Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bimmer

Are all Deep Sea Dwellers as bad as this?

Distinct

First Mr. Bimmer, you should have started this whole thread with a picture of your wrist wearing the DSSD on the very biggest setting there is. People would be more afraid of you. You have a huge wrist!

1) Bad pearl position, get a seperate replacement. Just forget the original dealer. All the returns and shipping isn't worth it. When you get the next one, the pearl will be fine and maybe something else will annoy you. I would not buy from them again, but honestly, the QA on every single product from even the very best dealers here will not be perfect because the money is not there to go over every single part and have formalized processes to guarantee that it is done to flawlessly.

2) If your wrist really isn't that large and you don't need the extension segment, I recommend that you take it out and use only the smaller links. It is that extension segment that is making the clasp not close properly. This can be done for all the DSSD owners who are experiencing this problem.

3) The poor machining/polishing. I would just fix this yourself. There's a bunch of posts in the archives that show people doing various metal work on their watch.

Good luck.

Luthier

Trevor's bezel insert is much cheaper, than $99, and it's, practically, perfect.

Mr Bimmer

First Mr. Bimmer, you should have started this whole thread with a picture of your wrist wearing the DSSD on the very biggest setting there is. People would be more afraid of you. You have a huge wrist!

1) Bad pearl position, get a seperate replacement. Just forget the original dealer. All the returns and shipping isn't worth it. When you get the next one, the pearl will be fine and maybe something else will annoy you. I would not buy from them again, but honestly, the QA on every single product from even the very best dealers here will not be perfect because the money is not there to go over every single part and have formalized processes to guarantee that it is done to flawlessly.

2) If your wrist really isn't that large and you don't need the extension segment, I recommend that you take it out and use only the smaller links. It is that extension segment that is making the clasp not close properly. This can be done for all the DSSD owners who are experiencing this problem.

3) The poor machining/polishing. I would just fix this yourself. There's a bunch of posts in the archives that show people doing various metal work on their watch.

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. I'm certainly going to forget this particular 'trusted seller'.

Here is the only wrist shot I have. I couldn't get the camera far enough away to focus on my full wrist.

DSC_9413Large.jpg

Good luck.

Trevor's bezel insert is much cheaper, than $99, and it's, practically, perfect.

Can you guide me towards this Trevor please.

P4GTR

I concur, get bezel from trevor. Should not cost $100. Polish that clasp yourself. Have a dremel? That particular edge will be an easy fix even for beginners.

Contact trevor to get the bezel going, let us know how it gos. Swap should be easy, double sided tape holds it on. Just heat it with a blow dryer and wiggle it loose. Trevor might be willing to sell you a new clasp if you want to pick up both things at once.

for what its worth, the rest of the watch looks nice. Good lug fit, nice looking movement.. A lot of the real important stuff is fine, your problems are among the easiest to solve thankfully. Avoid returning to China at all costs means learning to pull a few tricks out from time to time. Good luck. Don't let this turn you off to reps, they will test the limits of your patience but they're worth it. Look to buy pre-owned on the boards next time, the QC has already been done for you.

Mr Bimmer

I concur, get bezel from trevor. Should not cost $100. Polish that clasp yourself. Have a dremel? That particular edge will be an easy fix even for beginners.

Contact trevor to get the bezel going, let us know how it gos. Swap should be easy, double sided tape holds it on. Just heat it with a blow dryer and wiggle it loose. Trevor might be willing to sell you a new clasp if you want to pick up both things at once.

for what its worth, the rest of the watch looks nice. Good lug fit, nice looking movement.. A lot of the real important stuff is fine, your problems are among the easiest to solve thankfully. Avoid returning to China at all costs means learning to pull a few tricks out from time to time. Good luck. Don't let this turn you off to reps, they will test the limits of your patience but they're worth it. Look to buy pre-owned on the boards next time, the QC has already been done for you.

Thanks. Good advice

That's what puzzles me. A simple apology from the seller and another bezel would have cost him a few pence and would have kept me happy. Does no one do decent customer service any more? I would expect better from a trusted dealer and hope it doesn't indicate an overall picture of the other trusted dealers, some of which are probably fine.

Like you say, I expect some shortfalls in quality and the clasp will be an easy(ish) fix. :mellow: I'm sure it will be ok in the end.

10:10 Watch Repair

I doubt the seller has bezels to offer. Some can get parts, some can't

Once you have been around here a while, you will have a different expectation of customer service in the rep world. IMO it's pretty exceptional already. It is an illegal trade after all.

P4GTR

Thanks. Good advice

That's what puzzles me. A simple apology from the seller and another bezel would have cost him a few pence and would have kept me happy. Does no one do decent customer service any more? I would expect better from a trusted dealer and hope it doesn't indicate an overall picture of the other trusted dealers, some of which are probably fine.

Like you say, I expect some shortfalls in quality and the clasp will be an easy(ish) fix. :mellow: I'm sure it will be ok in the end.

None of them are perfect, some are definitely better than others. They all have their quirks, you'll find one that you work best with. Josh (perfect clones), for example is really good about getting spare parts to you. Mary (watchinternational) sent me a new bezel for my Carrera day/date simply due to a little smudge misprint on the 5 in "150".

Of course it's always nice when you don't need parts to fix your new watch, right? MR for the most part is highly regarded, but sometimes he seems to get PMS... Don't ask me how I know. :footinmouth:

Dendo

These are reps not gens.

This is an illegal trade not legal.

We have all had issues we have to learn from - you Mr Bimmer have 13 posts and have had a lot of wonderful support and information from members here. Now is that not wonderful? Be positive, fix the stuff, enjoy the hobby.

trailboss99

Nothing here is outside of the norm for reps, the watch you got is the one pictured and few pearls are centred.

As for the clasp, what position is the comfort adjuster in? If they are not all the way out that is how the clasp sits, gen and rep.

Your expectations of the rep game are just too high and I suspect that any rep you buy is going to result in a thread such as this.

You are going to run out of dealers willing to sell to you mate.

Now about the pearl once again. Apparently this did not sink in the first time so I'll post it again:

TheRealWorld.jpg

Get it? No one will ever notice! For anyone to see that they are waaaay into your personal space. Do folk often pull out a loupe and grab your arm?

Also, even gens are not perfect. Have a look part way down this page at the imperfect gens: Minus4Plus6.com - Ouch! Tough & Broken Rolex

Akira

66322248.jpg

I get the dissappointment, a Trevor insert should do though :)

Just keep in mind it's all in the game....don't let it get to you :D

greg_r

Yup - mine's like that too. Doesn't bother me enough to fix it - can't tell when on the wrist (being old with failing eyesight is useful in this hobby :lol: )

Mr Bimmer

Right.

After a bit of tweaking the clasp is sitting properly

IMG_0708Large.jpg

I've reshaped and polished the edges that looked like it was cleaned up with an angle grinder. It's difficult to see in the photo but it now matches the rest of the clasp edges.

IMG_0710Large.jpg

All I need now is to get rid of the ropey bezel and replace it with a Trevor bezel. I hope its as good as you guys say.

IMG_0704Large.jpg

Wrist shot of the Breitling Evo bought from Josh 3 years ago. This has been absolutely faultless and worn every day. It still looks like new.

IMG_0714Large.jpg

Del

Wrist shot of the Breitling Evo bought from Josh 3 years ago. This has been absolutely faultless and worn every day. It still looks like new.

IMG_0714Large.jpg

Isn't the pearl missing?! :rofl:

(Well done with the DSSD bracelet btw! ;) )

KeNnY

That's the spirit! I would recommend to get that watch also relumed and waterproofed when you are going already replace the bezel insert.

You will then have awesome DSSD that will be totally gen like :-)

Mr Bimmer

IMG_0714Large.jpg

You won't believe this, but I have only just noticed that as well. What a bummer, it was fine last week. Damn.

Any idea where I can get it sorted in the UK?

Edited by Mr Bimmer

You won't believe this, but I have only just noticed that as well. What a bummer, it was fine last week. Damn.

You may want to ask around, it might be a different watch.

(couldn't help myself)

Mr Bimmer

How is the pearl fitted on the deepsea? Can it be pulled off and re attached in the correct position?

KeNnY

Yes it can. Heat the ceramic bezel with soldering iron , make it loose. Pop it out, pop the Pearl out glue everything back together

Dendo

Good that you are fixing things - well done!!

DSSD_ Taking the eye off of the off centre position is everything. A tiny touch of white paint carefully applied to the triangle on the side the pearl appears to be closest to, is what I would do. Depends on your skill with a brush though - might be safer to reposition the pearl.

Re the Breitling :lmao: :lmao: :lmao2:

:picard2:

Mr Bimmer

Yes it can. Heat the ceramic bezel with soldering iron , make it loose. Pop it out, pop the Pearl out glue everything back together

So if I understand correctly. Hold the soldering onto the steel ring of the pearl until it becomes loose, then pull it out with the bezel still on the watch?

Does the steel pearl holder have a smaller spigot on the underside? If so, would you assume the spigot hole is off centre to the diamond meaning the hole will need to be elongated over?

different pearls are different, some have a small pin on the underside which are easy to move, some are much larger requiring more drilling. Use a ceramic or glass bit, support the insert carefully, they frequently crack at the hole.

Mr Bimmer

Do I need to remove the bezel? If so, does the complete bezel come off or just the thin black portion?

If the black piece is stuck on, do I prise it off with a knife after warming up the bezel?

rolexfreak

Be carefull when getting the bezel of, as they are made of glass and break easy your better of removing the whole bezel and pussing the insert out from behind but be carefull as they break easily.