Sign in to follow this  
ScottDy

SOH V2 crown issue

ScottDy

Well, it's happened! I can no longer screw in the crown on my SOH v2.,Well, actually the crown will not catch when trying to screw it in. I've had the watch for a year or so and until recently it's been fine but now it's definitely a problem. I've read that this is a known issue with this watch (tube or threads on the inside of the crown are shot) so I was wondering if any of our resident watch repair guys could fix this for me. Mary said she would take care of it if I send it back but I'm really hesitant to do that as I know that if it goes missing, I'll be SOL. So I'd rather pay to get it fixed and not worry about losing it while it travels back and forth to the factory. Anyone up for the job or have any suggestions?

Luthier

Push tube out of the case for about 1mm.

ScottDy

What can I use to push the tube out? I hope that doesn't sound too ignorant but I don't have many watch tools and it looks like the tube is press fit pretty tightly into the case.

ScottDy

Hey, I figured out how to push the tube out about 1 mm or so and it fixed the problem. I can now screw in the crown stem and it stays in tightly. Many thanks to Luthier for the great idea.

Member X

Nice one :)

Did you take any pictures while you were doing it? ;)

P4GTR

what did you use to push it out?

Luthier

You're very welcome, mate.

BigBuys

You're very welcome, mate.

He may not look like much but he appears to be a genius!

ScottDy

I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures. I took the watch apart, then I used a about a 5 inch piece of a 3/32 brass rod as a punch and tapped out the tube from the inside of the case. I used a 1/2" nylon bushing between the case and the workbench surface to surround the tube and rest the case on, then I put the rod in the hole the tube is pressed into and using a small hammer tapped the edge of the tube with a couple of fairly good smacks until the tube backed out about half way. I then screwed the stem into the tube (without the movement installed), made sure it was secure and tapped the crown with the hammer (yeah, I know) until the crown was flush with the case. It turns out the the small collar on the bottom of the tube (actually its in the middle, but its the bottom of the section thats outside the case and is used as a stop when the tube is pressed in) is only about 1mm from being flush after this procedure was done. So I guess you could try to eyeball that if you don't want to hit the end of the crown as described above. Well, that's about it, hope this makes sense. Good luck

pollux1

That's a bloody good tip G.

kolchak

Sounds like the perfect fix for all those lovely broken soh's laying in peoples boxes