fair with me. They NEVER dodged emails or gave me a hard time in the least.

I don't really blame them. I feel they were told by the factory the unit had a real ETA in it and they stated they open about 20% of the units to check. Further stated they don't want to open them all for fear of scratching cases. Sounds reasonable.

So I proposed a $50 credit on my next watch from them and they accepted. This is the difference on their website between clone and ETA listed units. I would have chosen clone in this watch had it been available, but it wasn't.

Now I just wish the new Explorer II was a better rep since that's the one I'd really like to have next...........

Luthier

Clone.

RS9

Well the dealer is being more than fair with me. They NEVER dodged emails or gave me a hard time in the least.

I don't really blame them. I feel they were told by the factory the unit had a real ETA in it and they stated they open about 20% of the units to check. Further stated they don't want to open them all for fear of scratching cases. Sounds reasonable.

So I proposed a $50 credit on my next watch from them and they accepted. This is the difference on their website between clone and ETA listed units. I would have chosen clone in this watch had it been available, but it wasn't.

Now I just wish the new Explorer II was a better rep since that's the one I'd really like to have next...........

That sounds like a fair resolution to me. Ideally it would have been Swiss but such is the order of the game.

Gazillionaire

I think it's the inside of a watch, could be wrong but yes I think it is :Praying:

rsh

This is a clone movement.

tah

Well I found a vintage GMT on Timeshop's site and "tried" to pay for it twice. Their payment portal BLOWS!

They weren't the original TD where I got the watch being discussed in this thread....so I thought whay not go back to these folks, see if they can get the same watch and use my $50 credit.

So I sent them a link to the TS watch. Got two emails back within a minute of each other quoting $218, then $268. The $268 is EXACTLY the price TS has on their site so that sounds right to me.

First the dealer says the link I sent them doesn't work for them. Little hard to believe since it works for me (the one INSIDE my sent mail folder).

Then I bring up my $50 credit. So they email me back that they were confused, made a mistake...blah, blah, blah....

Now they somehow know EXACTLY the watch I'm talking about and have two versions. One is $268 and the other is $328. WTF? Exactly $50 higher and the VERY SAME amount as my credit.

The watch on TS is listed as ETA, 316L, Sapphire....etc.......don't know how you get better?

So now I've emailed them back asking what the differences are between ther $328 model and TS's $268 model. Anyone else find this fishy?

Here's the link to the TS watch, this is the same link I sent in my initial contact with the TD I'm not exposing (yet): http://www.timeshops.net/8157-ro4560-rolex-gmt-master-black-dial-ss-ss-swiss-eta-2836-2.html

fatarms

328 - 268 = 60

tah

328 - 268 = 60

You're right. The ass raping is getting worse!