Sign in to follow this  
fightfear

No longoer a rep virgin

fightfear

I wanted to buy a TAG Grand Carrera Calibre 17 with a 7750 movement but first I thought I'll buy my wife a nice Yellow gold Cartier Santos for X-mas. I couldn't help using this as an excuse to get a yellow gold Cartier Ballon Extra Large for myself so it matches my wife's watch and stuff... ahemm you know... (cough, cough) it just didn't seem right to wear my old battered Seiko anymore when she has a Cartier.

In the meantime I've read that those with 7750 require maintenance and they could go wrong etc. Unfortunately it means that Tag is not for me - I'll get a quartz version - no hustle is much more important for me than a glass back thingy. It also means I can get another two reps instead hehe...

anyway

I just received both Cartiers from Mary and they are soooo coool!

I can't get photobucket to finish uploading images so I'll try with imageshack

cart2.jpg

cart1x.jpg

I can't post pictures of the other one as my wife is at home and I didn't tell her yet that I've bought one for her as well - she thinks I only bought one for myself. I will get it out from the drawer when she's not around not to ruin the x-mas surprise and I'll post a pic then.

I already want a next one - I have one or two in mind (ok it's 8 actually)

Edited by fightfear

Member X

Great start :popcorn: And you've made a wise move by keeping the missus sweet so early on :popcorn: :popcorn:

dator
Great start :popcorn: And you've made a wise move by keeping the missus sweet so early on :popcorn: :popcorn:

Very nice. Thanks for the pics

fightfear

The only problem with that watch is that I can't really take it to work as people wouldn't believe that I've bought £28k watch. Now this isn't such a bad thing because of course it means I need to buy another one :lol:

Not that I care what they think about me at work but I don't want to be a subject of jokes on lunch brakes and stuff. They all have their gen Rolex's and there's a few Tag's too so I need to get something that normally cost <£5k. I really like that Cartier and since Tag 17 is a bit to big to fit under my shirt's sleeve I think I'll get a smaller Ballon Bleu Two Timezone in 'silver' - it is really nice and does not draw much attention due to its size. Also it does not seem to have a second hand which could (in the quartz version) giveaway that it's not a gen. Perfect! I need to wait till after X-mas after my wife gets hers so that there's no troubles from her.

I'll get my Tag(s) later

Del

Congrats - looks really nice! :lol:

Seems a pity you can't wear it to work in case your colleagues challenge you on the cost of it. Could be fun winding them up though?! (Excuse the pun! :Whistle: )

Luthier
The only problem with that watch is that I can't really take it to work as people wouldn't believe that I've bought £28k watch.

Tell 'em it's the gift from your secret mistress, former Miss Universe.

:lol:

fightfear

Here's the other one

cart3.jpg

cart4c.jpg

I had a chance to inspect it today and quickly get a couple of shots as wife was away.

Unfortunately as you can see the dial is off - not aligned with the case ('twisted' clockwise). It's visible as soon as you look at it - you don't have to get really close or anything. I am not happy with that - what do I do? If I write to Mary asking for a replacement do you think there's a chance I can get one?

Not a good start ;)

Edited by fightfear

fightfear

looking at the picture closely it appears that it's not the dial that's 'twisted' but the case is far from having straight lines and the printing on the dial is misaligned.

cartbad3.jpg

Edited by fightfear

myaz

That didn't show up in QC's?

fightfear

Now just to be clear I did not expect it to be perfect but this is quite bad

here's a QC picture I've received from Mary - it is clearly a different watch. Not nice!

49931062.jpg

Edited by fightfear

myaz

My thought would be that the dial shifted in shipping and that would be a simple fix to pop off the back, realign the dial and tighten retaining screws.

fletch1971

The dial in the QC pic is not straight either.

Member X
My thought would be that the dial shifted in shipping and that would be a simple fix to pop off the back, realign the dial and tighten retaining screws.

I would write to Mary with your pictures and ask what she recommends, and if you would be ok to try fixing it yourself. She may suggest shipping it back because the factory may not take it back later if it's been played with. Or she may say it was the best she could find, you just don't know!

I hope you can get it sorted.

honeybear

How did it turn out? That's the best the factory can do doesn't sound like an acceptable answer to me, and I would demand a replacement either with a fixed dial, or a different watch altogether.