Sign in to follow this  
Pohoho

How to improve Power Reserve on Enicar Hand Wind?

Pohoho

Just a fun project I'm on now.

Got an Enicar Ocean Pearl handwind (from the 1970s as you can see from the "March '78" marking inside the caseback) from a friend. It's got a nice dial and beautiful movement, plus my son don't mind having so it's getting a new lease of life. Chucked the old bracelet for a pair of old straps and it scored higher in the looks department.

enicaroceanpearl.th.jpg

enicarmovement.th.jpg

A time test on a full wind only gave 15hr plus of power reserve.

I'm suspecting two things:

1) that's the norm for old watch? Or more of a wear and tear process?

2) the parts needs some oiling, time adjustment feels rather snug, perhaps from lack of lubrication? If so, where do I go for here as to main oiling points?

(Hope not to do a full strip down and re-assembly. Those tiny screws are so fond of jumping from my pincers I just lost one last night.... sigh!)

offshore

Yeh, what you said in 1 & 2!

But short of a full strip down, clean, dry, reassemble with appropriate oiling, your PR will not improve.

In fact it may not, even after a full service, but at least the watch will have been given another life.

A lot of Enicar models ran ETA movements, so you can get some oil charts at https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDefault.aspx, if you can identify the movement.

Offshore

Pohoho

Thank a mil Offshore on the source for ETA oil charts!

Unfortunately I was not able to identify the movement and it seems like they produced their own in-house movement.