Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Panerai PAM 382

greg_r

Ever since Panerai announced the 382, I've wanted one - it has become very much the 'grail watch' for me. It's a 47mm sub and is based on the 305, which I've also liked ever since it was released, but with a solid bronze case and green dial.

Here's the gen for the record...

pam382-gen.jpeg

There have been rumours of a new rep 305 (the old one was just a cheapie) AND a rep of the 382 for some time, so when Josh suddenly listed a 382 I got more than a little excited. Then I took a closer look and the excitement faded somewhat, as it was obvious this was not going to be the high-end bronze-cased rep I was hoping for.

However, the price was reasonable-ish ($178) so out of sheer curiosity I decided to pick one up. I ordered it from Josh last Thursday and it arrived in his usual speedy manner yesterday morning.

Now I have it on my wrist, I'll admit it's a watch I have mixed feelings about. It's nothing like as good as I want it to be, but on the other hand it's better than I expected from the photos and description on Josh's site.

Let's start off with the bad stuff:

Firstly, it's not bronze, it's gold-plated. Let's make no bones about it, this means it's not really a rep of the 382, it's a fantasy - a gold-plated 305. The plating has a warm-ish tone about it, not quite being rose gold, but not yellow gold either. It has an almost copper-ish tone to it. It's not unattractive, but obviously it's not going to develop that distinctive patina seen on the gen.

Next, the date aperture on the dial is a little too small and the date font is too thin, making the date difficult to read (at least for these old eyes).

Thirdly, despite Josh saying 'very good lume) the lume is really only of the usual rep standard - stronger on the hands and pearl, but still not good even there. There's also no AR.

The good:

The case feels very well made. The bezel is tight with a very positive click to it when turned. The CG is the correct type with roller bearing lever and is nice and tight with an accurately flushed CG pin. The watch is powered by the ever-reliable Sea-Gull 25J movement which has been customised with a Panerai-style cut-out rotor.

The green dial is nicely done. It has a very slight texture to it, which makes it 'pop' and combined with the gold case it certainly looks distinctive.

The strap is excellent - one of the best rep straps I've ever seen. It's cracked leather, looks very much like the gen strap and is unusually long - to the point that if your wrist is much smaller than mine (a little over 7.5"), you're probably going to have to punch another hole or two in the strap. I certainly won't be needing to change the strap this time, which makes a pleasant change from the norm. The buckle is the usual Panerai fare, but gold-plated to match the watch.

There are rumours of a proper bronze rep of the 382 coming next year, and if it appears I will most definitely be buying one. However, in the meantime I can see myself enjoying wearing this periodically. To me it's in a similar league to my fantasy rose-gold radiomir chrono. It's not much like the gen it purports to be, but it's an attractive watch and is a vastly better watch than the low-end 305 rep that was around 6-12 months ago. I'm enjoying it more than I expected to.

Anyhow - enough blather. Here's some pics:

pam382.JPG

pam382-1.JPG

pam382-3.JPG

pam382-4.JPG

pam382-2.JPG

Akira

Looking pretty good. :lol:

solkryssare

Nice review mate.

KinCaidk

nice, congrats G..

Thanks for sharing

wat44

looking good for v1!

Del

That looks very nice, and distinctive too. The green dial looks like it has a YachtMaster-like sparkle to it in the last photo especially!

I'm sure you will enjoy wearing this until the full bronze version appears - you're getting closer to it! ;)

spboudart

Definitely look really nice for the price. Enjoy.

houndoggie

Nice. Rub some wood stain on it for instant patina.

Aren

Congratulations Greg.

It looks very nice and I appreciate the informative review.

I have been waiting for the rep of the 382 since Baldrick posted about the gen,

long before it was released last August.

It's great that you are willing to experiment and thank you for the thorough review.

The 382 is a gorgeous watch IMO.

This is not a rep I will aspire to, especially due to what it's weight will ultimately be,

but it certainly is stunning.

Your rep looks nice and as usual your photos are great even if you feel the rep has some drawbacks.

Enjoy your new watch. I will look for it in the wrist check...

In fact...how 'bout a wristie? :)

Love the strap.

I think there is no doubt that this rep will be improved over time, and

reviews like yours will help in that process.

Thanks for sharing.

:)

jeffw69

Looks nice Greg, thanks for taking the plunge.

Enjoy.

SeanusMaximus

You know... I actually dont mind that....would rather hold out for part deux though...nicely done Greg :)

jstone

If you are considering this watch, remember that the face (at least my sample) is verrrrrry bright and sparkly, depending on lighting. That makes it too playful and even whimsical to me to wear. However, the rest of the watch (despite being a poor imitation of the Bronzo) is quite nice and enjoyable to behold. Me -- I sold it to my watchmaker / repair pro, for my cost. I have purchased a cheaper, black-faced similar 47mm seen at a couple of dealers (with different movements and a cyclops) simply because I would enjoy it more. The strap with those lesser units is nothing special, so I'm missing out on that. Mixed feelings. I do hope a good Bronzo (brass colored, really) comes out next year.

Here is the bright green face of the $178 "goldo" that is the subject of this thread, under normal fluorescent office lighting (very obvious under sunlight too, any direct light).

goldo2.jpg

Edited by Jim S.

greg_r

Interesting - mine isn't as bright as that. I wouldn't wear it if it was.

Hoping for a better rep of this next year...

gB.

How's this one treating you Greg...?

:Whistle:

greg_r

I wear it occasionally - it's a nice enough watch and I've had quite a few admiring comments on it, actually. It isn't a 382, though - still waiting for a proper one :)

g.man

Can't be arsed ripping the pics and starting a new thread, but Josh has the new titanium 305 up on his site now.

looks nice too

g.man

greg_r

Yup - he's been listing it for a couple of weeks. Hoping that means a bronze 382 isn't too far behind :Praying:

JohnPilot

Ever since Panerai announced the 382, I've wanted one - it has become very much the 'grail watch' for me. It's a 47mm sub and is based on the 305, which I've also liked ever since it was released, but with a solid bronze case and green dial.

Here's the gen for the record...

pam382-gen.jpeg

There have been rumours of a new rep 305 (the old one was just a cheapie) AND a rep of the 382 for some time, so when Josh suddenly listed a 382 I got more than a little excited. Then I took a closer look and the excitement faded somewhat, as it was obvious this was not going to be the high-end bronze-cased rep I was hoping for.

However, the price was reasonable-ish ($178) so out of sheer curiosity I decided to pick one up. I ordered it from Josh last Thursday and it arrived in his usual speedy manner yesterday morning.

Now I have it on my wrist, I'll admit it's a watch I have mixed feelings about. It's nothing like as good as I want it to be, but on the other hand it's better than I expected from the photos and description on Josh's site.

Let's start off with the bad stuff:

Firstly, it's not bronze, it's gold-plated. Let's make no bones about it, this means it's not really a rep of the 382, it's a fantasy - a gold-plated 305. The plating has a warm-ish tone about it, not quite being rose gold, but not yellow gold either. It has an almost copper-ish tone to it. It's not unattractive, but obviously it's not going to develop that distinctive patina seen on the gen.

Next, the date aperture on the dial is a little too small and the date font is too thin, making the date difficult to read (at least for these old eyes).

Thirdly, despite Josh saying 'very good lume) the lume is really only of the usual rep standard - stronger on the hands and pearl, but still not good even there. There's also no AR.

The good:

The case feels very well made. The bezel is tight with a very positive click to it when turned. The CG is the correct type with roller bearing lever and is nice and tight with an accurately flushed CG pin. The watch is powered by the ever-reliable Sea-Gull 25J movement which has been customised with a Panerai-style cut-out rotor.

The green dial is nicely done. It has a very slight texture to it, which makes it 'pop' and combined with the gold case it certainly looks distinctive.

The strap is excellent - one of the best rep straps I've ever seen. It's cracked leather, looks very much like the gen strap and is unusually long - to the point that if your wrist is much smaller than mine (a little over 7.5"), you're probably going to have to punch another hole or two in the strap. I certainly won't be needing to change the strap this time, which makes a pleasant change from the norm. The buckle is the usual Panerai fare, but gold-plated to match the watch.

There are rumours of a proper bronze rep of the 382 coming next year, and if it appears I will most definitely be buying one. However, in the meantime I can see myself enjoying wearing this periodically. To me it's in a similar league to my fantasy rose-gold radiomir chrono. It's not much like the gen it purports to be, but it's an attractive watch and is a vastly better watch than the low-end 305 rep that was around 6-12 months ago. I'm enjoying it more than I expected to.

Anyhow - enough blather. Here's some pics:

pam382.JPG

pam382-1.JPG

pam382-3.JPG

pam382-4.JPG

pam382-2.JPG

Hi Greg,

I did read your report because I ordered one yesterday.

Do you still enjoy it.

Where can I find more about the movement?

Cheers

John

kasper618

Any outdoor pics of this rep? Thanks!

JohnPilot

Any info about movement. Got my QCpics today.

Del

I just watched the Expendables 2 on blu ray - now I want one of these fantasy 382s! :lol:

(Great action movie btw! :gunbandana: )

SILCD1393_TheExpendables2.jpg

Del

That is very similar to the 382 Ted! (Bit cheaper though!)

kasper618

Wonder what the chances this is from the same factory as the rep you all received? Is the color that deep? In the pictures it doesn't look like it, but flash can change things. I really want to take the plunge and get one of these. I just would like to see a few more shots. Thanks!

I don't know who these dealers are in this vid, I'm just using it as a visual comparision. I would be ordering from Trusty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0MIK0caCOE

Edited by kasper618

projectologist

Got to play with the gen awhile back with 6 months worth of patina... and took some pics...

bronzo03.jpg

bronzo02.jpg

bronzo01.jpg