Sign in to follow this  
landwomble

building a watch - what about women's watches

landwomble

kind of tempted to build my other half a watch: I've been thinking about doing my own 6497 manual-based one, but as I've basically got getatwatch to build the one I wanted for me, I was wondering about ladies' watches.

Steel cases are pretty easy to get hold of in men's styles, particularly the military/pam clone type, but I've not really seen any for women. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap source of these? Also, what are good movements to fit in these - again, with the militare type pretty much most 6497 and 6498 movements fit, but I haven't a clue about smaller movements.

Can anyone recommend some good case/movement combos so I can get googling?

Member X

I seriously want to build a franken datejust as apparently you can pick up all the parts bar the movement secondhand and then just get the suitable ETA movement and a stilty adaptor ring to make it fit. Can be done for under £500 apparently!

You could build a mid-size version for your good lady as they're 'girly' sized and (I imagine) cheaper than the mens, bigger sizes.

Not sure what movement you'd use though as I don't know what size all the movements are...

:)