Sign in to follow this  
oscarmadfish

buying a rolex

oscarmadfish

i think its fair to say that a rolex is the most repped watch and the one most people will think is a fake if you wear one

i dont own a rolex but will do at sometime

i was wondering what people look for in a rolex rep

first thing for me would be the sweep hand

i believe and please correct me if i am wrong a gen rolex beats at 28,800 beats an hour

so if it is not sweeping at that speed i would not want to know

what points would you guys look for ?

rc42

I'd avoid gold plating for a daily beater and go for SS, they age much better. Plating is fine for an occasional use bling watch though.

Choose your model and research it, get some pics of the gen and compare with the rep before you buy.

I'm not keen on the smaler 'old man' Rolex watches so its Subs, Sea-Dwellers and GMT Masters for me.

Things to look at when comparing:

Look carefully at the crown guards, especially if they overlap the base of the crown when its screwed down, be suspicious if the rep pictures only show the crown unscrewed.

The rehaut (the metal ring between the crystal and the dial) should be near vertical, some reps are so sloped they look like a wok

The magnification of the date window under the cyclops should be 2.5x, many reps get this wrong, look at the gen pics or in a jeweler's window to learn how it should look

Datefonts bother some people, they all look the same to me

The pearl in the bezel (non GMT watches) is a thing of beauty on the gens, most reps have more of a zit

Dial printing is always sharper on the gens but reps are pretty good these days, some people look at the exact size and spacing of the 'SWISS MADE' at 6 O'clock but even the gens have some variation.

The crystal should have a tiny laser etched crown on the underside at 6 O'clock, if you can see it then its probably too big

An auto with a 28,800 bph rate is a must, the latest 21j Asian movements can do this now but if you want ETA the clone version is cheaper and probably the best option these days (you may well get one anyway, even if you pay an extra $100 for a Swiss ETA).

Bear in mind that only Rolex sell a perfect sub so all reps have flaws and don't get too hung up about them and remember that 99.999% of people cant even spot a fairly poor fake watch but they'll assume it is because its a Rolex.

Luthier

If you going out to the party or opera(do you?) wearing a smoking or Armani suit - best is DayDate or DateJust. It's classy, elegant, and it's appropriate to wear gold or two tone. Gold is too much to me, TT is manly, but with some "wealth touch". For daily use or if you going on the beach or sport event- then definitely Sub, Daytona, my favorite Yacht-Master,GMT or Sea Dweller.

Best SS DayDate I got from Lawrence, it's nearly perfect rep. with 21j, that works and looks just unbelievable good. And it's only $55 shipped.

I got my TT Sub with swiss ETA and wrapped gold from Mary, and extremely pleased with quality. I asked to lub it well, and do waterproofing. Great rep.

Many other dealers carry a whole bunch of good reps.

About beats - trust me, you'll never see the difference in sweeping of 21j and swiss movement. 6 beats per second or 8 - need a machine to detect the difference. Personally I love 21j - stable, very reliable and cheap. Rolex never made display case back, so, who cares...

Do your research and choose a few that please your eye and taste.

iabounty

I agree. The asian 21j is good enough and very well priced. My movement of choice on the Rolex Sub. and Breitling SOSF I own. Looking at the yellow gold plated Rolex Date Just RDJMF10005 that Josh sells for $238 but can't get myself to spend that much money. Opinions anyone?

KBH
I agree. The asian 21j is good enough and very well priced. My movement of choice on the Rolex Sub. and Breitling SOSF I own. Looking at the yellow gold plated Rolex Date Just RDJMF10005 that Josh sells for $238 but can't get myself to spend that much money. Opinions anyone?

You're paying for Swiss ETA on that one. There's a good chance you'll get a clone anyway so why not buy one with a clone movement and save $100.

JohnG

If you buy from Chris you can be sure to get a gen ETA, if that is what you want.

Apart from the clone ETA, there is also a high beat DG2813. You can swap it into a lower priced Asian Folex and have correct sweep, though it is a lot of trouble for something that is less noticeable than other things.

Like others have said, get a stainless steel watch. If you want a larger watch, there is the new Milgauss which is not likely to get called out (the subs are more likely to be assumed to be fake). But if that doesn't bother you, the new sub and DSSD are also larger watches...

What are you interested in?

iabounty

Have several SS watches and my fathers Gold plated Elgin Day Date retirement watch which is badly worn and torn. I just want a decent gold plated Rolex Datejust with gold bracelet for dress occations (yes I own a suit) and personal enjoyment, but cost is a factor. Beer isn't getting any cheaper, you know....... :poke:

AllergyDoc

No one asked you what you want, Iowa. Butt out. :gunbandana:

But as I am feeling kind tonight, I'll have mercy on you. :poke:

This is my FG DJ. You don't have to get one with CZ's, but these really do sparkle in the light.

DJ2.jpg

I've only had one, make that two if you count the DD I bought from a scammer, problem with gold. The FG Daytona I got from Silix came with a bracelet that started flaking after only 2 months. The replacement they sent has been stellar, though. The FG watches from Josh and Andrew have been great. No sign of flaking. They're all ETA watches, though. Can't vouch for the 21J FG models.

Guest dave123
what points would you guys look for ?

They look for the word 'Rolex' on the dial,if you have ever had one in your hand,you would know there is nothing else to look for.

Luthier

PM me.

Luthier

A Gentleman's Watch.

DSCF0019-1.jpg

NFleischer

I'd recommend BK's WM9 sub, its expensive but a very good rep. Josh or anybody can sell you

a nice DD or DJ for about $220. as for real 'swiss' etas, i don't believe it anymore. even if they swear

they're almost all clones.

oscarmadfish

thanx guys very intresting so far keep it coming :poke:

Luthier
I'd recommend BK's WM9 sub, its expensive but a very good rep. Josh or anybody can sell you

a nice DD or DJ for about $220. as for real 'swiss' etas, i don't believe it anymore. even if they swear

they're almost all clones.

Almost, but not all. I got few real swisses. Went to professional with 5 reps. and he said - these 2 are swiss, these 3 - clones.Exactly what I knew already.

greg_r

I agree with much of what has been said above - especially rc42's comments.

Given your preference for larger watches, a day/date or datejust is a classic look, but bear in mind they're small watches @36mm. The Day/Date II is bigger at 41mm, but only Josh and Andrew appear to have them yet. If you want something over 40mm, the Day/Date II or the DeepSea are currently the only options.

trailboss99
A Gentleman's Watch.

DSCF0019-1.jpg

IO: yep, that's your watch. Luither came up with exactly the watch I was thinking of when you said you wanted a nice dressy Rolex. There's somthing special about a day-date. It's a very dressy watch but at the same time isn't too blingy neither is it OTT like a PP or VC ect. It has an old world solidness about it. Also you can wear a DD with just about anything down to speedos without it looking out of place, Well, maybe not a full gold but the TT, yes. It's an "old money" watch and "new money" is sort of vulgar after all :D

Anyone know how good the reps of this DD are? I wouldn't mind one myself.

Oscar: Depends what you want mate. If it's a tool Rolex unless you'r anal just get a noob sub for 108 bucks. If it's a dress one the afore mentioned DD or a Date Just would be the go.

Col.

Luthier
A Gentleman's Watch.

DSCF0019-1.jpg

IO: yep, that's your watch. Luither came up with exactly the watch I was thinking of when you said you wanted a nice dressy Rolex. There's somthing special about a day-date. It's a very dressy watch but at the same time isn't too blingy neither is it OTT like a PP or VC ect. It has an old world solidness about it. Also you can wear a DD with just about anything down to speedos without it looking out of place, Well, maybe not a full gold but the TT, yes. It's an "old money" watch and "new money" is sort of vulgar after all :D

Anyone know how good the reps of this DD are? I wouldn't mind one myself.

Col.

I got mine for $150 with swiss ETA, customized for me, and it's best DD rep. I've ever had so far.And you know, Col., where I got it.

Can't beat the price and service.

About DD II - yes, it's bigger, 41mm, but these new dials are ugly... no class at all.

oscarmadfish

it would be for everyday wear and the deep sea dweller is odds on favorite at the moment

reasons so far are its the biggest,it has no gold on it and no cyclops

so the best sea dweller is what i want to know about

btw i think the DD is the most classic rolex there is but its just not oscar

trailboss99
btw i think the DD is the most classic rolex there is but its just not oscar

Only 'cause he can't figger out how to make one look good on a strap. :D

New sea dweller? Chriss if he sorts out the current mess. Is there a WM9 DSD?

Col.

oscarmadfish

*WM9 DSD?*

whats that mean ?

trailboss99

It meens does WM9 make a deep sea dweller rep. 'cause that would prob be the pick of 'em if he does.

'cause you could allways just order from BK at RG or RWG2. I'm shure he'd do a damn fine DSD.

Col.

oscarmadfish

right i got it WM9 is a dealer

JohnG

I know what a Sea-Dweller is and I know what a Sea-Dweller Deep Sea is... what is a DSD????

mcloud

If you've never had a Rolex rep, I still think that Andrew and Josh sell very good ones in their free shipping $108 deals and it's a great place to start. For cheapies that have had a bit of QC, Narikaa and WBK (both on RG and elsewhere) are great. I have had a bit of a mixed bag with Silix and it's a long wait, but have had some good daydate Rolexes from them and the gold is still holding. :D

oscarmadfish

the deep sea dweller is the newest ? and biggest ?