Sign in to follow this  
kelrob

Authentic Seiko or not

kelrob

Hello

My son is wanting to purchase a Seiko watch from a dealer, Time-affair in Singapore, trading on ebay for $143.19

the particular watch SEIKO MENS BLUE DIAL SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL TITANIUM 100M WATCH SGG 729.

I have tried to find some information about this watch & dealer but have not had much luck, any advice or information would be most welcome, as I am concerned he will be doing his Christmas money.

Thanks in advance.

Bob.

paule11

He has good feedback it should be real

powderfreak

Posting a link usually helps :)

BTW: Welcome to the forum :wave:

Maybe you want to wait a bit until you/he buy/s a watch - maybe you end up wanting a nice Omega or so more than that Seiko :D

Trolex

found the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-MENS-BLUE-DIAL-SAPPHIRE-CRYSTAL-TITANIUM-100M-WATCH-SGG729-/220855701434#ht_2819wt_1348

I don't see any reason for the watch to not be real. You can buy a lot of Seikos in that price range. In fact, I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a replica Seiko before?

If you think your son might be a little bit 'rough' with the watch, or want something a little bit more radical look into the seiko5 monster. It's a cheaper version of Seiko's Monster dive watch (but it's about $100 less, with a lower water resistance rating and the Seiko5 movement vs a higher end Seiko movement).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=seiko5+monster&_sacat=0&_odkw=seiko+mini+monster&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Trolex

oh, and welcome to RWG

myaz

Thanks for doing the work with the link.

+1 to what you say.

Seikos are usually not very exciting to look at but they just keep on ticking. Hard to go wrong there.

Alternately, he could fall in love with a 21J from "Noob dust factory" and come to regret it.

Oh, and welcome to RWG

offshore

Looks gen, but you would never know until you looked at the movement.

Have seen a couple of copy Seikos recently, and they can't be picked without looking at the movement.

O/S

trailboss99

The below link is probably one of the best overall tutorials on spotting fake Seikos.

http://quartzimodo.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-seiko-watch/

There is a diver specific opne on one of the specilist Seiko Diver's forums which i will go look for if you need it.

rhounsell

The below link is probably one of the best overall tutorials on spotting fake Seikos.

http://quartzimodo.c...ke-seiko-watch/

There is a diver specific opne on one of the specilist Seiko Diver's forums which i will go look for if you need it.

An interesting read, I never had any idea that a rep Seiko world even existed (atleast not in the 5 series), but as the article suggested it's all supply and demand I guess.

Though I'm sure the item mentioned in OP is pretty safe based on 1000+ positive responses (I'm sure someone would have caught any issues by now)

kelrob

Just like to thank every one for the replies, & I am gobsmacked at the world of replicas, Some how I think I will be looking for a replica watch myself shortly Love that Omega po 42mm dator was selling.

Once again thanks for the replies.

torobravo

In Singapore, gen watches have better prices, if seller feedback is good, it can't go wrong