Sign in to follow this  
Member X

My luck has run out... grim reaper has collected my H-Factory movement :-(

Member X

Dammit, it was doing so well...

My H-Factory 177Mv2 seems to have just stopped working! Wound it this morning and... nothing... nada... not even a movement of the balance wheel to give me any hope... :(

Several slaps of the watch into the palm of my hand and still nothing!

I will have to get the back off later and see if I can tweak it a bit. I'll run the mainspring down by releasing the click spring and see if it's just a bit overwound, but I'm always gentle with it so I don't think it's that!

I know I was wanting to get a highbeat 177 but this wasn't the way I wanted to do it... :facepalm::lol:

Any advice and recommendations on easy fixes gratefully received! :lol:

greg_r

Any advice and recommendations on easy fixes gratefully received! :lol:

Buy a new watch? :Whistle:

:sofa:

Del

I can only offer my commiserations mate :( (or do what greg suggested :lol: ).

fletch1971

Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

gtwc

My commiserations.

Wait 'til you hear about my story of woe concerning H-factory Pam177L -

it knocks yours into a cocked hat !!!!

Wiz

Lately I've had some H-Factory PAMs on the bench with similar issues. The movement needs to be cleaned and re-oiled, but swapping it for a good hi-beat one would definitely be a good idea.

gtwc

OK, here goes........

Courtesy of Wiz who gave me permission to copy his email to me.....

This was what Wiz found wrong with my Pam 177L.......

Now that you've send me the watch I can tell you everything. :)

The caseback crystal is actually not sapphire, it's mineral crystal, and it's fairly scratched. I'll try to polish the scratches with diamond paste, but not sure I can remove them completly.

As I told you, the dial wasn't attached to the movement, and it doesn't even have dial feet. But what I failed to mentionned, since I don't wanted you to be too disapointed with the watch, is that the movement doesn't even have holes to fit dial feet!! First time I ever see this!!

When I got the watch, the dial wasn't even glued to the movement, it was free, so the second hand did a small scuff on the dial. That I didn't mentioned as well, once again because I don't wanted you to be too disapointed. :)

I think they used all the bad parts they had left to build that watch. :)

But I'm very happy with the watch anyway, I'll order some new hands and a new movement, polish the back crystal, and it will good to go. ;)

By now, I gave up.

Bastard watch.

I gave to Wiz to 'do with as he wishes'.

Aaaaghhh !!!!

Member X

LOL

Ok, mine's not doing so bad then! :lol:

It may take a trip across the channel to our french friend at some point ;) but I will see if I can resurrect it first...

I know I could do a movement swap if I need to, I'm just not sure I trust myself not to fuck it up and scratch the dial and hands! :facepalm::D

HWG

My 005 That I got from Toro didnt tick when I first wound it. I removed the caseback, and used some compressed air for a quick shot on the mainspring, and it has been working perfectly since. Hopefully you just have a simple issue.

lumbee

Member X, it could be an overbanking issue. Sometimes a watch will not have the banking pins located correctly and if so, the pallet fork can swing to the outside of the impulse jewel on the balance wheel. If this is the case, you have to remove the balance and reinstall it in the correct position. Hopefully you can adjust the banking pins before replacing the balance.

Dave

Luthier

Did you change the battery?

;)

Dendo

My 288 stopped last week. Was totally surprized as it had been fine since I got it. Did manage to get it going again by hand winding it. It stopped again though so I removed the caseback.

Found a small screw completely free within the case - similar in size to the screws that hold the movement in the case.

Now three questions 1) WTF is the QC like on these things? 2) Why did that screw not mess up the movement before now? 3) what is the most likely place it could have stopped the movement?

Mainspring looks fine. Rotor I relubed and is fine. No obvious damage - feel very lucky about this but also a tad annoyed. Is this another check we need to make on new watches in addition to the bracelet screws etc etc.

10:10 Watch Repair

Now three questions 1) WTF is the QC like on these things? 2) Why did that screw not mess up the movement before now? 3) what is the most likely place it could have stopped the movement?

1. None, other than the dealer who posts pics, but no one looks at the movement assembly.

2. Could have just worked it's way loose because it wasn't tightened properly, wasn't milled or threaded correctly, the plate wasn't tapped correctly, etc.

3. Balance, but it could have jammed something anywhere along the way.

Dendo

1. None, other than the dealer who posts pics, but no one looks at the movement assembly.

2. Could have just worked it's way loose because it wasn't tightened properly, wasn't milled or threaded correctly, the plate wasn't tapped correctly, etc.

3. Balance, but it could have jammed something anywhere along the way.

Re: 2 - I can not find where this screw has come from - I think it is an extra movement securing screw that was dropped but was never recovered.

All is well that ends well I suppose.

DeLaForce

Give it to wiz ?