Sign in to follow this  
Massimo

Feeling the Fiddy Fever

Massimo

OK, guys, I get it now. I've been wearing the Fiddy for a few days now and loving it. I have a PAM111 and I like that, although I'd been wearing it less often than I used to. The Fiddy though is extra special. The polished bezel set against the brushed case, the gentle curve of the crystal, the huge status it has on the wrist due to the sheer size, it all adds up to a truly great package. Also as a tool for telling the time it is unparalleled, no problems reading it without my glasses with this watch :)

What I'm getting round to is that I can now understand how you all got hooked on PAMs and homages, and I hadn't got it before.

One question after I did a bit of Googling about the 127. Is it really true that Panerai only made 1950 of these? Surely not, they'd be mad to limit it to that number, there must be 1950 reps just on the wrists of forum members!

Fiddy01800.jpg

greg_r

Yep, it was a limited edition, which is why used gens now fetch around double their original list price. For my money, the Fiddy is the iconic Panerai watch - 44mm PAMs are great, but the Fiddy is in an entirely different league imho. Glad you're enjoying that rep as much as I did. :)

In a similar style (i.e. 47mm) there was also the 203, which used a vintage Angelus 8 day movement (even rarer, they only made 150 of them), and the 217 (which has the crown and CG at 9 - 1,000 made).

I'm not bothered about the 217, but I'd like a rep 203 at some point..

Massimo
Yep, it was a limited edition, which is why used gens now fetch around double their original list price. For my money, the Fiddy is the iconic Panerai watch - 44mm PAMs are great, but the Fiddy is in an entirely different league imho. Glad you're enjoying that rep as much as I did. :D

Yep, I agree it's the iconic model so I think they are nuts not to be making the 127. Mind you, much as I like them, I also think the 44mm gen 111s are a ridiculous price since, as far as I can tell, the rep is almost the same watch, even down to the movement. Must be £200 for the movement and case, plus three grand for a different escapement...

greg_r
Yep, it was a limited edition, which is why used gens now fetch around double their original list price. For my money, the Fiddy is the iconic Panerai watch - 44mm PAMs are great, but the Fiddy is in an entirely different league imho. Glad you're enjoying that rep as much as I did. :D

Yep, I agree it's the iconic model so I think they are nuts not to be making the 127. Mind you, much as I like them, I also think the 44mm gen 111s are a ridiculous price since, as far as I can tell, the rep is almost the same watch, even down to the movement. Must be £200 for the movement and case, plus three grand for a different escapement...

Yeah, the gen 6497-based PAMs are desperately overpriced for what they are, imho - but then aren't most gen watches? Who here thinks that the Breitling SOH is good value at £2500? :D

Anyhow, if I were to buy a gen 44mm Panerai, it would have to be one with an in-house movement. If I had the money, though, I'd be far more tempted to find an Angelus movement and get a custom 203 built....