Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

PAM 390 - a base PAM with a difference

greg_r

I blame Sol for this. I swore I wasn't going to buy another watch this month, let alone yet another bloody PAM, but then Sol mentioned that he'd ordered the new PAM390 rep (the gen being one of the most sought-after new releases from Panerai - buyers have been flipping them for 40% over retail) and I just had to do it.

You see, despite being a confirmed Panerai whore, I've never actually owned a 44mm base PAM. I've been meaning to buy one for ages, but I have a 111, so a 112 seemed too similar. Same with the 177 vs 176. Then, just as I was thinking of buying an 000, I got an opportunity to pick up a 318, and so it goes... The 390 is a base PAM with a difference, though - it has a dark brown dial, vintage style gold hands and the 'patina lume' as found on several other models - notably the 187. It also has a closed caseback complete with engraved Panerai sub. I couldn't resist.

Of course, it's a new model AND it's CNY, so with my preferred dealer (MReplica) already on holiday, I plumped for the only dealer likely to get one sent before the EMS shutdown last weekend - Josh. I ordered it on Wednesday evening, QC pics arrived a few hours later and he shipped on Thursday. It would have arrived here on Tuesday of this week if it hadn't been for ParcelFarce shipping it to the wrong bloody depot, but even so it arrived in less than a week from order.

I ordered it on rubber - largely because I was running out of 22mm Panerai buckles and didn't want an untapered strap, which was the other option. On arrival, the rubber strap was ripped off unceremoniously (I dislike rubber watchbands). I wasn't quite sure what to replace it with, though - the watch supposedly has a vintage look, so I first tried a spare ammo strap I had knocking around, but it just confirmed my opinion that vintage-straps look crappy on modern PAMs, so that came off again to be replaced with a brown croc strap that I had spare. It's still not the right combo, but it will do for now until I work out what will look best.

This rep comes from the H-factory. The last couple of H-factory PAMs I've had have looked good, but just haven't felt quite as well built as the noob versions. I'm pleased to say that they seem to have upped their game with this one, though - the feel of the movement when winding or adjusting the hands is very positive and gen-like, likewise the rough CG edges, apparent on some H-factory models (my 318 notably) are absent here. Very pleased indeed with the general quality.

The sausage dial is nicely done, appearing brown in some lighting conditions and almost black in others. Lume is excellent, albeit not as torch-like as that on my 318 and 177L, but the so-called 'patina lume' is always a little dimmer in my experience.

Overall, I'm delighted with the watch. I'm now going to try and stop buying 44mm PAMs as it's getting bloody ridiculous.

Enough drivel, here's some quick iPhone pics.

pam390-1.JPG

pam390-2.JPG

pam390-3.JPG

pam390_w.JPG

pam390back.JPG

Edit:

Okay, after some experimentation and several more straps, I think I've finally got the combo right:

pam390-020212.JPG

The light tan complements the colour of the indices well. I really like the combo.

For what it's worth, I figure this to be one of the best PAM reps out there at the moment. It's certainly in the same league with the noob 111m/n

KinCaidk

nice, G.. Got a shot of the back too?

greg_r

dammit - I knew I forgot something. Hang on and I'll take a quick snap.

solkryssare

It was my pleasure being able to add to you addiction. You weren't that hard to convince after all :D The 390 is just as stunning as I had hoped for!

greg_r

okay, shot of the back added

Thanks Sol - hope you get yours soon! :D

KinCaidk

now I like the watch even better. I like the closed caseback versions.

is the rubber seal not correctly seated, btw?

Wiz

Is the cannon pinion flattened and polished straight from the factory??

greg_r

Yep

Amit

bastard!!

I think i need one of these

Wiz

Yep

Yep

That's so cool! :D

Congrats on the purchase, it looks awesome!

greg_r

thanks mate :)

jackagi

I have to resist.....

greg_r

I have to resist.....

Resistance is futile!

Cyril_Clunge

Oh crap. I think I'm finally starting to see the appeal of these things.

greg_r

Oh crap. I think I'm finally starting to see the appeal of these things.

You're doomed. DOOOOOOOOMED! :D

deja123

Which Dealer gregr?!

jeffw69

:facepalm:

Where is tyrant blade to comment on your lovely new PAM???

greg_r

Which Dealer gregr?!

Read the review you must. Mentioned in there he is. :yoda:

Josh - as I said above he was the only one likely to ship before CNY

deja123

Ok was too much Text ;-)

greg_r

lazy sod. :lol:

jeffw69

where's the unboxing video?

greg_r

Oh sorry. Forgot that. Only problem is that I already opened the box. Tell you what - here's a boxing video instead.

Del

Very nice G. I've already seen a few photos of this model and I have to say that I'm also tempted - it's gorgeous! :drool:

Like you though, my PAM addiction has been getting worse so I'm trying desperately to resist, futile or not! :lol: I've even got a 243L waiting for me to open in the office but I'm still off work sick.......would you Adam and Eve it?! :frusty:

Enjoy the new watch! :thumbsup2:

greg_r

Very nice G. I've already seen a few photos of this model and I have to say that I'm also tempted - it's gorgeous! :drool:

Like you though, my PAM addiction has been getting worse so I'm trying desperately to resist, futile or not! :lol: I've even got a 243L waiting for me to open in the office but I'm still off work sick.......would you Adam and Eve it?! :frusty:

Enjoy the new watch! :thumbsup2:

Get well soon, mate.

As for resisting, well I decided not to bother any more. All it does is delay the moment - at which point I go completely nuts and buy several at once. I'm just gonna enjoy being weak for a while... ;)

solkryssare

There is no way to resist true beauty. Everything Panerai has done over the years finally came together in an orgasm of perfection.