Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Rolex Explorer 2 21J cheapie

greg_r

I ordered this together with the DateJust that arrived the other week, but it wasn't in stock at the time, so it ended up getting sent separately, just squeaking in under the wire before the CNY shutdown ;)

I really picked this up on a whim - I didn't have a GMT watch in my collection and thought it would be cool to have one. I've owned a couple of Rollie GMTIIs in the past, but gotten bored with them and moved 'em on, so I figured an Explorer 2 might be a good alternative. The Explorer 2 is a relatively new model, looking very much like the earlier version but in a larger case, being the biggest watch Rolex make after the DSSD.

I tend not to buy cheapies too often these days, preferring to go for high-beat movements for most of my watches. However, in this case I really wasn't at all sure how well I'd get on with it, so figured that a cheapie would be a good start. I could always upgrade to the new 'Ultimate' version later. As it turns out, I think it was the right decision, as whilst I like the watch, I have a feeling it's not going to get as much wrist time as my other Rollies. It's powered by the usual 21J with an independently adjustable GMT hand. The quality of the case itself is excellent, and looks like it might actually be the same case as used for the upmarket versions. The obvious differences between this and the upmarket rep being that the lume is both relatively poor and the wrong colour (should be blue, but is green on this version) and there's no glidelock clasp on the bracelet. Nevertheless, this is a surprisingly nice watch considering the low price.

The Explorer 2 is nominally 42mm, but wears bigger. It's not as bulky as the DSSD, though, being quite a lot thinner - which may make it preferable to a lot of folks. To me it feels a little smaller than my SOH but just a bit larger than my UN Diver which, at 43mm is supposedly bigger. Go figure.

Anyway, enough drivel - here's a few pics

rolex-exp2-1.JPG

rolex-exp2-2.JPG

rolex-exp3.JPG

rolex-exp2-w.JPG

James.

Classy watch mate. Nice buy

Del

That looks very nice! I've swithered about this model on and off for a while now.

I love the size comparisons that you normally give in your reviews - very helpful to gauge how the watch will look on the wrist. :thumbsup2:

I'm now more used to wearing bigger watches (despite my girly wrists! :P ) and sometimes think that 40-42mm is a tad on the small side but, in this case, it doesn't sound like it. ;)

greg_r

Thanks guys :)

DarkGlass

Very very nice

jeffw69

Interesting!

Member X

Looks good :)

These are quite tempting, especially at the 21j prices!

Rehaut engraving looks excellent as well, nicely lined up :)

NCRich

Very nice Greg.

NFleischer

Nice- I like the new size. The older 40mm. reps wear small.

How about a black face- is that out yet?

gazzy

If you don't mind me asking,where was it from Greg.That's the first Rolex I've seen that I like,looks good.

Member X

Both black and white are out IIRC.

I believe any of the Trusted Dealers should be able to get them

greg_r

If you don't mind me asking,where was it from Greg.That's the first Rolex I've seen that I like,looks good.

As X says, most of the trusted dealers should be able to supply these.

KeNnY

Oh I jumped here because I though you are already selling it :D damn I was wrong :D But again thanks for the review, there is something that is attractive about this watch... and of course I would lume the shit out of it

greg_r

hehe - the lume is its weak point. The upmarket versions are superlumed, but this one is very weak (as well as being the wrong colour). Okay for the price, but if I was going to wear it a lot, I think I'd have to upgrade to the better version (or get you to lume it ;) )

KeNnY

nice :) but wonder how the higher version is lumed, I always noticed that they use weaker lume for the indexes. it looks really well made for the price for sure, I think I have even seen the cheaper version superlumed (but maybe I am wrong).

PM me then when you want to share the watch , ehm tune up the watch :D I am already thinking and hoping that those dial indexes are not painted in black, because when I would like to get off the stock lume the best way is put indexes into acetone.

duke

These are awesome reps, I just received one last week and while I absolutely LOVE the watch I ultimately flipped it 2 days later because it was too big! I was really surprised at how much bigger it really was than the subs and SDs I compared it to. According to my digital calipers it was almost 43mm across the bezel and over 45mm with crown. Almost the same size as my DSSD! The dial actually looks much bigger than the DSSD.

greg_r

Yes, it's big for a Rolex, although it still wears a good deal smaller than the DSSD (which is a lot thicker).

pollux1

I like it, your pics are droolworthy too mate.

greg_r

Thanks mate :)

sacster

Just so I know......what is the little button on the opposite side to the crown on Rolex, Breitling, etc? Is it a reset?

Member X

Some have little click buttons to move the date forward a day or adjust the GMT hand (I think).

greg_r

Just so I know......what is the little button on the opposite side to the crown on Rolex, Breitling, etc? Is it a reset?

It's not on all models, but I think you're probably thinking of the HE valve (to release pressure following a dive)

Captain Swoop

Helium Valves allow over pressure to escape fom inside the case. Divers who go below 3ft need to breathe a special gas mixcture ,the Nitrogen is replaced with Helium.

They are put into a chamber and the atmospheric pressure is slowly raised and the gas mixture changed.

They are lowered down to their diving depth and live their for up to a fortnight or so going into the water through a special dive hatch. When they surface the gas mixture and pressure are slowly normalised before they can exit the chamber.

Because the Helium gas molecule is so small and it is under pressure it forces its way into the watch. Helium Valves allow the pressure in the watch to be normalised as the pressure of the atmosphere returns to normal. If this wasn't done the Crystal could blow out on the watch.

kwatch

Nice watch greg...I'll be waiting to see this beauty pop up on the member sales section once you are ready to move on.... :giggle:

Baldrick
Divers who go below 3ft need to breathe a special gas mixcture

I go below 3ft when I'm washing my hair :rofl: