Sign in to follow this  
seoulbrova

Comparison of BK DSSD and MARY DSSD

seoulbrova

Im trying to decide which one to get and I'm leaning towards BK because when you factor in the cost of Mary's with shipping and paypal it's not much more.

However, does anyone know if BK's DSSD is the same overall quality as Mary's in terms of SEL Fit, dial, etc? I read a post here and SKA said that Mary's was by far the best one he's see. I also saw a review from Mike McNair praising the DSSD from Robert.

I don't understand how there could be discrepancies if it's the same couple suppliers.

I know the Trevor bezel is considered to be better with the triangle but how hard would this mod be?

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14367&hl=

Thanks for your help.

MikeMcNair

The bezel mod on Roberts 249$ ultimate is the absolute BEST band for the buck.

I have. Even wearing one for almost 2 weeks and I also have Mary's, and honestly, for the price of Roberts and a Trevor bezel you are still cheaper than Mary's!

This one (Roberts 249 "ultimate") will be the watch I suggest to anyone (friends and family alike) as it truly is wonterful!!!

I will be doing a review with many pictures and videos of this watch, that's how impressed I am with it!!!

Plus, it keeps amazing time, I haven't adjusted it since the day I got it (about 14-16 days) and its EXACTLY 30 seconds fast as of this minute (just checked it to my iPhone) so what's that, 2 seconds a day almost? Amazing if you ask me.

This watch will be the basis of all my "builds" from now on.

Only mods it needs:

Superlume (all reps need this IMO)

Matte finish dial

Trevor bezel

My custom pearl

Done, best dssd on the planet, and yer still way ahead of the price point of others.

Personally, the date wheel is of no concern to me, but many like this also. I've done quite a few, but honestly see no need for it personally.

Hope that helps. Keep your eyes peeled for my head to head with a few different DSSDs

MikeMcNair

Edit: BANG for the buck in first sentance

And "I have been wearing" not whatever the second sentance lol

sconehead

Edit: BANG for the buck in first sentance

And "I have been wearing" not whatever the second sentance lol

Mike, you can use the edit function to correct these mistakes you know...;)

Cynikal.Mindset

damn dssd talk makes me wanna get another one...must resist!

seoulbrova

Mike, is the Trevor bezel a direct fit over Roberts?

And how hard is it to swap them out wihtout having to replace the movement?

Do you notice a difference between bracelets or anything else?

Thanks

Luthier

Why need to replace mov't to swap bezel inserts??????????

+1 to what Mike said.

RichardMiami

There is no DSSD in my collection - there is no DSSD in my collection - There is no DSSD in my collection - there is no DSSD in my collection - There is no DSSD in my collection - there is no DSSD in my collection - There is no DSSD in my collection - there is no DSSD in my collection - My wife will kill me - There is no DSSD in my collection - there is no DSSD in my collection - There is no DSSD in my collection - there is no DSSD in my collection - There is no DSSD in my collection - there is no DSSD in my collection - There is no DSSD in my collection - there is no DSSD in my collection -

seoulbrova

Luthier, I recall a post from Mike or another modder saying that putting a hair dryer might melt the printing on the dial. I believe it was easier to take out movement and put case in hotwater to loosen the bezel.

Luthier

If I replace bezel insert, I use soldering iron, touching insert only. It melt the glue under insert, and make it easy removable. If the insert is ceramic, it will not damage it at all. Hair dryer? Why not to boil a whole watch then???

:picard:

MikeMcNair

sconey, my "edit" button is greyed out, so if you could turn it on for me that would be great!!!

changing bezel insert is done either by luthier's suggestion (which DOES WORK) or, if you are doing something else (which i ALWAYS am) i do the following...

take out movement, insert watch head in hot water for 10 min, press crystal out from the back, use razor to pry bezel off (in a circular motion, therefore cutting the "glue points") and simply glue the new one on.

now, i do this most often as it allows me to recenter the crystal, make sure its flush, etc, and am usually regulating the movement, luming, matte finishing the dial, etc, so its easy and fast for me to do the "hot water trick".

not a necessity for everyone.

as for the fit, finish, and feel of bracelet, when compared to roberts 249 model, they are IDENTICAL!!! the trevor bezel actually sits in a hair deeper on roberts too, making it closer to gen.

last one i did for one of mary's watches, i had to actually take off 1mm or so of material to make it sit proper, and it still wasnt perfect IMO.

when comparing roberts cheaper one to his "ultimate" there is no comparison, period! the cheaper one feels cheaper, looks cheaper, and just isn't RIGHT, if that makes any sense.

this is his best offering yet.....

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21354

these are the cheaper ones with 21j mvmnts......

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9800

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21307

Gazillionaire

My edit button is always Greyed out aswell Mike but it still works, try it :)

jeffw69

How is BK DSSD and Mary's DSSD even a question for comparison???

Mary's is an off the shelf model and BK's is a modded edition.

OP, you asked why is there a discrepancy if it's the same suppliers? BK's is modded, end of.

KeNnY

personally I would do the same like Mike did, and maybe I will do. In next year I am planning to buy an Ultimate DSSD from Robert, add Trevors bezel insert, and maybe, if Mike will sell me one :lol:, an Mikes ultra great gen pearl with sapphire crystal on top.

greg_r

BK vs Mary DSSD.

Basically the same watch sourced from the same factory (as are most of the other upmarket DSSDs out there). The difference is that BK does some work on the watch - waterproofing it and adding a datewheel overlay with a more accurate date font.

However, I'd go with Mike's suggestion - the one that Robert sells is excellent value.

Mike: the edit button is greyed out until you hover your mouse over it - then it will work ;)

seoulbrova

I'm not sure BK is selling the same version though.

From my understanding there are two swiss versions

http://www.marvellousreplica.com/products_detail.php?ProId=1018

http://www.marvellousreplica.com/products_detail.php?ProId=1017

I asked BK if he is using the ultimate version with the 316F, but he didn't give me a solid response which would lead me to believe he is perhaps selling the cheaper version?

DeLaForce

I'd go with BK , fine details makes it worth it

Luthier

What details, exactly? Just curious...

seoulbrova

This is from BK's listing

I was so happy to see the noob DSSD finally got the upgrades I want that I feel comfortable carrying it again.

- latest version of bezel insert i.e. it has centered "10", larger, whiter, bolder numbers than v3's and v4's

- my custom datewheel overlay which has the correct font size and font style esp. 3, 2. The noob dw overlay has oversized font and wrong font style. Alignment of many dates on the noob dw overlay is wrong too, e.g. 21, 31, 19, etc.

- guaranteed genuine ETA 2836-2 (commonly called Swiss ETA 2836-2 by other dealers) OR Swiss Sellita SW-220

- fully press in the crystal and even it to maximize WR. **NEW: my own better, more expensive (at least 3x more, not the cheap PE gasket that the noobfactory uses) crystal gasket that doesn't "hair out" when fully pressed in.

- line up the 12 o'clock marker to the engraved coronent on the rehaut engraving. Again the factory often leave them misaligned.

Luthier

OK, let's see...

1. Bezel insert. I highly doubt it, because on all ultimates, that I've seen - the same insert, and it's the good one. We're not talking about "noob" watches here.

2. DW overlay - agreed.

3. Genuine ETA - Mary guarantee the same, and Robert's A2836-2 is great mov't too.

4. Nobody ever complained about crystal on any ultimates.

5. Same about rehault coronet - on ultimates it's aligned perfectly.

But - need to have all 3 watches - BK's, Robert's, and Mary's DSSDs, then, and only then the professional watchsmith can tell all the differences.

seoulbrova

Mary sent me a pic of her DSSD this morning, i noticed that the date was misaligned.

Just can decide if that's worth a premium, would rather have a Trevor bezel that a DW overlay.

The million dollar question, which DSSD do you have Luthier?

As for Mary, I've ordered from her, MR, and Robert since I joined this forum. I keep going back to her because she has great service. I am slightly concerned about the GEN ETA though because a member on RG posted a picture of his Ploprof which was supposed to be gen ETA, but it had a clone (from Mary).

Luthier

I bought my DSSD from Mary 3 years ago, it was 1st batch of DSSDs, with incorrect "10" on bezel insert, everything else - DW, coronet, crystal - absolutely perfect.

Gen. ETA, ofcourse. And I highly doubt that member get the clone, if he paid for ETA, I know, how Mary work, It can't happen. Now I'm sending my DSSD to Mike, for new Trevor's insert and Mike's pearl, and, as Mike said, it will be the best DSSD on Earth. One more thing - BK himself admitted, that etched signs on his clasps aren't good, but mine is perfect.

g.man

I'm with Luth on this. Now once upon a time I'm sure BK's mods merited consideration, but nowadays unless you're super anal about the date wheel (and I'm not even convinced about that anymore), then his mods seem completely unnecessary on the current crop of ultimate DSSD's. Sure, there are some mods that can be done to improve the watch, but none of them are the ones that BK does as standard. Now if he was sticking a Trevor bezel insert on them and superluming them to a high standard then I'd be first in the queue, but he isn't. You're effectively paying for mods that (IMO) aren't required anymore in the first place.

regards

g.man

Member X

I would happily buy from BK again because he has such excellent customer service and QC. The DW is something that bugs me so I'm happy to get that done before I get it, and it also means less time in the air and less going through customs to get to a modder, reducing risk of total loss. He's also happy to consider additional work if you want to add gen parts or, I imagine, another bezel insert.

Ultimately BK is just another choice for buyers, which is a good thing. I would be a return buyer and would recommend him because he offers peace of mind for my paranoid self :lol: Other people are less worried and the other offerings from the other dealers are fine for them.

You pays your money, you makes your choice. What's good for one person may not be good for someone else, so as long as BK is not overcharging by some ridiculous sum for the work he does, he is fully justified in being here (IMHO ;))

seoulbrova

im not questioning if BK belongs here, just asking if it's worth the price difference to get one of his DSSD over the ultimate version offered by others.

how much does Mike charge for the bezel swap and pearl mod?