Sign in to follow this  
KBH

US Customs snooping around!

Member X
I love the art of the blag lol

What's "the art of the blag"? dun understand

Also RA: Your avatar is very disturbing! Who the hell is that?

My apologies if this following bit comes across as condescending - it's not meant to be! lol

When you 'blag' something you're either slightly fibbing or not telling the truth in order to get what you want.

i.e. you could blag your way into a club by saying you're a friend of the DJ and are bringing him a vital CD of freshly cut tunes that he asked for earlier in the day but couldn't get personally. You may well have a (blank) CD on your person so you can 'back up' your story, but the fact you've only ever said "Nice set, mate!" to the DJ does not make him your friend, therefore you're fibbing a bit :D lol

Or, as per RAs post, you don't quite tell the whole truth but sound as convincing as you can in the hope that they don't ask any more questions.

The fact that blagging is so hard to do usually means that there is an art to doing it successfully, hence me saying that I love the way there is an art and therefore a skill to doing it properly :clap: It's a good skill to have! lol

Edited by Member X

RolexAddict

Member X,

english is not my mother tongue, I don't catch your meaning about my post,

It's about the gun parts story ? this story is true, all I write here about experiences on watches or private -I don't expose to much my private life- all is true

You don't know me, I don't play with watches only, I have many centres of interest and hobbies, and if I say my private and professional life are a big mess, the word is weak

I could you tell you stories when I used to fly in South East Asian, I made works of art traffic between Burma, Thailand and Europe,

I also spent 4 days in jail in Grenada island/West Indies as I carried frozen meat without sanitary certificate in a light twin engine between Guadeloupe and this fucking rasta island,

I am an eccentric not a classic, classic life is rather boring

Member X

I fear there has been some cross-language confusion! lol ;)

I'm not saying you were lying about the guns story! :clap:

I was just saying that you were only telling half the truth to the customs guy - you were missing out the information on the barrels, so that they didn't ask any more questions or demand to see any paperwork, therefore you were 'blagging' it. Blagging is just getting your way by giving mis-information or a slight bending of the truth! :D

The online dictionary definition is narrow in what it covers: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blag

but I think blagging is less 'strong' than that. A robber or scam is a 'con' in my world, a 'blag' is something more done while trying to have fun for less money than it would otherwise cost! :rofl:

AllergyDoc
I was just saying that you were only telling half the truth to the customs guy - you were missing out the information on the barrels, so that they didn't ask any more questions or demand to see any paperwork, therefore you were 'blagging' it. Blagging is just getting your way by giving mis-information or a slight bending of the truth! :P

The online dictionary definition is narrow in what it covers: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blag

but I think blagging is less 'strong' than that. A robber or scam is a 'con' in my world, a 'blag' is something more done while trying to have fun for less money than it would otherwise cost! :D

:rolleyes:

Those Brits...

RolexAddict

ok, ok Member X, sorry I am susceptible and paranoïd, I didnt understand,

we say in french "bluffer" -to fool- it means what you explained. I think at this time I had the good reflex to tell them to open the parcel to check themselves

I am a little scarred with watches as I ordered a lot last year from Josh and it seem to be to much easy. Just 5 working days and you have something no legal right in front of your door.

At the same time you pay with money instruments which are not very safe for your privacy... like visa, master, amex...

believe me, bankers = little hitlers

I remember a story from a friend from the range who told me that someone he knows ordered lot of gun parts with no problems...

In fact customs opened a parcel, checked items, then release. Then they released a lot of parcels for this guy, the guy was in confidence... :D and a few weeks after, at 6 o'clock in the morning, he had men in custom costumes knocking at his door... :P

I suppose they just wanted to have something solid to arrest the guy, I think it could be the same with watches from China

Member X

Ah yes, 'bluffer' is a good word! That translates directly! :P

I understand the paranoia about watches, as it does seem rather easy... I would hope that the police and customs have bigger problems to deal with, but you never know!

I have considered getting a 'pre-pay' credit card. Do you have those in France? You credit money to the card, paying a small fee to do so, then you just spend on it like a normal card. You're supposed to have a legitimate address to get one (so they can track you, I guess) but I'm sure there are ways round that :D lol

Edited by Member X

hk45ca

king shipped me a ym in an envelope a couple of years ago and it had us customs green tape on it. they didn't unwrap the watch, everything was fine.

Luthier
king shipped me a ym in an envelope a couple of years ago and it had us customs green tape on it. they didn't unwrap the watch, everything was fine.

Don't need, they have X-ray machine.