Sign in to follow this  
nunya

Lume Dot Came Loose On PAM243

nunya

I recently purchased a PAM243 which I love. I looked down shortly after it arrived and noticed a strange dot floating around 2:00 inside the crystal. Upon closer inspection I could see that the lume dot from 7:00 had come loose and was stuck to the crystal. It was distracting to say the least. So, I did some homework on the boards here and elsewhere and felt reasonably confident that I could open up the watch, remove the movement and reattach the lume dot where it belonged.

In the picture below you can see the dot stuck to the inside of the crystal. I have already removed the stem at this point.

P1000251-Edit-2.jpg

The next step was to remove the movement. That was fairly straightforward and the best advise I read was to work on a microfiber towel so that if (when) you drop the tiny screws, you will be able to find them.

In this picture you can clearly see the lume dot stuck to the crystal. It wasn't really stuck but I had to be very careful as I did not want to scratch the crystal trying to remove it.

P1000257-Edit.jpg

With a tiny dab of cement and it was returned to the 7:00 position. Reassembly was accomplished by simply reversing the dis-assembly steps. The reassembled watch is below - much better!

P1000262-Edit.jpg

Member X

Awesome, well done! :)

It's scary taking a watch apart in case you can't get it back together again, but it's very satisfying when it all comes good and you feel a bit more attached to it :)

Did you have any silicon grease to do the stem seal and the caseback seal? Will help with waterproofness if you can do them, although as it's a rep I would never fully trust it till it had been tested :P lol

nunya

Awesome, well done! :)

It's scary taking a watch apart in case you can't get it back together again, but it's very satisfying when it all comes good and you feel a bit more attached to it :)

Did you have any silicon grease to do the stem seal and the caseback seal? Will help with waterproofness if you can do them, although as it's a rep I would never fully trust it till it had been tested :P lol

I did not lube anything - and I feel a bit guilty about that. I don't have the proper lubricants so I was EXTREMELY careful to not let the gasket, stem or any of the other parts touch anything other than a clean bowl where I sat them while the watch was apart. And yes, it was quite satisfying when it all went back together and I saw it was still keeping time! :thumbsup:

robznet

Wow! Great 1st fix mate and very well done! It seems you have the confidence to take on jobs a lot of us other members would not even think about. Proud of you! :thumbsup2:

Luthier

Did you pay yourself $50 for the job?

:D

robznet

Sorry Luth - thought that read blow job!! :wub: Been out on the beer tonight - please excuse me!

nunya

Did you pay yourself $50 for the job?

:D

That's funny! I did spend a few bucks on a set of jeweler's screwdrivers. Then I had to file one of them because the blade was still too fat to fit the screws that held the movement in place.

robznet

Hang on though - 50USD = about 32.22GBP so if he paid himself that..........................oh fuck it, brain not working so I give up! :offtobed:

torobravo

Those lume dots in the old 243´s are a pain. I had to sell them on discount because there was no way finding one.