Sign in to follow this  
Captain Swoop

Greetings from Yorkshire, (another new Brit)

Captain Swoop

Hi folks, just signed up but I have been 'lurking' for a while.

I have been looking around various sites and after reading threads and looking at the resources and tutorials as well as the 'banter' I think this is the best.

I own a Gen Omega Seamaster that I have had for about 10 years, I got into Replica watches as I wanted a Seamaster I could wear without worrying about getting it damaged.

I have also had a go at repairing a couple of cheap watches and managed more by luck than design to get them working again.

What I aim to do now is try and put together a nice GMT Master II and this seems to be the place to help. Some of the guys posting on here are absolute Masters and willing to help and share with others.

Hope to have some fun

Captain Swoop

olly593

Hello and welcome, good to have another Brit

Cyril_Clunge

Welcome aboard Cap'n

Luthier

Welcome aboard, Captain!

For now you're just a Private, but with time... after reading for a few weeks, maybe you'll become Captain again.

J/K...

Feel free to ask Qs, we love it!!!

;)

onionbag

Ay oop! Captain Swoop! :D

Hello and welcome from Scotland.

jeffw69

The forum is being over run with Brits!

:fuck:

Welcome - from US of A

powderfreak

Helcome :)

You will certainly find something for your taste - I myself have a GMT Master II ceramic with asian clone and wrong/incorrect handstack. It came from MarvellousReplica and wasn't too expensive at about 220USD including shipping and everything. I really love it and believe that's just about everything you need.

Of course you could also go even cheaper and buy a 21j movement. Or you could get a swiss and even spend some bucks to improve it (build a franken, include gen parts, etc.). My advice is to read a bit before you buy something! Over time you tend to get away from the "cheapies", but on the other hand you still buy reps - imo it's best to stay within a reasonable price range (100-400$ depending on the watch).

Good luck and happy hunting ;)

sconehead

The forum is being over run with Brits!

:fuck:

Welcome - from US of A

...it's always been our custom to allow the odd colonial though...we have a sense of fair play you see...:P

Welcome to the forum Cpt...:D

Captain Swoop

Helcome :)

You will certainly find something for your taste - I myself have a GMT Master II ceramic with asian clone and wrong/incorrect handstack. It came from MarvellousReplica and wasn't too expensive at about 220USD including shipping and everything. I really love it and believe that's just about everything you need.

Of course you could also go even cheaper and buy a 21j movement. Or you could get a swiss and even spend some bucks to improve it (build a franken, include gen parts, etc.). My advice is to read a bit before you buy something! Over time you tend to get away from the "cheapies", but on the other hand you still buy reps - imo it's best to stay within a reasonable price range (100-400$ depending on the watch).

Good luck and happy hunting ;)

I already have a 'Sterile' Parnis GMT, I was thinking of 'modding' it myself, it only cost $70 and is cheap enough to use as a training piece to learn the skills. That is if I can find a dial at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the welcome folks, didn't expect as many replies in such a short time!

Del

Hello and welcome! :thumbsup2:

Corv99

Welcome mate,

where abouts in yorkshire are you? ( In in Newcastle by the way)

Captain Swoop

I am near Whitby

powderfreak

I already have a 'Sterile' Parnis GMT, I was thinking of 'modding' it myself, it only cost $70 and is cheap enough to use as a training piece to learn the skills. That is if I can find a dial at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the welcome folks, didn't expect as many replies in such a short time!

Sounds like a 21j - dunno if a dealer could get you a dial, but depending on how skilled you are it doesn't make much sense. A new rep with the same movement would be about 120$. I doubt that you can get a dial for less than 30$, I wouldn't want to risk breaking my stuff to save 20$ in the end.

On the other hand if you enjoy working with watches, go for it! I have two left hands and stubby fingers, I wouldn't :lol:

Satvc

Howdy from the south coast!!

Captain Swoop

Sounds like a 21j - dunno if a dealer could get you a dial, but depending on how skilled you are it doesn't make much sense. A new rep with the same movement would be about 120$. I doubt that you can get a dial for less than 30$, I wouldn't want to risk breaking my stuff to save 20$ in the end.

On the other hand if you enjoy working with watches, go for it! I have two left hands and stubby fingers, I wouldn't :lol:

I like doing 'fiddly' stuff I want to have a go myself. I build and repair etched brass model railway loco kits so I am used to fine work. I have been studying the various tutorial threads on the board and it looks fairly straight forward (what a noob thing to say lol)

Edited by Captain Swoop

Nisv

Hello Captain, welcome :)

northcountryboy1976

hey, a warm welcome from Edinburgh :)

powderfreak

I like doing 'fiddly' stuff I want to have a go myself. I build and repair etched brass model railway loco kits so I am used to fine work. I have been studying the various tutorial threads on the board and it looks fairly straight forward (what a noob thing to say lol)

Good luck then :) - and make sure you post pictures of your work ;)

robznet

Hi from the Midlands!

Gazillionaire

Howdy, enjoy the forum :)

freeflow

welcome fellow tyke

Captain Swoop

WHat bit are you in? Yorkshire is a big place (For the UK) :)

greg_r

Welcome! Always good to see another Brit on here - we need to keep these damned colonials outnumbered, y'know! :D

Mazz

And don't forget the vikings too............................. :kinkythegayviking:

And don't forget the vikings too............................. :kinkythegayviking:

solkryssare

I'm glad you decided to join in on the fun mate :) Welcome