Sign in to follow this  
KeNnY

VINTAGE PRIM watch refurbishing and Ultimate modding

KeNnY

VINTAGE PRIM watch refurbishing and Ultimate modding

Hello all :) So we are back again to show you some another project that I have done recently.. There is another Prim watch after this one I would like to bring back to life, and the second prim on the right, will help me in my goal, but this is another modding topic :)

The watch we are going to mod, is a bit smaller that I am used to, but it has got something that is attractive. It is around 30 years old, and quite well preserved, as it keeps great time from stock. Even with a bit higher beat error, but still runs great :)

Here is video for you of showing it how it looked like before.

The watch is made in Czechoslovakia, as the PRIM was monopoly in CCCP era of our country.

Well I can say, lets check the pics, because they will say more than my test here, what all I have done :) ENJOY

dsc0069kl.jpg

dsc0070zj.jpg

dsc0072bt.jpg

dsc0074npp.jpg

dsc0078h.jpg

After this stage, the watch was still not done anything :) but then I had a spare superluminova BG-W9, and I don't wanted to put it into trash, so I though it would be great to relume the watch, and make it more Modern :)

dsc0091un.jpg

dsc0092wj.jpg

dsc0093gc.jpg

dsc0097xd.jpg

I have also ultrasonic cleaned the case and polished with cape code cloth.

dsc0101cq.jpg

And I had a spare Rolex type high dome Plexi with Cyclops from Cousins :) SO I have replaced the crystal, giving the watch totally new look !

dsc0104ap.jpg

dsc0105wt.jpg

dsc0106oj.jpg

dsc0107tk.jpg

dsc0109jxeh.jpg

Time to check the timekeeping. WOW +6 Second after 30 years with no service ? AWESOME ! :) but then I have regulate it after a week again, as the watch was stored in shelve for 15-20 years :)

dsc0110pj.jpg

dsc0111lm.jpg

So lets see finished product ! :) All put back, and just waiting the mesh strap I have ordered for it.

dsc0112ab.jpg

dsc0113l.jpg

dsc0114yb.jpg

dsc0115bp.jpg

dsc0116z.jpg

dsc0119q.jpg

And here is the watch on wrist with the new mesh band ! :) The mesh is 18mm width.

dsc0244bi.jpg

dsc0245vn.jpg

And last artistic photos from work, my colleague had his professional camera at work.. So I took some quick pictures :)

dsc9380w.jpg

dsc9381e.jpg

dsc9382k.jpg

dsc9383.jpg

dsc9384n.jpg

And videos of course :) The second video is how I regulated the watch again.

I will post the second video and some pics in next post, as I have again reached limit cap.

Thank you for letting me shared and I hope you Enjoyed :)

KeNnY

dsc9385l.jpg

dsc9388.jpg

dsc9390.jpg

Crusader

Lovely, I just love it when watches (or cars) that old gets restored into new condition. And like I said, it would look great on nato, but then again, it would be too light :D

But I can't imagine how difficult is to apply lume on dial like that, with printed markers? Do you actually apply the lume on the numbers or do you have any special method? I was always wondering about that...

KeNnY

Lovely, I just love it when watches (or cars) that old gets restored into new condition. And like I said, it would look great on nato, but then again, it would be too light :D

But I can't imagine how difficult is to apply lume on dial like that, with printed markers? Do you actually apply the lume on the numbers or do you have any special method? I was always wondering about that...

Thank you mate again :) you even found my video on youtube before I posted this here :D the NATO band could be some orange blue type :) but I like more bracelets, it gives shine :) or I could try some leather black strap :)

I was amazed how well this relume job went, I had great mixture of the lume, so it was not that runny :) I use bergeon oilers, and the tiniest I can get, you can see it in one picture, it is red one oiler.

I just take really small bouble and "draw" it to the number.. Much much easier would be to do it with stylograph, but I already have experience with the 2x Porsche design divers, so it went well. :) Other great thing was that those numbers were embossed, so how the liquid works, if good consistency, it will not fall off the "hill" but will stay on top :) I had 2 small leakages on 7 o'clock and 5 o'clock but I then repaired it.

Thank you very much for your comment :)

powderfreak

LOL first I read "Vintage Pam" and was close to not opening the thread :D But then I read again.... haha! Nicely done, Kenny. The watch is not really my cup of tea but you certainly did a good job here.

KeNnY

LOL first I read "Vintage Pam" and was close to not opening the thread :D But then I read again.... haha! Nicely done, Kenny. The watch is not really my cup of tea but you certainly did a good job here.

Thanks mate :) yeah It is not something that everyone will droll about it, but for instance Bonesey at RWI really liked it, what I though he would do, as he has passion for high doomed plexis as well :D

Nisv

Damn, that's amazing :thumbsup:

KeNnY

Damn, that's amazing :thumbsup:

Thank you buddy :) Happy that here are folks that like it also :)

Anhel

Thank.....Nice Work.

KeNnY

Thank you

Anhel :)

robznet

I was late seeing this thread, sorry. This is truly awesome work Kenny, brilliant pics and so interesting to read! Thanks for sharing mate. :thumbsup2:

UndercoverProp

Thanks for sharing Kenny - I always look forward to your next project with anticipation...Great work!

WebWind

Now it looks completly different. I like it on mesh band.

Comrades in PRIM never dreamed about their watches with high doomed plexi and cyclop :D

Great work!

KeNnY

I was late seeing this thread, sorry. This is truly awesome work Kenny, brilliant pics and so interesting to read! Thanks for sharing mate. :thumbsup2:

Thank you Rob :) really happy that you like it :)

Thanks for sharing Kenny - I always look forward to your next project with anticipation...Great work!

Thank you buddy ! :D I have one more PRIM watch, from my grandfather to but back to life :)

Now it looks completly different. I like it on mesh band.

Comrades in PRIM never dreamed about their watches with high doomed plexi and cyclop :D

Great work!

Thanks mate ! :D

Yeah, they would be all over the superluminova too for army use :DDDD

Cynikal.Mindset

needs more super tall crystal!!!!!

I like it...good work like usual

KeNnY

needs more super tall crystal!!!!!

I like it...good work like usual

Mooooooooooooooooore ! But they do any bigger :(

:lol:

THanks buddy :)

Takken

That looks great Kenny :D

KeNnY

That looks great Kenny :D

Thank you mate :D

greg_r

Lovely watch and a great job of refurbishing, mate. Would look even better on a nice blue leather band IMHO.

PRIM does, however, sound like it ought to be a feminine hygiene product, but what the hell ;)

KeNnY

Lovely watch and a great job of refurbishing, mate. Would look even better on a nice blue leather band IMHO.

PRIM does, however, sound like it ought to be a feminine hygiene product, but what the hell ;)

Thank you buddy, ery happy you like it. BLue leather ? Where I can buy one ? The watch is really small :D It would look like kids watch on your wrist :D

p20120118092030.jpg

Well, I don't understand why they made it PRIM :) it doesn't resemble any word here, maybe it can be translated like "Good" or "Ok". it is from 1949, and was monopoly in my country.

gazzy

Absolutely bloody amazing,have you had any training or all self taught Kenny.

KeNnY

Absolutely bloody amazing,have you had any training or all self taught Kenny.

Thank you mate :)

I read much on the net, watch much tutorials and tried to learn so much possible from given tips, and learn from my mistakes.

DOn't know any watchmaker here in Slovakia :(

g.man

Fabulous work there Kenny!

respect

g.man

KeNnY

Fabulous work there Kenny!

respect

g.man

Thank you very much buddy ! :) I am really happy that you all like it